PDA

View Full Version : How can I retrieve CD's from disconnected CD changer??

Caskin
31st October 2017, 14:55
During the last month I have removed the Harmony system inclusive of CD changer in favour of NAVALL.
However I forgot to remove the Cd's,so is there a way I can remove CD cassette and retrieve CD's without power.??
I have noted and removed two small panels on either end of CD changer unit,this reveals a small lever which on both sides can be moved through 90 degrees from up to down.Equally on the side is written 4m x max 6mm??

Im assuming this is the manual way to remove cassette, but dont know how to proceed so would appreciate some advice:shrug:

Avulon
31st October 2017, 15:34
Without power, I couldn't say. But it's easy enough to power up anyway. Just connect some wires into the plug for the 12v and -ve lines, power straight off of the battery and eject the cartridge.

Sector-9
1st November 2017, 04:56
The levers at the sides are for adjusting the 'suspension' inside the changer to the orientation it is mounted in (horizontal, vertical, or somewhere in between) as it isn't a Rover-specific unit. If you're unable to power up the changer in any way then you'll have to take off the lid in order to remove the magazine and hope that all the disc trays were dismounted before the changer was removed otherwise you'll have to strip down the mechanism too.

stevenicks
1st November 2017, 05:43
You are not alone in making this school boy error :eek::getmecoat:;).

bastica
1st November 2017, 06:08
You can try dismantling the charger unit. There are some how tos on that topic, i did that when my cd was stuck, but if your unit works, it is much easier to just power it...

Caskin
1st November 2017, 10:39
Without power, I couldn't say. But it's easy enough to power up anyway. Just connect some wires into the plug for the 12v and -ve lines, power straight off of the battery and eject the cartridge.

There are three plugs attcahed to the harness,blue yellow green,would you happen to know which of the multitude of wires are plus and neg,I have a spare battery,so as you say powering up is the best solution?:duh:

Roverlike
1st November 2017, 11:48
Here is video how you can open cover on your CD Changer as it is exactly the same model as in R75 (BMW one) and from 7:38 up to 7:52 you will see how to eject cassette out.

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMx-YQ8m9j4

Avulon
2nd November 2017, 08:38
Sorry I don't have a pinout for a 3 plug CD changer, only the one that comes with Highline which has only one plug.

Arctic
2nd November 2017, 20:53
I always thought there was a little hole in the front of the unit that you insert a pin/needle and out pops the cartridge ?

Sector-9
2nd November 2017, 22:07
Quite possibly there is and that would be the easiest solution but I expect it'll only work if the disc was dismounted from the drive assembly (i.e. all the trays returned to the magazine) before it was unplugged. It's also possible that the mag may eject even if a tray is loaded in the drive, though obviously that'd still leave a tray/disc inside, but I'm sure it won't if it was unplugged whilst in the process of mounting/dismounting.

Your idea is certainly worth trying, especially as despite my pessimism above there's a high chance the drive was dismounted when it was unplugged.

Caskin
6th November 2017, 11:34
Recently placed a post regarding removal of CD changer with discs inserted,unfortunately I have one disc in play position so am unable to use manual release???
Can anyone plese advise which wires in the multi CD loom are Pos and neg so I can powerit up and eject cartridge?

Randyjim
6th November 2017, 12:18
It's probably easiest to pop out the new head unit again and plug the ISO leads into the original.

I recently made the same mistake and it took less than 10 minutes to correct. This was with USB, auxiliary jack, microphone, Steering control adapter and ISO adapter looms hanging out of the back of the new unit, so it doesn't get much messier than that. It's only 4 screws to release everything after all.

Caskin
6th November 2017, 15:04
It's probably easiest to pop out the new head unit again and plug the ISO leads into the original.

I recently made the same mistake and it took less than 10 minutes to correct. This was with USB, auxiliary jack, microphone, Steering control adapter and ISO adapter looms hanging out of the back of the new unit, so it doesn't get much messier than that. It's only 4 screws to release everything after all.

I did give that some consideration,but fitting the new head wasnt straight forward,,especially placing the GPS hub to gain max immediate satellite availabilty ,
So to be honest I would rather abandon the Cd player etc,rather than take the chnace of damaginbg the new head which was a complicated fit!equaly with the unit virtually apart I will attempt to trace the wiring though,but thanks

Roverlike
6th November 2017, 16:49
There are three plugs attcahed to the harness,blue yellow green,would you happen to know which of the multitude of wires are plus and neg,I have a spare battery,so as you say powering up is the best solution?:duh:

Do you have picture of the plug? To me this looks like ISO C connector, in which case blue one would be for CD changer and in that case you have explanation of wires on wikipedia here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio under "Miscellaneous (C)" chapter.