PDA

View Full Version : what maintenance jobs to do

macafee2
5th March 2017, 12:47
If a few weeks I will be having a couple of weeks off work.
Weather permitting, what maintenance jobs should I do on a CDT saloon?

This are my plans:-
check plenums, expect them to be ok as I do check these from time to time
oil change
change rear brake plates
change fuel tank strap
remove/refit pinch bolts front suspension, I assume these are the ones that snap/round off
check and deal with rust spots

Should I remove and refit the injectors? How do I clean them once I have them out?
Rear suspension was done last year.

with 2 weeks off and although I work slow I want to do jobs that could be a pain when that are tackled when a fault develops and the car is needed.

macafee2

Mickyboy
5th March 2017, 12:56
I wouldn't bother taking the injectors out to clean them I would simply buy a bottle of forte diesel injector cleaner put some into the fuel filter when you replace it crank the car over, leave it overnight and then jobs done it should clean injectors for you,

I often find when breaking cars the fuel tank straps are corroded through quite often so that is definitely one I would be looking at.
Just to add to the list I would say PCV filter should be replaced unless you have a BMW maintenance free type.

macafee2
5th March 2017, 13:55
I wouldn't bother taking the injectors out to clean them I would simply buy a bottle of forte diesel injector cleaner put some into the fuel filter when you replace it crank the car over, leave it overnight and then jobs done it should clean injectors for you,

I often find when breaking cars the fuel tank straps are corroded through quite often so that is definitely one I would be looking at.
Just to add to the list I would say PCV filter should be replaced unless you have a BMW maintenance free type.

i'll do pcv filter, just checked as I have 2 oils filters and 1 pcv filter.
you don't think removing the injectors and refitting them is worth it? I was thinking about them seizing in place

macafee2

vacuman
5th March 2017, 17:36

Is it practical to clean and protect the tank straps in situ if they look to be sound or do they need to be released in some way?

Sorry for ignorant question but I've not even had a chance to get under mine to take a close look yet...but I did check everything (not that I knew what I was looking for) before I bought it when the garage owner put it up on his car ramp and there was nothing obvious.

Mickyboy
5th March 2017, 18:31
Hi obviously I drop the tank, but if they ok give them a rub down and a good hammerite, dropping the tank is obstructed by the handbrake cables.

I've saved a few decent straps for future needs.

macafee2
5th March 2017, 19:28
I think remove the strap so you can clean/paint both sides. I also thought the exhaust pipe also was in the way of removing the strap but I have only looked once a couple you years ago and so could be wrong.
I have a strap already painted and ready to go on but will clean and paint mine if it's any good. keep it as a spare

macafee2