PDA

View Full Version : Broken Springs

Freebyrd
22nd September 2017, 09:14
Based on members experience, which models are most likely to break suspension coil springs, ZT's or 75's? Are saloons (both ZT & 75) more or less likely to experience broken springs?

coolguy
22nd September 2017, 10:50
I have had broken springs on both my 75s and ZTs - neither are immune!

Ravinder
22nd September 2017, 13:12
Probably both.

HarryM1BYT
22nd September 2017, 13:29
Based on members experience, which models are most likely to break suspension coil springs, ZT's or 75's? Are saloons (both ZT & 75) more or less likely to experience broken springs?

The originals do tend to last a reasonable amount of time, but there are some really cheap and nasty replacements which soon break. Best replacements are the Swedish made ones.

vitesse
22nd September 2017, 18:04
Sadly, one of my expensive, rear Lesjöfors (Swedish) springs fractured after just two years, got a refund after a long wait and ordered replacements from carparts4less, though can’t remember the brand, only remember that I could order shocks and springs for the same price as just springs here.

Regards

HarryM1BYT
22nd September 2017, 21:11
Sadly, one of my expensive, rear Lesjöfors (Swedish) springs fractured after just two years, got a refund after a long wait and ordered replacements from carparts4less, though can’t remember the brand, only remember that I could order shocks and springs for the same price as just springs here.

Regards

I had one of unknown make last me 6 years so far on the NS, OS snapped at around 18 months ago, replaced with a cheapy. By the look of it, the final turn broke (unnoticed) quite soon after fitting, then snapped in the middle in May as I was on route to the MOT. Then I replaced it with a Lesjöfors (thanks for the name), on the recommendation of a mechanic. He said that was the only make they use, because they find them reliable.

My cheapy cost around £18, the Lesjöfors around £26 - not that much more expensive.

vitesse
23rd September 2017, 08:32
Ironic isn’t it that you can buy Lesjöfors (well done spelling) springs so cheaply. My local motor factors sell rear ones for £88 each! Reminds me of the time, ages ago, we were visiting family in Plymouth and I saw a good deal on tyres, bought 4 for the same price I would have paid for 2 - brand Gislaved.

Regards

murphyv310
23rd September 2017, 09:31
I'm sure I read on here that the 1.8 being lighter has less problems with front springs.

HarryM1BYT
23rd September 2017, 13:04
Ironic isn’t it that you can buy Lesjöfors (well done spelling) springs so cheaply.
Regards

Ouch :eek:

Well worth your while to maybe order from a UK dealer and pay for them to be shipped over..