PDA

View Full Version : Aghhh...blasted battery securing bolt!!!

minty2
19th March 2017, 10:17
As a follow up to my report on the vandalism to my car last week, I returned to the car this week to find the battery dead. I had inadvertently left the key in the ignition :getmecoat:

Anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to buy a new battery and keep the old one as a spare (after recharging it of course). No problem getting old one out and new one in but could I get the *naughty word* bolt through to the securing plate at the foot of the battery? Not with my big mits! Anyway, having left the strap loose for now (battery shouldn't move anyway with securing plate tightened down), it left me wondering why I didn't have this problem with my slightly older rover 75. Turns out the bolt on that is almost as long as the battery holder is deep, making it far easier to get everything into place and secured. I suppose this must have been a project drive change (for the worse)? Makes a job far longer to take than it should and annoys me somewhat too :mad:!

Retrorob
19th March 2017, 12:19
I use a rachet with a long extension socket with a bit of blue tac on the bolt head to hold it in place while I line up the securing plate and bolt with the thread hole. Still not easy but it works :}

COLVERT
19th March 2017, 12:22
I use a rachet with a long extension socket with a bit of blue tac on the bolt head to hold it in place while I line up the securing plate and bolt with the thread hole. Still not easy but it works :}

That makes two of us.--:D---Lateral thinking----;)

marinabrian
19th March 2017, 13:53
I stretch a bit of insulating tape across the socket, then push the bolt into the tape which holds it in place ;)

However the PPD battery bolt is considerably easier to fit :getmecoat:

Brian :D

RogerHeinz57
19th March 2017, 15:29
I too find the long bolt considerably better design, I have fitted many of these that get found in the yards that I visit and have a couple available if anybody would like to purchase one. It also means you only need 1 13mm tool to remove and re-install a battery !

Mike Noc
19th March 2017, 16:23
Bit of kitchen towel around the head of the bolt holds it in the socket for me. :}

suffolk boy
19th March 2017, 17:23
changed mine to a longer one its old bmw item;)

MSS
19th March 2017, 19:38
I attach a magnet on one of the telescopic pick-up tools to the outside of the socket.

Arctic
19th March 2017, 20:58
Small piece of plastic on the back of the securing plate the bolts goes through this and creates a sort of captive bolt, hold the strap and with the socket on the head of the bolt lower it down into the threaded hole works every time :D

oswestryalex
20th March 2017, 10:15
Hi,
just had exactly the same problem with my MG ZT - took me ages to get the small bolt out from inside. I checked my Rover 75 and noted that it had a sensible long bolt that you could easily access. My solution was to replace the short stub with a Rover V6 long battery bolt and clamp - which I bought off eBay (with the plastic battery box) for under £20.

Arctic
20th March 2017, 10:22
Yes the long bolts are a more sensible use they can be found and bought from breakers yard for £2.00 at the most, they are used on other as well, so just a matter of having a walk round if they have no R40 in at the time, you may go to a scrap yard ;) if I get to go over the next week or so I will have a look and put them up for sale at cost price and postage :}

steve-45
20th March 2017, 11:48
Yes the long bolts are a more sensible use they can be found and bought from breakers yard for £2.00 at the most, they are used on other as well, so just a matter of having a walk round if they have no R40 in at the time, you may go to a scrap yard ;) if I get to go over the next week or so I will have a look and put them up for sale at cost price and postage :}

Very good idea, don't seem to have any breakers in my area .....

minty2
20th March 2017, 17:02
I too find the long bolt considerably better design, I have fitted many of these that get found in the yards that I visit and have a couple available if anybody would like to purchase one. It also means you only need 1 13mm tool to remove and re-install a battery !

I'll buy one off you Roger. Just let me know how thanks!

minty2
20th March 2017, 17:07
The problem with the short bolt isn't so much with locating it correctly (awkward though that is). It's bringing the bolt down with the securing strap without the securing plate slipping off the *naughty word* battery's sill. Drives me nuts!

RogerHeinz57
21st March 2017, 08:28
I'll buy one off you Roger. Just let me know how thanks!

No Problem Minty, I have one here ready packed but the original guy who wanted it seems to have forgotten about it, so just PM me and will sort this out for you.

Arctic
21st March 2017, 08:45
The problem with the short bolt isn't so much with locating it correctly (awkward though that is). It's bringing the bolt down with the securing strap without the securing plate slipping off the *naughty word* battery's sill. Drives me nuts!

Take a look at post 9 solves that problem ;)

RogerHeinz57
21st March 2017, 21:40
This does the trick nicely !

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hoifllpcqw5bxjd/AAC2jILLdTRSoDNGFgRnCrLNa

The two guys who asked for them - they're in the post tomorrow ! :}

Cheers RogH57.

minty2
26th March 2017, 08:44
This does the trick nicely !

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hoifllpcqw5bxjd/AAC2jILLdTRSoDNGFgRnCrLNa

The two guys who asked for them - they're in the post tomorrow ! :}

Cheers RogH57.

Received mine Thursday Roger. Many thanks for making my life easier!!!