PDA

View Full Version : mpg v8

desperado
25th September 2008, 19:50
might be a dumb question but here goes .whats you best mpg in a v8 on a run .what is you average for a week or month. its part of my research to convince myself for the need for a v8,yes it may backfire when you say 15mpg but there you go i've got to ask. dan

ksilver
25th September 2008, 20:21
I get around 17mpg from LPG, I think if I was on petrol it would average about 20.

On a longer run I get up around 20mpg (LPG) which may equate to around 22-23 on petrol.

Interestingly I have heard that a supercharger wll get you up to around 27mpg on a run :bowdown:

But if you are thinking aout go have a test drive and your mind will be made up!

Roger1
25th September 2008, 23:49
might be a dumb question but here goes .whats you best mpg in a v8 on a run .what is you average for a week or month. its part of my research to convince myself for the need for a v8,yes it may backfire when you say 15mpg but there you go i've got to ask. dan

I'm acheiving the 13.4 litres per 100km (2.94 imperial gallons per 60 miles, or 20 miles per gallon) that the factory figures quote. I haven't been on a proper long trip to see what it achieves in such a scenario, but have to believe that it will actually be reasonably economical.

Mr bountyfull
26th September 2008, 01:50
On run up to Glasgow hovering between 70-90 averaged 22.7mpg.
Push it, dont ask but the sound will have you smiling from ear to ear.

I ran a ZT CDTI running just over 160bhp great car sold it to my boss. He's driven Mr Bountyfull and he loved the drama. Mr Bountyfull is the name of the car, modest as I am can't live up to that sort of name.

Steve.

NOCTURNAL
26th September 2008, 02:33
Well I have avoided making any calculations in the two years I have owned her...

I do have however 95% of the fuel tickets to keep a log of, I have refrained, as once it's in black and white \I can't deny it :(

I just checked 15-20 of them and can confirm that of say 20 fillups...

The very regular average was 17mpg, the worst was 15.3mpg and the best was 21mpg, I believe I have had in excess of 24mpg on a run though...

I would say that in general from other peoples calculations, mine has allways seemed to be less economic than others claim...

Its not just the sound for me ...(I still have standard exhausts) (can't afford the zero's) It is the whole experiance of driving a well sorted car.
It sound ssilly but it's a very easy car to drive... its just so effortless, as the stang is a big lazy v8 rather than a breathy racer...

as has been said, if you have a genuine interest in the car (and not expecting a revvy/turbo type kick) If you testdrive one you will want one ...:luvya:

but theres only one way to find out ;)

Nick

Roger1
26th September 2008, 05:22
Very well said. I have had mine only a short time, having already been convinced about the joy of 75's over the last couple of years. Driving the V8 is a thrill beyond words. After a while you forget about the mileage as the driving is just so much fun, in a non 'boy-racer' kind of way. I consider it driving excitement with class!

The_Monk
26th September 2008, 12:41
Im slowly getting an urge to buy a v8 but I really love my 190 and couldn't bear to part with it, no way could I afford to run both. I did toy with the idea of having one sorn for 6months and use the other, but in the end I decided it was a bit silly and one car is enough, so my 190 will stay.

colintf
26th September 2008, 16:32
my right foot must be lighter 25-27mpg on a run.

Dropped to 19 driving two laps of the full LeMans circuit back in July ;)

:)

K 5ive
26th September 2008, 17:13
If you are asking about mpg on a V8 then it's probably not the car for you. You buy a V8 for the sheer joy it brings in many ways. Don't think about the mpg as then it makes no sense in buying one.

Jules
26th September 2008, 17:26
Got mine down to 10 once (round the Nurburg Ring of course):D

Fleckers
26th September 2008, 17:28
PG or GPM ?

no idea but having just done 50 odd miles on back roads today I have done almost 1/2 a tank

ksilver
26th September 2008, 18:37
PG or GPM ?

no idea but having just done 50 odd miles on back roads today I have done almost 1/2 a tank

I would look for a hole in your fuel tank, either that or try the gears indicated by a "4" and a "5" on the odd occasion;)

ksilver
26th September 2008, 18:45
If you are asking about mpg on a V8 then it's probably not the car for you. You buy a V8 for the sheer joy it brings in many ways. Don't think about the mpg as then it makes no sense in buying one.

When I had my cdti I was quite conscious of mpg, largely due to the mileage I do (30-40,000 miles pa).

I have LPG fitted to the 260 so it's not financially crippling to drive, but my attitude now is pretty much "it does what it does" and drive the nuts off it (with the windows open so I can listen at that exhaust tone):D

Petrow
26th September 2008, 18:49
my right foot must be lighter 25-27mpg on a run.

