PDA

View Full Version : Options for remapping a Diesel,please

Annie
18th May 2017, 04:39
I've had my 2002 Connie auto cdt for a week or two and have done all the little jobs needed doing
tried doing a forum search but comes back with a 403 error all the time

What are my options for getting it remapped, I know some traders do it by post . is a face to face visit better in case of problems|?

the 116hp is just not enough with the caravan also

what sort of price can I expect to pay for a quality, guaranteed to work first time map, does anyone know. I don't mind traveling a hundred miles or so if need be. would like it done asap,

stevenicks
18th May 2017, 05:17
There is a list of T4 operators here on the forum Annie. Just PM one nearest to you for a quote. The upgrade is well worth having done as the difference in power is unbelievable. Hope this helps.

Annie
18th May 2017, 05:48
is that all that's needed then? A T4 machine and the right file?
if so then i'll try and pm the nearest one.

stevenicks
18th May 2017, 06:23
Yep, it's simple as that and no mechanical work to be carried out. There are also lot's of options you can have like bathrobe mode, all windows up and down at once, lazy locking etc, etc.

macafee2
18th May 2017, 06:53
not sure if posting a price is out of order but I'll get told.
I think about £200 for a remap but at the same time I think the guys here will do a health check via the T4 and ask you what options you want enabled and disabled.
I had the remap done for the same reason, I tow a caravan. Makes a tremendous difference.

makafee2

Stickman
18th May 2017, 07:15
Chris at fareham is yer nearest T4 man Annie
(cb750chris)
Regards
Chris

klarzy
18th May 2017, 08:17
get in touch with Phil-T4, Marinabrian or Bigruss.

They developed the 160 BHP map and for members I think I paid about £140-160 for the map and a full checkup.

they can do by post but then you don't get the plug in and healthcheck...

Ken Lion
18th May 2017, 09:27
Whoever you use, go in person.
You'll learn a lot from the 'healthcheck' and options selection - and you'll enjoy the drive back.

kbonney88
18th May 2017, 09:40
as the others above have said - you wont be disappointed with the 160 remap.. it totally transforms the car.. its quicker, livelier and much more fuel efficient..

Kev :)

Rooney
18th May 2017, 09:43
I think about £200 for a remap but at the same time I think the guys here will do a health check via the T4 and ask you what options you want enabled and disabled.

I think £150 is more like a reasonable price for a fellow club member :)

Annie
18th May 2017, 10:24
i'll message a few members over the next day or so. it would be nice to feel a little more oomph. the extra torque would be very useful.

Seanalf
18th May 2017, 10:55
I just had mine done by Trikey, my last one had it, my next one (if I was getting one) would have it, can't recommend it enough

cb750chris
18th May 2017, 11:29
Hi Annie,
I can do you a 131 remap, if you want to know more, PM me for details.
However I cannot offer a 160 remap. The 160 map is (as far as I am aware) only available from Marina Brian, PhilT4, or Big Russ.

Regards
Chris

genpk
18th May 2017, 12:24
Being as I can't get access to a T4 over here, is there any other way to do a remap on the diesel.?
Only thing Ive got access to is Toaf .
I don't think that does Diesel engines?

philm
18th May 2017, 12:35
Somebody here has done a cdt remap with toaf but have not seen any updates for how it went.

http://www.mgr-forums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=6815&p=55594#p55594

Annie
19th May 2017, 09:15
i presume the 131 remap will give me a fair amount of torque extra? has anyone had a remap from 116 to 131?

reworht
19th May 2017, 09:28
i presume the 131 remap will give me a fair amount of torque extra? has anyone had a remap from 116 to 131?

Yes - and it definitely makes a worthwhile and noticeable difference. It certainly made pulling my tin tent a lot easier.
If you can afford it though, there's more than enough evidence on herethat the upgrade to 160 bhp makes an even greater improvement in power, torque, drivability - with no downside. In fact, because the engine is operating more efficiently, you can even squeeze a few more mpg out of it.

