PDA

View Full Version : paintwork

algernon
7th September 2008, 15:30
Hi, took my car to a handwash last week just to get the dirt off before I set to and cleaned it properly, but when cleaning yesterday i noticed that the drivers door panel had been rubbed with something abrasive and at least most of the middle of the panel is now dull and shows scratches.
Has anyone any experience of trying to rectify most if not all of the scratches with resorting to respray? I have tried hand polishing with a color 'T' cut and it has had some effect but it really needs something better. Colour is silver by the way.

Mr bountyfull
7th September 2008, 16:49
Try asking the same question on detailing world web site.

Steve.

Simon
7th September 2008, 17:53
Try asking the same question on detailing world web site.

Steve.

No need just yet. ;) We have plenty of detailing experts on this forum. Just wait and they'll soon see this thread. I've moved it into our very own Valeting Forum to aid coverage. :)

afcbadam
7th September 2008, 21:22
t cut scratch remover available in any colour is good. i have had very good results with this stuff. even on my white work van where scratches were left by the trees all down the sides

Tatts
7th September 2008, 21:39
Scratches. Rule of thumb is; if you can run your finger nail over them, and it catches, then it won't polish out. It needs paint.

If it's like a dull, matt area, then a machine polish would probably sort it. But as you've not got where you live in your profile, I can't recommend anyone! Unless you know someone with the kit & skill already!

algernon
8th September 2008, 11:43
sorry i missed putting my details on this post but i was so fed up with it.
I live in sheffield.
I have thought about getting a valet company in to do the job, but it is organising the time due to weather and finding out if they have the right experience, once I find out what that might be?

thanks for all tha advice

Algernon

Tatts
8th September 2008, 18:54
sorry i missed putting my details on this post but i was so fed up with it.
I live in sheffield.
I have thought about getting a valet company in to do the job, but it is organising the time due to weather and finding out if they have the right experience, once I find out what that might be?

thanks for all tha advice

Algernon

I know a bloke in Rotherham thats pretty handy. He's did a detail on my car 18 months ago.

Anyway, if you look on mg-rover.org/ (http://www.mg-rover.org/) for a user called AndBurG and drop him a PM. I'm sure he'll sort you out.

deano78
8th September 2008, 19:09
its probably down to the handwash using a grubby sponge but its proving it thats hard. t cut is pretty aggressive and the abrasives in it dont always break down properly unless you rub forever. you have 3 options, first is to get a pro detailer to sort it. second is to try and remove the scratches yourself. you could go down the machine polishing route but would cost you about 200 quid for the machine and polishes, or you could try and remove them by hand. have a look at www.seriousperformance.co.uk the poorboys super swirl remover range can be applied by hand. The third option is to "conceal" them using a filler heavy polish. what these do is literally fill in the scratches and deflect light away from them. to a google for bilt hamber auto balm. this is the daddy for filling swirls and scratches. it wont remove them and will need re applying every few months but it really depends on how far you want to go.
If you go the pro detailer route pm me and i'll point you in the right direction for an experienced detailer. I'd offer my services but you're a bit far for me.

TimO
8th September 2008, 19:28
Before you go to far down the line of calling in a professional try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish on the affected area. This is very very mildly abrasive and also contains some fillers.

If you try it please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Tim

deano78
8th September 2008, 19:34
super resin is good but if t cut wont shift it that will have no chance. your right about the fillers but if you dont already have some, the bilt hamber stuff is better at filling.

AURORA MG
8th September 2008, 23:04
Hi, took my car to a handwash last week just to get the dirt off before I set to and cleaned it properly, but when cleaning yesterday i noticed that the drivers door panel had been rubbed with something abrasive and at least most of the middle of the panel is now dull and shows scratches.
Has anyone any experience of trying to rectify most if not all of the scratches with resorting to respray? I have tried hand polishing with a color 'T' cut and it has had some effect but it really needs something better. Colour is silver by the way.

Possibly try some Autoglym Super Resin Polish. I havn't used T-Cut for over 20 years & unless the mixture has changed it was ok putting it on but a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to get it off. Autoglym do paint renovator too!

People often think these places are good value compared to my prices until they have this sort of issue which is very common indeed & they realse that the cheap & cheerfull places are just that!! Then they ring me to rectify it!
Here is my valeting site in Kent www.exv-mobile.co.uk