PDA

View Full Version : Time cleaning

TREV=75
25th August 2008, 20:24
I got my 75 three weeks ago and spent 6hrs cleaning it. I have cleaned it several times since,(3-6hrs each time) and can still see parts neading cleaned. How far do I take it?

Zeb
25th August 2008, 20:26
I got my 75 three weeks ago and spent 6hrs cleaning it. I have cleaned it several times since,(3-6hrs each time) and can still see parts neading cleaned. How far do I take it?

How much time have you got? :D

TREV=75
25th August 2008, 20:28
Depends on the boss

Zeb
25th August 2008, 20:31
Depends on the boss

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Er, yup, I can empathise with that!

Suggestion, do as much as you can when you can.....now I have two to do now....so they get done in turn.....:D
The cleaner it is, the less rust and other surprises you will find....
It makes a great change to have a car worth spending the time on does it not?

tourerfogey
25th August 2008, 21:19
It's much easier to just not bother...

stocktake
25th August 2008, 21:36
I head that if the tourer isn't washed regularly it shows up around the tailgate support and can need welding in a very neglected car :D

trebor
25th August 2008, 21:38
it might be easier to not bother but its not as pleasing on the eye when taking a dirty car out as opposed to a clean one, i admit to becoming obsessive since having a black 75 which shows every spec of dust so i just find myseld cleaning it all the time, just waiting for the men in white coats !

Simondi
25th August 2008, 22:10
Take as long as you need.
I find that once you've been cleaning for over 3 hours it really starts winding up the neighbours!!

carlpenn
26th August 2008, 07:31
Hi TREV

I actually spend upto 4 days at a time cleaning my 75 and I am never 100% satisfied with the results !! lol.

What I try and do is "Schedule" the hard to clean parts, so that I keep cleaning time to a Minimum.

Eg Clean Session 1: I will pay special attention to the Inner Wheel Arches
Eg Clean Session 2: I Will clean the Engine Bay and remove Bonnet lining and clean under Bonnet

etc.

The 75 looks beautiful when clean and is more satisfying when you look at it gleaming in the Car Park or your driveway etc.

I recently gave my Engine Bay a full monty clean and it looks staggering, in fact it was commented on at the Garage when I went to get a quote and the Mechanic popped the Bonnet for a nosey, he was very impressed as most cars of my 75's age (2000) are usually soaked in grime and oil.

But this is what an hour of scrubbing can do................

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/18104885a1ccc0ad5.jpghttp://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/181048b3b10fd9508.jpg

baxlin
26th August 2008, 09:39
I head that if the tourer isn't washed regularly it shows up around the tailgate support and can need welding in a very neglected car :D

Ever seen any photos, Dave?

majedm75
26th August 2008, 10:42
How do you clean your engine Carl (what products did you use and did you clean it with steam/Kärcher)?

Is there any way to get a new V6 sticker for the engine front? Mine is starting to look faded :o

stocktake
26th August 2008, 14:43
Ever seen any photos, Dave?

Oh Yes :D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24887

GERFIX
26th August 2008, 15:07
Depends on the boss
That's about right;):D.
Take as long as you need.
I find that once you've been cleaning for over 3 hours it really starts winding up the neighbours!!
I used to find that cleaning the car ANY time wound my neighbours up when I was younger living with my parents. Honestly, any time I had the car out for a clean I would get the "washing it again - have you nothing better to do?" comments. Old folk, eh?;):pillow:

carlpenn
27th August 2008, 09:06
How do you clean your engine Carl (what products did you use and did you clean it with steam/Kärcher)?

Is there any way to get a new V6 sticker for the engine front? Mine is starting to look faded :o

I use Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner - It works very well on any part of the Car that is grimy (like wheel arches etc).

What I do is take off the Under Bonnet Cover, and spray the AG all over the under bonnet area and then using a clean 1 Inch paint brush, I "Scrub" the AG into the grimy bits, leave that to soak while I take off teh Engine Cover and put that to the side, then I spray the Engine with the AG and leave to soak in for a minute, I also spray the area where the Plenum drains are on the upper left and right side of the car as these always look dirty.

