PDA

View Full Version : Plenum check cracks windscreen?

Caskin
29th October 2017, 15:14
A few months ago after checking the plenums,Everything was fine and replaced, a job I have done now too many times to count......for some reason ( now forgotten) I placed a post regarding the procedure,A member replied stating doing the job had cracked his windscreen!!
belive it or not, but on going outside and checking my screen there was a six inch crack radiating up from plenum covers??

Can this occur doing this task, if so how?:shrug:

Screen was replaced free,but still created hassle!

T-Cut
29th October 2017, 17:50
Can this occur doing this task, if so how?:shrug:

By removing the trim that has the popper clips. You have to push a blade of some kind between the trim panel and the glass. If you do that too enthusiastically or with the wrong tool, I can see it easily cracking the glass.

TC

oldcarguy
29th October 2017, 17:59
I have never needed to go anywhere near the windscreen to remove the plenum cover. In fact I check my plenum by removing the drivers side cover and shining a torch down and if it needs to come off just pop the plastic rivets and the rubber seal and lift it off.

Avulon
29th October 2017, 18:01
By removing the trim that has the popper clips. You have to push a blade of some kind between the trim panel and the glass. If you do that too enthusiastically or with the wrong tool, I can see it easily cracking the glass.

TC

You don't have to lever between the panel and the glass at all. Just lever out the pyramid clips with a suitable screwdriver and some care.

suzublu
29th October 2017, 18:28
No tools required, just put your fingers & thumbs over the first 3 clips & pull the cover off:shrug: Anyway, just drill a hole in it then there's no need to remove it:D

marinabrian
30th October 2017, 07:05
No tools required, just put your fingers & thumbs over the first 3 clips & pull the cover off

That's the way I would remove the cover clips too, also saves hunting all over for the one(s) that go shooting off ;)

If checking in the plenum lead to a cracked windscreen, by law of averages I should be onto my thousandth screen this year :getmecoat:

Brian :D

Jim Jamieson
30th October 2017, 08:07
Maybe the screens in question cracked because it was a cry for help :eek:

When we drove down south with our 75 diesel to view and subsequently purchased our Jaguar XF, the screen developed a crack about half way across from the tax disc area.

On that trip no stone had hit the screen and it was after a short stop south of Carlisle that I noticed the break.

Of course this meant I had to get a new screen fitted to the car in its last few days of insurance. It also worked out well for the new owner having a nice new screen.

I always thought it was the car telling me not to let it go :getmecoat:

TeeCee
30th October 2017, 08:14
Most likely bonded screen + age + first cold snap = crack.

Coincidence.

mystabe
30th October 2017, 18:23
When I first got my car and had ecu troubles the windscreen cracked from the base of the screen just above the passenger side plenum cover suspiciously soon (ie pretty much immediately) after I took the covers off for the 1st time. There were no chips on the screen, no recent stone hits and no sudden cold snap so I'm convinced it was removing the plenum covers that caused it somehow.

Interestingly it has never happened again however, just that first time :shrug:

Ennine
30th October 2017, 21:21
the windscreen cracked from the base of the screen just above the passenger side plenum cover

Interestingly it has never happened again however, just that first time :shrug:

If the screen has been replaced at some point and the spacers not located properly or left out, that is the exact place the screen will crack, as and when it feels like it.

Nige

madeupname
31st October 2017, 10:15
My windscreen cracked because the installer had placed it OVER instead of INTO the bottom clip. They had then bonded the rest of the screen to the body and the additional stress this caused was what split the screen.

Ennine
31st October 2017, 11:17
As the screen could already be under stress at that point, it is possible that very minor disturbance in the area, even leaning in that area could be enough to push it over the edge.

Nige