Annie
19th May 2017, 09:47
I'm very tempted to go for the 131 as the member is fairly close by to me. as I've said before its more torque that I really need and a little extra shove in fourth gear when I join the motorway so maybe 130 hp will be enough?

macafee2
19th May 2017, 10:07
I drove a 131 when I got my 115 and noticeably different but in truth, if your going to remap, go to 160. 115 to 131= 16 bhp. 131 to 160 = 29. 115 to 160 = 45
Even at 160 you wont have a sports car but one that make changing lane and fitting in with faster traffic easier.
With the caravan on the back hills are no longer an issue and if I accelerate before I climb will pull really well without losing lots of speed.

macafee2

klarzy
19th May 2017, 11:34
I'm very tempted to go for the 131 as the member is fairly close by to me. as I've said before its more torque that I really need and a little extra shove in fourth gear when I join the motorway so maybe 130 hp will be enough?

go for the 160, it can be done by post in 72 hours... anything less will leave you thinking what if....

ziggy72
19th May 2017, 12:26
Brian installed the 131 bhp to mine when I first bought it and then when he developed the 160 bhp I had that done too.
As has been said as good as the 131 is I would go straight for the 160 bhp as it brings drivability and performance up to modern day car standards.

mystabe
19th May 2017, 12:27

Go for the 160, it's not expensive and personally I don't think it actually makes the car much faster than a 130 BUT hills/joining the motorway etc is effortless because of the extra torque.

simondhopkins
20th May 2017, 10:48
I keep meaning to get my one remapped to 160 by bigruss as he's the nearest, but things keep happening money wise, bits for mot, kids school stuff etc. Fortunately the wife is working again, so might be able to get mine remapped.

Now I was told it was the 131, however, it feels like im driving my old 620gsdi when it goes on turbo, and i know when it was left at a rover dealer (who later went belly up, not before steeling the 16s and putting 15s on the spare 16 is still in the boot if anyone wants one) for injectors and ecu replacement, due to flooded plenum (aa warranty paid for all that when it was the father in laws car) I have a feeling they used a lower map, would there be any way of telling the map using a standard elm327 or can i only interrogate it by t4?

steve-45
20th May 2017, 11:48
Are there any know problems with the AUTO BOX if I got for a 160 map?

Would hate to damage the automatic gearbox, its already a 131 SE output version..

Rooney
20th May 2017, 12:29
None whatsoever.

We had ours done and everything worked better - gearbox included.

ShaunB
20th May 2017, 12:59
I had 160 one done by phil t4 in Milton Keynes well recommended , still need to keep the turbo spinning above the 2000 rpm mark and not much point in revving it past 3500 but ride the wave of torque in that range

steve-45
20th May 2017, 13:42
Well, its now added to the "TO DO" list ..... :}

Annie
20th May 2017, 14:57
looks like I'm getting the 160 done when we can arrange a date. thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys

macafee2
20th May 2017, 15:00
looks like I'm getting the 160 done when we can arrange a date. thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys

don't forget to tell your insurance company, you may even find you will need to change companies as not all will insure the extra bhp but going 131 to 160 they will

macafee2

klarzy
20th May 2017, 16:56
don't forget to tell your insurance company, you may even find you will need to change companies as not all will insure the extra bhp but going 131 to 160 they will

macafee2

or say naff all as it's completely untraceable and unlike a ronbox... invisible too...

cb750chris
22nd May 2017, 18:13
This 'untracable' statement regarding the 160 map is at best misleading, and at worst down right false.

Sorry to say, I have had a fair few diesel cars through, and I can tell which ones have the 160 map fitted, as one of the give aways is that a t4 which doesn't know about the 160 map (mine being amongst them) always complains that it doesn't recognise the ECU data (also occurs in other situations, like when there is a vin number mismatch - but this can be checked elsewhere in the t4 software).
Yes, this check may throw up a few false positives, but every time I have been able to ask the owner if it is a 160 map, and get a positive confirmation.

Chris

trikey
22nd May 2017, 20:30
This 'untracable' statement regarding the 160 map is at best misleading, and at worst down right false.

Sorry to say, I have had a fair few diesel cars through, and I can tell which ones have the 160 map fitted, as one of the give aways is that a t4 which doesn't know about the 160 map (mine being amongst them) always complains that it doesn't recognise the ECU data (also occurs in other situations, like when there is a vin number mismatch - but this can be checked elsewhere in the t4 software).
Yes, this check may throw up a few false positives, but every time I have been able to ask the owner if it is a 160 map, and get a positive confirmation.

Chris

Its undetectable to anyone who doesn't have a T4, and far more discreet than a ronbox in the engine bay ;)

cb750chris
22nd May 2017, 20:38
Very true :)
But definitely not undetectable, and yes, as you say far more discreet

MSS
22nd May 2017, 20:39

Chris

I agree. Tracing may take a little effort, but all firmware change is traceable.

