PDA

View Full Version : Completely "Knockless"

MWMan
7th April 2017, 15:38
Ever since I bought my 2001 V6 Connie Tourer 6 years ago, there has been some form of knock going on. A couple of years ago it got really bad and I changed the drop links (DMGRS), and that quietened it down substantially - but not completely.

Last year I changed the lower arm rear bushes, lower engine mount and put new bearings in the struts. Another improvement, but still some clunks.

This last few days I have changed the lower arms ( complete with new bushes), inner tie rod links and track rod ends. WOW!!

Drove round the estate and over the usual speed bumps and dips in the road, which normally have the car sounding like a steel drum band - Nothing!!! Quiet as a mouse.

16 years old and she sounds better than a lot of newer ones out there.

I'll post up a "how I went about it" soon with pictures in case it helps anyone else.

David Lawrence
7th April 2017, 16:04
Ever since I bought my 2001 V6 Connie Tourer 6 years ago, there has been some form of knock going on. A couple of years ago it got really bad and I changed the drop links (DMGRS), and that quietened it down substantially - but not completely.

Last year I changed the lower arm rear bushes, lower engine mount and put new bearings in the struts. Another improvement, but still some clunks.

This last few days I have changed the lower arms ( complete with new bushes), inner tie rod links and track rod ends. WOW!!

Drove round the estate and over the usual speed bumps and dips in the road, which normally have the car sounding like a steel drum band - Nothing!!! Quiet as a mouse.

I'll post up a "how I went about it" soon with pictures in case it helps anyone else.

Great result, so which of those items was the guilty culprit?

EastPete
7th April 2017, 16:24

Good work John - I look forward to the how-to.

Cheers

Pete

MWMan
7th April 2017, 17:22
Great result, so which of those items was the guilty culprit?

Almost certainly the centre ball joint that goes into the subframe - it was very loose. One other thing that surprises me is how much tighter the steering feels. I wouldn't have thought I could tell the difference through power steering, but it is definatly tighter. Maybe the new inner tie rods?

David Lawrence
7th April 2017, 17:25
Almost certainly the centre ball joint that goes into the subframe - it was very loose. One other thing that surprises me is how much tighter the steering feels. I wouldn't have thought I could tell the difference through power steering, but it is definatly tighter. Maybe the new inner tie rods?

It is interesting that that particular joint can be worn and not detectable while ot is on the car. I suspect mine may have this problem as well but cant get any movement on it with a prybar