PDA

View Full Version : Kv6 catch tank

gazcaz
22nd August 2016, 11:29
Checked catch tank today nearly full.it had what i would call brown watery liquid in it.i presume that would of passed through inlet manifold if i did not have this.Def worth fitting.:D

Can see how full it is.

jonc3725
22nd August 2016, 21:07
Good job and nice to know.

Which vent hoses have you plumbed your tank into mate?

gazcaz
22nd August 2016, 21:46
Good job and nice to know.

Which vent hoses have you plumbed your tank into mate?

Large pipe that goes to top of Inlet manifold body...Pic attached not mine but shows which pipe....

Dallas
22nd August 2016, 22:02
Ok Gaz! are you brewing cider, or catching fish? :eek:

What the blooming ek! is a catch tank on a V6?

jonc3725
22nd August 2016, 22:24
Large pipe that goes to top of Inlet manifold body...Pic attached not mine but shows which pipe....

Cheers mate thats how I have plumber mine as well:bowdown:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h476/jonc3725/20160424_104750.jpg

Ok Gaz! are you brewing cider, or catching fish? :eek:

What the blooming ek! is a catch tank on a V6?

Wes,

An oil catch can takes out the oil vapour and moisture in the positive vent system by condensation and just allows clean air into the throttle body. You could fit two to KV6 or just one depending on your driving (motorway or town). The gunk gets collected into the tank which you empty every so often as a service item. This allows clean air back into your intake system (eg Throttle body and plastic inlet manifold)

Dorset Bob
22nd August 2016, 22:34
..................What the blooming ek! is a catch tank on a V6?

These engines suffer from oil contamination into the intake system from the crankcase. Hence the fitting of catch tanks.

Another option is to also not run the engine at maximum oil level.
There is a thread here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=165833&page=3) regarding running the KV6 engine mid-way between max and min, on the dipstick.

Post No. 24 gives feedback, on how the engines were run on the test bed. Extract as below:

..... Due to package constraints, the KV sump is a bit on the shallow side, when you add in a large enough volume of oil to get between service intervals the oil level is getting a bit too close the crank. I always ran my testbed KV's at mid way. Much over that and you can see some oil aeration around the system, a loss of valve lift at peak power speed due to slightly spongy tappets. The closer the oil level gets to the crank windage, more oil is whipped up into the crankcase gasses, so more will inevitably end up in the intake via the breather system. There is no real downside to this other than a oily looking intake around the throttle body and can contaminate the air filter on R45/ZS. A diligent owner should have no problem running the 'mid way' regime for optimum performance. Hope his notes help? Phil.

As my KV6 engine uses little/ no oil between changes, I am now running half way between min and max. ;)