PDA

View Full Version : advice for novice, please

BRG190 Pete
23rd August 2008, 16:04
Hi everyone

In the past, I have always liked to keep my cars clean but have rarely polished them. But the ZT is different.....

I bought a BRG ZT190 earlier this year and one of the reasons I chose it was that the paintwork is in fantastic condition. I think the car has always previously been garaged and the car has a deep shine.

I have looked through the valeting forum and elsewhere and have ended up thoroughly confused by all these references to clay bars, polish, seals, wax etc. The choices seem to be endless!

So I thought I would just ask for recommendations from you guys for how best to keep the deep shine on my car. I guess my priorities are :

a) Car now lives on the drive (garage too small) - so want to protect the paintwork and have the car shiny and glossy (get that wet car look)
b) Remove some minor swirl marks and a couple of small bonnet chips which look white
c) Not too much time and effort. I know some of you guys spend hours on this, but I just want to be able to do a good job (2 hours max) at reasonable cost
d) Be able to get products from local Halfords

So what would you recommend? Please be gentle - the world of 'detailing' is foreign to me!

Thanks in advance

nisfo
23rd August 2008, 16:15
I have used Jewel Ultra Diamondbrite in the past. but you should sort any stone chips or swirl marks before application.

Don't really know how it works, but I know it does work.

Check the website >>> http://www.jewelultra.co.uk

Simon
23rd August 2008, 18:03
The stone chips will take some work to remove either using a touch-up pen/brush however unless you are well-versed in touching-up stone chips you can easily make a hash of things. I am in a similar position and have decided my painting skills will result in a mess so I have opted to leave the stone chips as they are for the time being - ie until funds allow me to pay someone else to sort them out ;)

For the rest of the car I am in a similar position to yourself and although I do love a deep glossy shine I want to be able to do it with as little work as possible.

After you have washed the car and it has dried then you can 'clay' the paint, but clay bars I have found aren't always available at Halfords so I will omit describing this stage for the time being.

The products I use are the following:
AutoGlym Super Resin Polish - polish the car with this to bring out the best shine in the surface.

AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection - this is the next stage and is basically a shiny surface 'coating' that helps bring out that deep glossy look your after.

Finally a coating of a good wax (Currently I am using a Simonz wax but I have used almost every brand in Halfords over the last year trying to find the best one - I am still not sure which I would choose though!) Anyway - this is the final coat and helps seal in glossy shine and gives you a nice water-repellant barrier.

I usually repeat the wax top coat stage every few weeks and when time allows (ie a full day) I spend time to complete all the stages above. Don't forget you should allow two or three hours 'setting' time (or whatever the bottle recommends) in between each of the products you use.

There are many other products and many other ways of doing things including buying orbital polishers and this and that but for a simple and relatively painless process to achieve a good finish if I were you I would recommend following a similar process.

Hope that helps :)

BRG190 Pete
23rd August 2008, 18:34
Thanks for both those replies.

Simon, I would like to go through the 'clay bar' stage. Is there a particular bar you would recommend and which is readily available in the shops?

Should the 3 products you have listed (polish, gloss, wax) be applied using polish mitts? When I have polished in the past, I admit to using old vests, underwear etc but feel I ought to be more 'professional' with the ZT.

How often do you go through all the stages? Do you have to remove the polish, wax etc you put on the previous time or is this done by the claying?

Tatts
23rd August 2008, 18:41
Thanks for both those replies.

Simon, I would like to go through the 'clay bar' stage. Is there a particular bar you would recommend and which is readily available in the shops?

Should the 3 products you have listed (polish, gloss, wax) be applied using polish mitts? When I have polished in the past, I admit to using old vests, underwear etc but feel I ought to be more 'professional' with the ZT.

How often do you go through all the stages? Do you have to remove the polish, wax etc you put on the previous time or is this done by the claying?

Meguirs sell a clay kit - readily available from Halfords or ebay. As it's aimed at the mass market, it's quite a mild clay so it's good for beginners.

Use a proper applicator for the products - old vests & y fronts, bin em! Use Microfibre cloths for buffing up.

Mild clay will not remove polish & wax.

Always wash using a good quality car wash solution - not fairy liquid etc.

Have a look at the 2 stickies by empsburna for washing & claying.

AURORA MG
23rd August 2008, 22:09
I have used Jewel Ultra Diamondbrite in the past. but you should sort any stone chips or swirl marks before application.

Don't really know how it works, but I know it does work.

Check the website >>> http://www.jewelultra.co.uk

I apply this product in a very professional manner too! Unlike a dealer!

Here is a link to the Warranted Package section on my website for info.

http://www.exv-mobile.co.uk/products.html
There are pictures of some cars that I have treated in the Gallery section.

MrBitsy
23rd August 2008, 23:23
Why only from Halfords? If you order from http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/, your order will be delivered the very next day ;) IMHO you will get a better range of products than you would Halfords.

However, If it must be Halfords ...

Shampoo = Meguiars are fine.
Clay = Meguiars do a 'clay kit' that includes a lubricant
Polish = AutoGlym Super Resin Polish is well regarded.

Personally, I wouldn't get an LSP (last stage product) from Halfords, as the quality from ordering online is so much better. You can finish your car off in two basic ways.

Wax or Sealant.

Sealant = Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is available from Halfords, but I personally do not like the product.

Wax = far better off ordering online IMHO.

Greeners
24th August 2008, 17:39
Halfords have got a 3 for 2 on at the moment on Autoglym products....

TREV=75
24th August 2008, 22:34
I usually use Meguiars gold classas it did not leave any white powder marks when applied and it gave my old cars a brilliant shine.

I am now trying Meguiars NXT tech wax to see if it is as good.