Dropped to 19 driving two laps of the full LeMans circuit back in July ;)

:)

Seems we both have light feet. Motorway driving: about 29mpg. Urban: a bit less than 20mpg, say around 18. Average (mixed driving): 24mpg. Autobox, and with AC on.
Very similar to figures I used to get out of my 3litre P5 manual back in the sixties. (That also had an 'official' figure of 20mpg.)

desperado
27th September 2008, 08:07

no your wrong k 5ive .i've had a v8 before and i know about the sheer joy of owning one . but in these times you have to consider all the facts . i don't want to buy one then in a months time have to sell it

1POWERACK
6th October 2008, 19:00
on a recent trip to Ireland, in my ZT-T 260, I noted my fuel used and distance covered at each stage, on one stage I set criuse control to 60mph, just wanted a easy drive, drove down the centre of Ireland, no traffic holdups and got 27.84mpg, on another leg of 181 miles I got 25.2 mpg, of course on the more urgent legs I had returns of 21.3 mpg, not bad really.

Slint
12th October 2008, 12:02
25-28 mpg on long runs, 15mpg or less around town.

VMax1000
12th October 2008, 20:24
no your wrong k 5ive .i've had a v8 before and i know about the sheer joy of owning one . but in these times you have to consider all the facts . i don't want to buy one then in a months time have to sell it

Even in current times, if you want a V8, you should not be thinking about fuel costs. 10 pence a liter more means 6 pound a tank. With 20 mpg that means about 2pence a mile more. With my mileage thats about 400 pound a year.

Buy one to drive one, and yes, it costs money, but the savings are not in the mpg. V8 should average around 20mpg. If you can live with that and also with the occasional blast, then it is great fun and you'll be counting 'smiles per gallon'

I love my 260, won't trade it in and will keep driving it

desperado
13th October 2008, 09:41
Even in current times, if you want a V8, you should not be thinking about fuel costs. 10 pence a liter more means 6 pound a tank. With 20 mpg that means about 2pence a mile more. With my mileage thats about 400 pound a year.

Buy one to drive one, and yes, it costs money, but the savings are not in the mpg. V8 should average around 20mpg. If you can live with that and also with the occasional blast, then it is great fun and you'll be counting 'smiles per gallon'

I love my 260, won't trade it in and will keep driving it

yes in some ways your right but until i make the decision to buy one i have to asked a sensible question about m.p.g thanks dan

Scarlet Fever
15th October 2008, 11:59
Average 21 mpg, best i've seen is 24 mpg (55 ish for what seemed like an eternity on the old A11 through Thetford!)

My old ZT 190 used to average 29mpg so not too bad i suppose.

Jules
15th October 2008, 12:22
Seems better value then to run a V8 'cos next year V6 & V8 owners will be paying the same VED rates.

Driver expressions (performance related!)
V6 :)
CDT :lol:
V8 :D

Roger1
17th October 2008, 04:20
An update guys. I've just spent a couple of weeks doing nothing but short city runs, and have pushed her a bit more than usual. Result?

15 mpg! Oh uh!

Don't care really, as its just such a buzz to be driving her. I might be a bit lighter on the throttle though!

JohnDotCom
17th October 2008, 08:33
...and now the Fuel is down to 99.9p per litre (well around here anyway)
you can afford to DRIVE again.

Yanbanshee
21st October 2008, 18:51
I have just completed a round trip to Scotland and recorded 27MPG mainly motorways but I still think thats very credible for a 4.6 litre motor.
Also when having to spend 5 hours at a time in a car the 75 V8 is as good as it gets
Cheers
Brian

Roger1
22nd October 2008, 02:29
...and now the Fuel is down to 99.9p per litre (well around here anyway)
you can afford to DRIVE again.

Premium unleaded (95) is now the equivalent of 68 p a litre here and 98 is 72 p a litre equivalent.

Zeb
23rd October 2008, 12:27
The title of this thread...mpg V8.....that is an oxymoron that is :D

tourerfogey
24th October 2008, 19:46
You trying to be clever Zeb?

Zeb
24th October 2008, 21:14
You trying to be clever Zeb?

Wot you mean 'trying'???:lol:

tourerfogey
24th October 2008, 21:19
Thinking about it, perhaps using 'clever' and 'Zeb' in the same sentence is an oxymoron itself . . . ;)

Zeb
24th October 2008, 21:22
Thinking about it, perhaps using 'clever' and 'Zeb' in the same sentence is an oxymoron itself . . . ;)

Whereas using words like 'trying' and 'Tourerfogey' in the same sentence would merely be accurate....:pillow:

tourerfogey
24th October 2008, 21:24
Is this descending into 'handbags at dawn' then ?

Zeb
24th October 2008, 21:26
Is this descending into 'handbags at dawn' then ?

Why? What has Dawn been saying about us???:shrug:

tourerfogey
24th October 2008, 21:27
Groan . . . . . . .

Keith
31st October 2008, 17:44
25-28 mpg on long runs, 15mpg or less around town.

