PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Pads

steve-45
25th February 2017, 09:41
Took the rear wheels off to hose out under the rear wheel arches and noticed that the rear pads are starting to get a bit thin, but the sensor has not turned the warning light on yet.

Do the rear pistons just push back into the calipers or do they wind back in?

Also, if they are push back type thought its about time I bought a tool to do this rather than just using a big tyre lever to push them back in.

What tools to others use ?

jonathan63
25th February 2017, 10:00
They just push back mate. I use a G clamp and it works well. The pads will rarely wear evenly so it's a lottery whether the one with the sensor wears the fastest.
Not a difficult job.

JoeMc
25th February 2017, 16:13
As above, push back in

Just make sure you take the cap off the reservoir otherwise it'll spill over the place

And push back in evenly and slowly... A large g clamp and a block of wood makes life easier I've found

As for,pads, even EBC standard pads are dirt cheap as are the sensors, so may as well change em both at the same time and give the calliper a good clean etc :)

mh007
25th February 2017, 16:17
As said, the pistons just push back in.
A large screwdriver, lever or G clamp is fine but if you don't fancy that, there are a multitude of push back/wind back tools out there for cheap money.
Be careful removing the pad wear sensor (fitted to the O/S only) as they can break when you unclip the end from the pad.
Worth checking the contact surface area & general condition of the discs too while you're there.

macafee2
25th February 2017, 16:55
I seem to recall that as said push piston in slowly as pushing quickly my flip a rubber I assume in the reservoir. Also seen advise that says clamp brake line, undo bleed nipple and push piston back, this way you don't push fluid back to reservoir but may have to add brake fluid when finished.

macafee2

FrenchMike
25th February 2017, 17:13
Check the thickness of the disk as well ;from memory ,the limit is 8 mm

Mike

steve-45
25th February 2017, 17:18
Check the thickness of the disk as well ;from memory ,the limit is 8 mm

Mike

OK, I knew I bought that micrometer for a reason .... :}