Of course, it is exactly the circumstances in which the driver, who has not informed his/her insurers of a remap, would wish to hide its presence that the greatest efforts are likely to be made to trace any such modifications. Example being when insurers face the prospect of a large payout following a catastrophic accident.

To encourage others to "hide" performance enhancing modifications from their insurers is like encouraging them to drive without insurance.

Sector-9
22nd May 2017, 23:07
If the car was modified before you bought it, and you had no knowledge of said modification? Unlike plug-in upgrades, there's nothing to indicate anything different and unless you've driven other 75s with the same engine, you may not be aware that it's not normal. Not that I imagine that'll make any difference to them declining the claim so not declaring is totally at your own risk.

clf
22nd May 2017, 23:48
If the car was modified before you bought it, and you had no knowledge of said modification? Unlike plug-in upgrades, there's nothing to indicate anything different and unless you've driven other 75s with the same engine, you may not be aware that it's not normal. Not that I imagine that'll make any difference to them declining the claim so not declaring is totally at your own risk.

Unless there is some kind of date trace on it?

whynothot
24th May 2017, 23:19
Is it worth getting the 160 map if you have already got the ronbox installed?

macafee2
25th May 2017, 07:02

you can remove the ron box or run the two in tandem. I think there is mention in the forum that this does add even more poke to the car but may cause black smoke to be emitted under heavy acceleration.
Again do tell your insurance company

macafee2

Annie
25th May 2017, 07:47
ive just been on to my insurance company to get clarifcation before i get the remap and they said they wont load the policy unless the engine has been altered ie bigger turbo or bigger injectors and a new map is ok.

klarzy
25th May 2017, 15:06

The Ronbox or other such tuning boxes \re simple attenuators, then tell the ecu that there is a lot more air getting into the engine than there really is by changing the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor feedback.

The result is the ecu thinks "I need to put more fuel in to balance this air coming in"...

The result is more grunt, but a lot more smoke and much higher fuel usage... not to mention a GREAT deal of extra strain on your high pressure fuel pump...

A remap on the other hand balances the fuel air properly without overstraining the pump and gives you a batter MPG than standard as well as more pulling power across the range...

Two of the cars I have owned came with these tuning boxes and they were promptly skipped in favour of the remap...

Seanalf
25th May 2017, 15:42
The Ronbox or other such tuning boxes \re simple attenuators, then tell the ecu that there is a lot more air getting into the engine than there really is by changing the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor feedback.

The result is the ecu thinks "I need to put more fuel in to balance this air coming in"...

The result is more grunt, but a lot more smoke and much higher fuel usage... not to mention a GREAT deal of extra strain on your high pressure fuel pump...

A remap on the other hand balances the fuel air properly without overstraining the pump and gives you a batter MPG than standard as well as more pulling power across the range...

Two of the cars I have owned came with these tuning boxes and they were promptly skipped in favour of the remap...

Totally agree, remap over box every time. My MPG went up by 2 on the return run from Trikey's after having it done.

suzublu
25th May 2017, 15:51
If you bought a car with a proper engine, you wouldn't need to remap it to make it go:duh::getmecoat::D:D:D
I'm joking, A JOKE ;):D:D

trikey
25th May 2017, 19:49
If you bought a car with a proper engine, you wouldn't need to remap it to make it go:duh::getmecoat::D:D:D

Oh God, that's done it now...

ENGINE WARS!

klarzy
25th May 2017, 21:34
Oh God, that's done it now...

ENGINE WARS!

No need Andy.... Diesels are better in a ZT, simple as that... anyone who thinks otherwise is either uneducated or has no god and should be erased from existence...

bl52krz
25th May 2017, 23:41
No your not. You are stirring it....................again blingy.

Rooney
26th May 2017, 01:18
ive just been on to my insurance company to get clarifcation before i get the remap and they said they wont load the policy unless the engine has been altered ie bigger turbo or bigger injectors and a new map is ok.

I'd get that in writing if I were you.

An email would suffice.

Georgies Dad
26th May 2017, 05:01
I'd get that in writing if I were you.

An email would suffice.

I notified my insurance and they did not charge any extra

Annie
26th May 2017, 05:59
they confirmed by email and i have a recording of the conversation. just need to find time to get it mapped. been quoted an excellent price for the 160.

macafee2
26th May 2017, 07:58
they confirmed by email and i have a recording of the conversation. just need to find time to get it mapped. been quoted an excellent price for the 160.

who is your insurance company and how much do they charge fully comp?

macafee2

smudge.g
17th August 2017, 11:36
go for the 160, it can be done by post in 72 hours... anything less will leave you thinking what if....