Snap

I was so concious that I was getting through £50 every time I went almost anywhere I finally sold it. Mainly because I could not resist heading off Snowdonia way every five minutes, never owned a car I wanted to just go out and drive before although the 190 came close!

my CDT just does not do it for me :( but it does save me a fair bit of money :)

adrenalin rush
8th November 2008, 21:59
Im slowly getting an urge to buy a v8 but I really love my 190 and couldn't bear to part with it, no way could I afford to run both. I did toy with the idea of having one sorn for 6months and use the other, but in the end I decided it was a bit silly and one car is enough, so my 190 will stay.

Someone I can relate to want a V8 but can't give up the 190 + will get less miles to the money but thats not the point not the point at all the V6 is not a V8 and thats that ........But and this is it i love driving my V6 and will i know love driving the V8 but i cant have both .......can I

Only time and the falling price of the car industry will tell

JohnDotCom
8th November 2008, 22:17
Vauxhall (GM) bust within 3 Months possible (FT Today)
Jaguar short time working
Land Rover Laying off Staff.
Ford Laying off Staff Surplus Vehicles unsold all over the Place
Bentley Laid off all staff at the moment

Same goes for most UK Assemblers or manufacturers at the moment.

Prices can only become better value for buyers as the Credit Crunch bites,
but very bad news for sellers trying to raise cash.

Yanbanshee
14th November 2008, 20:27
People keep asking the same question there are lots of replies on this one (including mine) I get an average of 20 mpg but have recorded almost 30 (29.7) over a long steady motorway run (700+ miles) so its all down to your type of motoring. Dont be put off by a few quid extra on the road fund its peanuts compared to buying and depreciation costs which is something we all now benefit from not paying.
I wouldnt part with mine its a real gem and the best thing to spend a long journey in since the QE2
Plus... dont you just love the torque, so much fun (when the wifes not with me) to see off all those buzzing 1.8 GTIs

Mr bountyfull
30th November 2008, 19:01
Just did 700 mile trip after service and got around 25-26mpg this compares to the 21-23 I was getting before.

Duotone
30th November 2008, 19:05
Filled mine to the brim today. checked the mpg.

24 miles per gallon.

Not too bad for a V8 auto.

Dave T

Roger1
8th December 2008, 05:43
Hi guys,

I just finished a 1,000 km journey on NZ country roads, so both straight and very windy, up hill and down dale. Achieved 11.1 litres per 100kms which equates to 24 miles to the gallon. Not too bad in my opinion, as I wasn't mucking about and the revs were certainly being used on a number of occasions. I also had the air con on for some of the journey.

RiverRat
9th December 2008, 09:57
Just out of interest, are these calculations based on miles travelled and fuel to fill up? Or is there a MPG meter on the dash as there isn't on my 75 CDTi.

Thanks

Poledriver
9th December 2008, 13:18
That's based on miles driven and calculated when we fill up.
MGR 'left off' (cough!) the MPG part of the trip computer!:icon_eek:

Simon
9th December 2008, 17:49
The mileage calculation and remaining distance on tank information available to the rest of the 75/ZT range was never available to the V8 engined cars due to the ECU for the Ford engine not having the logic built into it for such calculations. Instead of this MGR opted to fit a digital speedometer to the V8 instrument packs.

NB: Applies to message-centre instrument packs, of course. :)

Jules
9th December 2008, 18:29
Whenever an admirer asks my MPG, I simply say
"Very good.....for a V8" as there is little point discussing accurate figures.
If anyone persists in asking then it's between 10 & 30 depending on how the beast is driven.
No further to be said really:xmas-smiley-022:

Yanbanshee
9th December 2008, 19:18
Not sure where this reply will enter due to current problems found with the site. However, my reply to the point re "how is the MPG obtained" my answer is 'brim to brim against the mileometer". Apparently there was a problem getting the Ford ECU to talk to the MGR computer hence we have an MPH rather than an MPG digital readout.
The important issue though is that with suitable motoring and some restraint very reasonable MPG certainly is attainable.

But come on, whats a few bob in fuel for such driving rewards!!

RiverRat
9th December 2008, 19:36
The more I hear about these cars, the moreI want one...guess I'd better be prepared to sell the CDI after Christmas and make an offer on the 260 I've seen (once I've checked it over of course). Thanks for the info guys.

Simon
9th December 2008, 23:07
Not sure where this reply will enter due to current problems found with the site.

I'm curious... Current problems with the site? I am not aware we have any current problems :shrug:

Tim
10th December 2008, 08:33
I'm curious... Current problems with the site? I am not aware we have any current problems :shrug:

A couple of times over the last few weeks the link does not find the address content but finishes with a blank screen. I wait a few hours then try again. Normally about 6:00pm...ish.

JohnDotCom
10th December 2008, 08:47
There has on occasion been a couple of times the Site has had a Glitch and "froze"
but been up and running again within a few minutes.
There can be a "maintenance" cycle at around 18.00 but only lasts about 20 seconds or so, and not generally noticeable.