PDA

View Full Version : Dressing tyres............

baxlin
22nd August 2008, 10:40
Are 15" rims 15" in diameter? I mean, exactly?

I'm fed up of overspraying tyre dressing onto my alloys and having to clean it off, and as I've bought myself a router, I can now make myself a plywood disc, to hold against the alloy while spraying the tyre.

Only problem is my car's in dock, so I can't measure the actual diameter of the alloy!

OK, I could wait the 2 weeks or so till I get the Rover back, but I'm a bit impatient, and want to use my new toy. Sad, maybe, but I'm not going to spend the time cleaning the Mondeo courtesy car like I do the Rover, particularly as the driver who delivered it to me proudly declared it was nice and clean as he'd just put it through a carwash..........................

Malcolm

Tatts
22nd August 2008, 11:05
You could measure the Mondys tyres & if they match what it says on the tyre, then you'll know for when the get the Rover back.

Alternatively you could try some of this (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/meguiars-high-gloss-tyre-gel/prod_103.html) and one of these (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/trim-tyre-dressing-applicator/prod_340.html). I gave up with the sprays, this I find lasts longer, goes where I want it to - not over the wheels, wing, & it makes a mess on the block paving - much to my OH's chagrin!

BTW, there's a small article (two paragraphs & photo) in this months Popular Car Mechanics about the JZR. Doesn't say much, except they've only made 320. Thats a unique vehicle you have!

baxlin
22nd August 2008, 12:22
BTW, there's a small article (two paragraphs & photo) in this months Popular Car Mechanics about the JZR. Doesn't say much, except they've only made 320. Thats a unique vehicle you have!

Thanks for the heads up on this, Tatts, as we have around 160 subscribing members to the owners' club, that's a pretty high %.

BTW I'm off to the newsagents...................

paulw1973
22nd August 2008, 14:27
Are 15" rims 15" in diameter? I mean, exactly?

I'm fed up of overspraying tyre dressing onto my alloys and having to clean it off, and as I've bought myself a router, I can now make myself a plywood disc, to hold against the alloy while spraying the tyre.

Only problem is my car's in dock, so I can't measure the actual diameter of the alloy!

OK, I could wait the 2 weeks or so till I get the Rover back, but I'm a bit impatient, and want to use my new toy. Sad, maybe, but I'm not going to spend the time cleaning the Mondeo courtesy car like I do the Rover, particularly as the driver who delivered it to me proudly declared it was nice and clean as he'd just put it through a carwash..........................

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Not sure of inches as my TM is in cm but edge to edge it's 41.5cm

HTH

tourerfogey
22nd August 2008, 15:10
41.5cm divided by 2.54 (number of centimetres in an inch) = 16.3385" i.e 1.3385 inches oversize so presumably the rim of the tyre sits .66925" inside the wheel rim and the 15" actually applies to the rim of the tyre not the overall size of the wheel, i.e. the wheel is actually bigger than 15" so that it overlaps the 15" tyre...(?)

trebor
22nd August 2008, 16:20
I use the same applicatore that Tatts refers to above and its the best £2 i have ever spent.

A lot of the tyre dressings dont come in an aerosol so you cant control the spray, until now !

Just spray the dresing on the sponge and you can apply quickly and without mess, i can do all 4 tyres in 3 - 4 minutes easy.

If you also keep the applicator in a sealed plastic tub in between cleans it will staty moist and your dressing will go further.

baxlin
22nd August 2008, 18:19
Thanks for the info/comments, chaps
malcolm

Greeners
23rd August 2008, 22:07
I wouldn't bother with a tyre applicator, just by a jumbo yellow sponge, and chop it up into suitable sized bits. Do your tyres and bin it.

afcbadam
1st September 2008, 23:07
i used to use a shoe polisher. always worked well

nairda
3rd September 2008, 14:30
Use the spongy side of one of these to apply your tyre dressings....

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0078077

baxlin
28th September 2008, 20:33

Malcolm

I've now tried this, and it works a treat. A 41.5 cm disc cut out of MDF, 4 thin offcut bits glued 5mm or so in from the edge to locate it centrally on the rim, and a bit of 1 x 1 on the other side as a handle, and Bob's yer uncle.

Just hold it against the rims and spray the tyreblack onto the tyre, no overspray onto the rim at all. And it serves as a tray to carry all the cleaning stuff back to the garage!

Malcolm

nisfo
28th September 2008, 23:17
I use Turtlewax metallic tyre gel with a sponge, it leaves a great finish. Give the tyres that little extra sparkle ;)

Had the same bottle for about 4 years now, you only need a small bead per tyre.