BRG190 Pete
25th August 2008, 08:26
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Decided to use the 'clean your car' website and just made an order for £82 (the wife thinks I'm mad to spend this much on cleaning the car and no doubt so will the neighbours when the products arrive).

After much deliberation, I've gone for a combination of Meguiars quick clay, Sonus paintwork cleaner, Meguairs NXT 2.0 Tech Wax and Poorboys Natty blue wax. Should certainly keep me busy.

This seems quite close to what Tatts used on his fantastic-looking BRG ZT and, as my car is the same colour, I thought I'd go with the same.

I may be back with more questions when the products arrive!

Thanks again

trebor
25th August 2008, 19:24
if swmbo thinks you are mad now wait till you keep going back to clean your car for more stuff.

You have ordered some great products there, nattys blue is one of my favourites

BRG190 Pete
21st September 2008, 19:53
OK, guys, soon after my last post, I spent a total of about 9 hours on the car - clayed, Sonus polish, Meguairs wax x 2, Poorboys wax x 2.

I did have trouble shifting the Sonus polish - used a combination of clean applicator pads and cleaning towels - but needed lots of pressure to remove. With hindsight, my mistake was probably to put the polish over the whole car first - should have done a bit at a time. Anyway, I was a bit worried at the time over the amount of pressure I was applying to remove the polish. But, when finished, the car looked fantastic, with a glass-like finish. Brilliant!

BUT - this weekend has been the first time we have had bright sunshine, and I must say I am a bit disappointed. I went for some of the products above because of the claim that they reduce swirling, but, if anything, the swirl marks seem worse, especially on the bonnet. There are loads of tiny marks which make the car look like it has little white patches from a few feet away. I'm sure my polishing has made the swirl marks on the bonnet worse.

So, this afternoon, I've gone over the bonnet again with the Sonus polish (but making sure I use less pressure) and topped up with the Meguairs wax again. I don't know if this has made it any better, as it wasn't so sunny by then.

Have I made the swirls worse by using too much pressure? What else can I do to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance

BRG190 Pete
21st September 2008, 19:55
Guys, if not clear from my post, swirl marks only visible in bright sunlight. Any other time, the car looks great

Tatts
21st September 2008, 21:22
Pete!

Swirls are difficult to remove by hand polishing. They're really noticeable under sunlight or halogen lights.

If you've used microfibre cloths for buffing and a proper applicator for the products, then you've not made swirls worse - just highlighted them.

If you use a sponge for washing the car - bin it. Thats one of the worst culprits for causing them.

Can you list what products you used? (Brand & product name). Some polishes have a mild abrasive & filling action to help reduce & fill swirls. Wax protects & enhances the polished finish.

PS, thanks for the kind comments! :)

BRG190 Pete
21st September 2008, 21:32
Tatts

Thanks for the reply.

I used Meguairs quick clay, Sonus paintwork cleaner, Megs NXT 2.0 Tech wax and Poorboys Natty blue wax. I was a bit worried because the Sonus took a lot of effort to get off, and I think I've made the swirls on the bonnet worse with the pressure. I did try to remove the polish with a clean applicator pad, then switched to cleaning towels.

What should my next step be, please?

MrBitsy
22nd September 2008, 18:22
Tatts

Thanks for the reply.

I used Meguairs quick clay, Sonus paintwork cleaner, Megs NXT 2.0 Tech wax and Poorboys Natty blue wax. I was a bit worried because the Sonus took a lot of effort to get off, and I think I've made the swirls on the bonnet worse with the pressure. I did try to remove the polish with a clean applicator pad, then switched to cleaning towels.

What should my next step be, please?

Apart from trying different products, you have done what you can by hand. If your paint feels smooth and like glass, then you have done a good job with the clay. You could go over with the polish many more times but you will not get further improvement to the finish.

There are many products like Tech Wax that will try and fill the swirl marks, but you will never get rid of them. The 'white patches' you refer to a probably holograms - another sympton of swirls and scratches. I too have gone through the process you have, but there is only one way forward now - machine polishing to remove the swirls and to get that deep 'showroom' finish.

I am in Welwyn Garden City, Herts, and would be more than happy to go over your car with my Meguiars 220 polisher. If you have the funds, then I would recommend one of the Meg 220 kits over at CleanYourCar - http://tinyurl.com/6hhm3l is what I got. They are easier to use than you may imagine - here is my car after first use http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4058

BRG190 Pete
24th September 2008, 18:54
Thanks for the reply, Mr Bitsy. Lovely car you have there, by the way - metallic red is my favourite colour.

SWMBO would kill me if I spent any more on my car at the mo. I did repolish the bonnet by hand in a less vigorous manner to see if that would help, but it's not been sunny since so I can't check if the swirls are any better yet.

Very kind of you to offer to go over with my car with your polisher. I might take you up on that at some point but I guess I'll wait for the next sunny day before I do anything more.

Thanks again

kevin
27th September 2008, 07:13
Apart from trying different products, you have done what you can by hand. If your paint feels smooth and like glass, then you have done a good job with the clay. You could go over with the polish many more times but you will not get further improvement to the finish.

There are many products like Tech Wax that will try and fill the swirl marks, but you will never get rid of them. The 'white patches' you refer to a probably holograms - another sympton of swirls and scratches. I too have gone through the process you have, but there is only one way forward now - machine polishing to remove the swirls and to get that deep 'showroom' finish.

I am in Welwyn Garden City, Herts, and would be more than happy to go over your car with my Meguiars 220 polisher. If you have the funds, then I would recommend one of the Meg 220 kits over at CleanYourCar - http://tinyurl.com/6hhm3l is what I got. They are easier to use than you may imagine - here is my car after first use http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4058

as your not far from me. I would let you use/show me how good your polisher is.on my car :bowdown::D