PDA

View Full Version : Hair-line Scratches

zola66
16th August 2008, 09:39
Hi, can anyone recommend a valet or suggest how I get rid of the hair-line scratches on my paint work, if it helps I live in S/W London.

Ken
16th August 2008, 09:42
Hi, can anyone recommend a valet or suggest how I get rid of the hair-line scratches on my paint work, if it helps I live in S/W London.

I use the coloured polish on them and it works very well and a cheap remedy. I will get them done properly one day with a detailer but as yet I haven't done that.

Ken

nick nick
16th August 2008, 09:50
I use the coloured polish on them and it works very well and a cheap remedy. I will get them done properly one day with a detailer but as yet I haven't done that.

Ken

Good mourning Ken
I have not used it myself but i thought this is what the clay bars
were for
Best Regards
NICK NICK:driving:

GERFIX
16th August 2008, 11:04
Good mourning Ken
I have not used it myself but i thought this is what the clay bars
were for
Best Regards
NICK NICK:driving:
The clay bars are for removing surface contamination from the paintwork/windows. You need a cutting compound or scratch remover to take scratches out. For deeper scratches, wet sanding is a more severe removal method and one which is probably best left to a professional valeter/detailer.
This (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81147&highlight=removal) may give some idea of the process involved.

HTH

Greeners
16th August 2008, 12:07
Go to a big Halfords and get a tube of Scratch-X. Then go into your local Tesco's and in the cleaning section you'll find microfibre cloths.

Put the two together with a bit of elbow grease, and bingo, no more scratches.

Tatts
16th August 2008, 12:49
Go to a big Halfords and get a tube of Scratch-X. Then go into your local Tesco's and in the cleaning section you'll find microfibre cloths.

Where does one purchase this mysterious product called elbow grease?

I've heard it mentioned many times, but never found any for sale. :(

Greeners
16th August 2008, 13:17
Where does one purchase this mysterious product called elbow grease?

I've heard it mentioned many times, but never found any for sale. :(

son, if you don't know by now, you never will........;)

keiron99
16th August 2008, 13:58

I've tried various of these products over the years with almost negligible success. They can reduce light swirling, but little more in my experience.

I too wonder how to remove scratches which are to shallow to require painting, but too deep for elbow grease. Do you need a machine polisher?

Greeners
16th August 2008, 14:05
Scratch-X does exactly what is says on the tin (sorry tube)

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=301&gclid=CJSz7M3DkpUCFROI1QodXRXyfg

I've removed some very bad scratching with it.....

nick nick
16th August 2008, 17:35
The clay bars are for removing surface contamination from the paintwork/windows. You need a cutting compound or scratch remover to take scratches out. For deeper scratches, wet sanding is a more severe removal method and one which is probably best left to a professional valeter/detailer.
This (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81147&highlight=removal) may give some idea of the process involved.

HTH

I stand corrected

Tatts
16th August 2008, 17:42
Serious mode now.

Are they scratches or swirls?

If it's a scratch - rule of thumb is; if you can rub your thumbnail over the scratch and it catches, then it's too deep to 'polish' out.

Scratch X will remove swirls, but it's hard work. Depending on the severity of the swirls, a good 'filler' polish is Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, topped off with a decent wax. That'll help hide them.

The alternative is a machine paintwork correction.

trebor
16th August 2008, 21:33
As Tatts says if the scratch is light and doesnt catch your nail they can be polished out with a professional polisher.

I have a Sonus polisher and have removed scratches in this way but you are a bit too far way otherwise i would have taken a look for you.

baxlin
17th August 2008, 08:16
I was speaking to a Megs salesman at a show (OK he was there to sell, but I'd already got the Scratch-X) and he said not to do more than four or five "passes" with the Scratch-X, as it was absorbed into the cloth, and you'd merely be rubbing the cloth over the scratch.

You should stop, apply a little more product, THEN continue.

I tried this on Mrs Baxlin's metallic/clearcoat Clio, and had much more success in removing the marks.

I then applied polish, and finished off with Autobalm wax, which itself disguises swirlmarks/shallow scratches.

HTH

malcolm

MrBitsy
17th August 2008, 21:58
I've tried various of these products over the years with almost negligible success. They can reduce light swirling, but little more in my experience.

I too wonder how to remove scratches which are to shallow to require painting, but too deep for elbow grease. Do you need a machine polisher?

As Tatts has said, there are two ways to go.

1.. Use something like ScratchX and polish by hand. If you are prepared for a lot of work, you can remove some of the scratches. I polished My Rover for a week (:D) last year to remove most of the swirls. You then use a product with 'fillers' that should mask many of the remaining swirls.

2.. Instead of buying all the polishes, cloths and getting completely knackered, buy A Meguairs G220 polisher. I did my rover in a day, removing all swirls in the process. I got this G220 Menzerna kit (http://tinyurl.com/6hhm3l)