Then I just use the paint brush again and scrub the grime off.

Follw that with a carefully aimed and not too powerful wash with a hose pipe and most, if not all the Grime is gone - It took 3 seperate washes to get my engine looking fairly decent.

I then treat the Cover (which is seperated from the Engine) to the AG and a scrub with a Paint brush. My Engine cover was absolutely filthy and I was embarressed to open my Bonnet !!

Then I replace the Cover after its cleaned, take the car for a five minute drive to clear any sitting water. You will note at the back of teh engine, lots of water will sit in teh grooves, a Cloth easily soaks teh water out.

Finally, I get the Auto Glym Tyre Dressing, and spray it into a small pot, a Yoghurt or Jelly pot works fine. Then using a clean 1 Inch Paint brush, I "Paint" the Dressing on and leave to dry.

and if all goes well, it looks nice and clean............:D

The_Monk
29th August 2008, 12:46
I use Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner - It works very well on any part of the Car that is grimy (like wheel arches etc).

What I do is take off the Under Bonnet Cover, and spray the AG all over the under bonnet area and then using a clean 1 Inch paint brush, I "Scrub" the AG into the grimy bits, leave that to soak while I take off teh Engine Cover and put that to the side, then I spray the Engine with the AG and leave to soak in for a minute, I also spray the area where the Plenum drains are on the upper left and right side of the car as these always look dirty.

Then I just use the paint brush again and scrub the grime off.

Follw that with a carefully aimed and not too powerful wash with a hose pipe and most, if not all the Grime is gone - It took 3 seperate washes to get my engine looking fairly decent.

I then treat the Cover (which is seperated from the Engine) to the AG and a scrub with a Paint brush. My Engine cover was absolutely filthy and I was embarressed to open my Bonnet !!

Then I replace the Cover after its cleaned, take the car for a five minute drive to clear any sitting water. You will note at the back of teh engine, lots of water will sit in teh grooves, a Cloth easily soaks teh water out.

Finally, I get the Auto Glym Tyre Dressing, and spray it into a small pot, a Yoghurt or Jelly pot works fine. Then using a clean 1 Inch Paint brush, I "Paint" the Dressing on and leave to dry.

and if all goes well, it looks nice and clean............:D

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick but surely washing the engine with water afterwards is bad on the surrounding electricals?? I always panic when I fill up the washer bottle and spill some water! :o Is it really safe to put a hose under the bonnet?

carlpenn
30th August 2008, 09:01
Sorry if this sounds a bit thick but surely washing the engine with water afterwards is bad on the surrounding electricals?? I always panic when I fill up the washer bottle and spill some water! :o Is it really safe to put a hose under the bonnet?

Yes - I use cling film around any "Open" plugs" and I also aim very carefully. Dont turn the hose on full, just a subtle trickle is good enough. Using CLoths (I use an old Chamopis cloth) to soak up water after helps too, Then I run the engine for a minute before taking the car for a drive round the block - This helps dry / Blow off any sitting water.

tourerfogey
31st August 2008, 13:32

So now EVERYONE wants to be a comedian, eh?

:) ;)

MrBitsy
31st August 2008, 13:42

How often are you just going to do these quick wipes - you ought to consider washing and polishing occasionally :D:)

AURORA MG
31st August 2008, 22:40

As far as it makes you happy! I aquired a 25 year old MG Maestro in May & spent 6 hours just vacuuming the carpets, so imagine how much time I have spent cleaning the rest of it lol. Still 2 months later in July it won Best MG Maestro at MG Saloon Day.:lol:

tourerfogey
1st September 2008, 13:02
As far as it makes you happy! I aquired a 25 year old MG Maestro in May & spent 6 hours just vacuuming the carpets, so imagine how much time I have spent cleaning the rest of it lol. Still 2 months later in July it won Best MG Maestro at MG Saloon Day.:lol:

Love to see some pics of that please - great cars - M16 or T16 engine?