Please forgive my ignorance but how is the remap achieved by post?? Am seriously considering this upgrade of my 131 CDTi Tourer but being in far NE Scotland, a bit far from a T4!! :)

andymc
17th August 2017, 11:58
When you know you can do without the car for a few days, remove the ECU - takes a few minutes (there may be a "How-to" guide on here, but if not I can now tell you how to do it thanks to Brian :}).

Protect it with a jiffy bag/bubble wrap, send it recorded delivery* to the remap wizard of your choice.

It will return a few days later, job done.

*I think it's worth doing this as you don't want your car's ECU getting lost in the post ...

Coups
17th August 2017, 12:18
Please forgive my ignorance but how is the remap achieved by post?? Am seriously considering this upgrade of my 131 CDTi Tourer but being in far NE Scotland, a bit far from a T4!! :)

Try messaging 'Lovel'. I forget the name of the village he's at but if I recall he's near Turiff. He did my 160 remap a few years ago and is still an active member here.

Of course the postage route is always an option but if done by post you won't benefit from a general T4 health check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudge.g
17th August 2017, 12:35
Try messaging 'Lovel'. I forget the name of the village he's at but if I recall he's near Turiff. He did my 160 remap a few years ago and is still an active member here.

Of course the postage route is always an option but if done by post you won't benefit from a general T4 health check.

Wow, thanks for that, he's about 15 mins away then!!!

Avulon
18th August 2017, 19:31
Being as I can't get access to a T4 over here, is there any other way to do a remap on the diesel.?
Only thing Ive got access to is Toaf .
I don't think that does Diesel engines?

Well, you could get it done by post - but you'd have quite a long nervous wait I should think. PM Phil-T4 to see if there are any other options.

Barely worth it.

Plenty of low powered vehicles manage to join the M'way without trouble... mainly I find these days by expecting the driver cruising on the nearside to pull out in front of the speeder in the middle lane...

:wot:

Go for the 160, it's not expensive and personally I don't think it actually makes the car much faster than a 130 BUT hills/joining the motorway etc is effortless because of the extra torque.

Top speed isn't that much different between the 116 and 160 maybe 10mph at most. but 40-70 is a whole other kettle of fish.

I had 160 one done by phil t4 in Milton Keynes well recommended , still need to keep the turbo spinning above the 2000 rpm mark and not much point in revving it past 3500 but ride the wave of torque in that range

I find useful torque as low as 1800 on mine with a high flow air-filter from dmgrs.

You know it makes sense.:D

Or stick to the three that actually do it properly, Phil-T4, MarinaBrian or BigRuss. ('nuff said)

trikey
18th August 2017, 19:36

Send marina brian a pm, he will explain all....

Coups
18th August 2017, 19:39
Well, you could get it done by post - but you'd have quite a long nervous wait I should think. PM Phil-T4 to see if there are any other options.

Barely worth it.

Plenty of low powered vehicles manage to join the M'way without trouble... mainly I find these days by expecting the driver cruising on the nearside to pull out in front of the speeder in the middle lane...

:wot:

Top speed isn't that much different between the 116 and 160 maybe 10mph at most. but 40-70 is a whole other kettle of fish.

I find useful torque as low as 1800 on mine with a high flow air-filter from dmgrs.

You know it makes sense.:D

Or stick to the three that actually do it properly, Phil-T4, MarinaBrian or BigRuss. ('nuff said)

Perhaps you're just repeating what you've read and clearly believe to be correct. However.

I think you'll find there's 4....... Lovel is a bit out of the way for you folks further south but provides the exact same remap as that provided by the three more well known folks you mention who provided it to him. Brian himself was present when Gary (Lovel) was remapping next to him at a club meet at Scone.

Perhaps you should check before assuming?

Avulon
18th August 2017, 20:10
Perhaps you're just repeating what you've read and clearly believe to be correct. However.

I think you'll find there's 4....... Lovel is a bit out of the way for you folks further south but provides the exact same remap as that provided by the three more well known folks you mention who provided it to him. Brian himself was present when Gary (Lovel) was remapping next to him at a club meet at Scone.

Perhaps you should check before assuming?

I stand corrected - I hadn't read anywhere before of Lovel joining the official 160 remappers group (at least I don't recall doing so). Sincerest apologies to Lovel and all others affected.

Sprinter
18th August 2017, 21:31

Contact Marinabrian on this very forum.