PDA

View Full Version : Its a v8 thing

desperado
17th August 2008, 21:18
I'm considering entering the darkside and getting a zt v8 .Any advice on what to look for. at the moment i've not decided on mk1 or 2 yet again is there any difference apart from the shape. its going to have to be a lpg one more advice please. thanks dan

Doris
17th August 2008, 22:04
I'm sure there are plenty of threads on this desperado, but all of the limitations are outweighed by the tremendous V8 sound :D

The Air Con from what I understand has problems, and you should look for the regular 75/ZT issues.

I've seen a fair few Cat C/D V8's, so history is quite important.

ksilver
17th August 2008, 22:12
Oooohh dear, now that you've "started to think about it", there's no going back! I "started to think about it" at the begining of the year and bought mine a couple of weeks later!

I have done the LPG conversion and fuel cost is less that my old ZT-T cdti!

There are a few for sale just now and it would be worth running any you are looking at past the guys on Two-Sixties.

Things to watch for, some are common to other 75/ZT's ie fuel clip, there is also a replacement heater hose available which is available from Two-Sixties as the original can burst and rear discs are £300+ :(.

Check out Spunagain's (http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html) site for fuller info.

Doris
17th August 2008, 22:16
It is hard to resist isn't it.

How did the LPG conversion cost stack up? I looked at it for another of my cars, and the figures didn't work out. The cost (£2000 approx) would have fuelled me for about 3.5 years.

desperado
17th August 2008, 22:27
Check out Spunagain's (http://www.spunagain.co.uk/ZT260page.html) site for fuller info.[/QUOTE]

thanks very good information.
had a stag v8 and the v8 noise you just can't beat it . :drool4:thanks dan

pmessling
17th August 2008, 23:16
go on you know you want one

GerryT
17th August 2008, 23:34
I try my utmost to pretend that the V8 don't exist

Its not that i sooooo dam want one, or anything like that at all

ksilver
18th August 2008, 19:42
How did the LPG conversion cost stack up? I looked at it for another of my cars, and the figures didn't work out. The cost (£2000 approx) would have fuelled me for about 3.5 years.

LPG works well for me as I do a high mileage 30-40,000 miles a year so I'll pay back the cost of the conversion in around 6-8 months.

I must confess I do enjoy paying £35 for 70 litres of fuel :D

Doris
18th August 2008, 19:46
LPG works well for me as I do a high mileage 30-40,000 miles a year so I'll pay back the cost of the conversion in around 6-8 months.

I must confess I do enjoy paying £35 for 70 litres of fuel :D

Ooh, it's a no-brainer then.

My mileage is about 3-4,000 miles a year now, so just didn't seem worth it.

Fleckers
19th August 2008, 10:52
Get the V8
ignor LPG
save £6k and get a super charger almost 400 bhp of pleasure

markhunter
5th September 2008, 17:03
:drool4:The Four Most Beautiful Sounds Man Has Ever Made
1 Ducati 998r Engine Running With Open Termignonis
2 The V8 Engine Running
3 The Merlin Engined Spitfire
4 Angus Young And Gibson Sg On Full Throttle

I,m Fortunate To Have One Of These But I Do Fancy Another The V 8 Music To The Ears

Stu C
5th September 2008, 19:06
Oooohh dear, now that you've "started to think about it", there's no going back! I "started to think about it" at the begining of the year and bought mine a couple of weeks later!

Agree 110%. I was the same, started looking, read up on some info and went for it. Had her a week now, and well, OMG the sound :drool4:

Mr bountyfull
6th September 2008, 20:08
I had a ZTcdti running about 160bhp, great car and a more complete package. I now have a 260 start it up and my face takes on a child like expression of joy. Go for it but do not buy the first you see its easy done. Remember you cannot S/C if on LPG.

I hope to be running on S/C next year.

Steve.

Zeb
7th September 2008, 08:56
I have a feeling that you CAN now run a supercharger with LPG, providing you have the right LPG system.....I may have dreamed it but I thought we had at least one member on here who is currently doing so?

Fleckers
8th September 2008, 21:34
zeb,

I have heard the same thing, but to be honest, my car is a toy, the cost of getting LPG is part way to the Supercharger so when I have the readies thats whats being done, next on my list of to do's is Free Flowing sports cats and a set of Zero's, then a tublar manifold when I can find a place to make a nice one, then brakes and sprngs/shocks get every thing 110% before getting blown.

then I shall be buying a rubber plantation :)

for them that have never heard a V8 [not just the ZT-T] on full chat, its must be on your list to do be for you die.

Tim
9th September 2008, 20:03
for them that have never heard a V8 [not just the ZT-T] on full chat, its must be on your list to do be for you die.

Click on my sig for the sound bites. :)

Fleckers
9th September 2008, 22:58
Tim

The new pipes, what are they ?

Which do you think sound better in real life ?

Tim
10th September 2008, 07:57
Tim

The new pipes, what are they ?

Which do you think sound better in real life ?

Both are zero's top one is cold, bottom one hot. :)

I prefer the Zero's over the standard and Xpower. The standards did not show the sound of the V8 and the xpower exhausts got on my nerves after a couple of weeks.

AndrewM
11th September 2008, 16:01
Go for it...I've had mine for nearly 1 year now and use it EVERY DAY to commute to the station and back ( 10 mile each way) + shows etc. at weekend (Came 1st at MGCC summer event this year with it).
Since I've had it, i've put on about 4000 miles+ and the only one thing that has gone wrong (and I knew what it was, when it went) was the fuel clip and the RAC fitted it for me free of charge. At the last service I had, I had the new heater hose fitted and front discs + pads replaced ( just as a precaution as rears are £££!!)
I love the sound ( looking at Zero's also), the build of it is pretty good, i think, and it's practical as I have 3 little boys who like coming to car shows with me and I wanted something that was safe, fairly reliable and had proper seatbelts..but was also a bit different. The other choice was an XJR or an S Type...but they are too common and the MGOC/MGCC clubs always have shows on during the summer ( I have an MGF,also) And , like I said...it's really different!! - Unless they are an anorak, No one knows what it is/heard of it and I also don't feel too much of a fraud attending shows with it as it generates alot of attention where ever it goes !!
I paid £9500 (21k) on the clock Mk1 in BRG last Nov. ...and I reckon if I sold it now, I'd probably get around £8k ...so look at it this way ...What ever one you go for..you are saving at least £25k, against the new price...and if you keep it long enough,like I intend to do...You can only loose a few more ££ before it starts to go up again!
Good Luck!! - You only live once !!
Regards, Andrew