PDA

View Full Version : CDTi running temp

davros
15th December 2016, 20:02
Sorry if this is rehashing a topic that has been done to death but I'm a bit confused.

I have used the OBD to check the running temp of my 75 and it seems to stick around the 75-76 mark. Am I right in thinking this is too low and could be corrected with the inline thermostat mod? The temp gauge seem to be smidge under the 9 o'clock position if that is relevant!

Thanks

jackatesme
15th December 2016, 20:15
I have an in line stat fitted,mine is also around mid 70s can not get it over 80.

T-Cut
15th December 2016, 20:21
I have used the OBD to check the running temp of my 75 and it seems to stick around the 75-76 mark. Am I right in thinking this is too low

Yes. It really needs to be close to 90°C. It probably has the usual thermostat issue (low opening point).

and could be corrected with the inline thermostat mod?Yes it should fix it. But ensure to buy one of the recommended brands. An 88-92°C R5 stat by Wahler, Gates or FirstLine seem most reliable.

The temp gauge seem to be smidge under the 9 o'clock position if that is relevant!The gauge as a whole isn't very relevant I'm afraid. However, for not very much money I'll sell you a set of stick-ons to make it look good.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Instrumentation/Emotigauge_zpsxjplebr1.jpg

TC

klarzy
15th December 2016, 20:42
Fitted a new EOM stat to mine while the engine was out and at runs 82-86 once warm.....5 mins under load...

Sprinter
15th December 2016, 21:31
The temp gauge is next to useless. It just shows that the gauge is working.
While many have had a success with the inline stat, I bought an OEM replacement from DMGRS.

BigRuss
15th December 2016, 23:04
Even with a properly operating thermostat if you've got the heater on in a diesel it often robs heat faster than the engine can produce it depending on the settings ;)

That's unless the engine is under load. I've sat a few times with the engine running watching the OBD readout with the heater on and it's never got to 88 degrees in fact it's dropped to the point where the FBH has kicked in ;)

Russ

andrewinpopayan
16th December 2016, 14:53
I have seen the same on mine BigRuss. The OBD temperature hangs around 86 degrees unless I am paggering up a hill, then goes up to 90.

However, idling the engine with the heater on, it does exactly the same, I have seen it drop to 65 degrees from 86 in only 5 minutes, not enough heat being generated (wasted) by the engine.

davros
16th December 2016, 15:43
Just been out for a decent run with OBD on and no heater on at all and the max I saw was 77 so for the sake a of a few quid I am going to do the mod with the inline stat.

Thanks for all the help. I haven't posted too much on here but I am finding it so useful. The vast majority of my queries are answered by a quick search of the forum.

My next job is to sort the sunroof.......I know I will use it rarely but it annoys me knowing its not working!