PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain v6 auto

Avulon
1st November 2017, 12:37
Dad's v6 auto is having a problem with battery drain. There's a continuous drain between 2-3.5Amps (fluctuates a bit) If left over night the battery is flattened. Tests so far have been to disconnect the Alternator (no change) and also to disconnect the highline satnav, amp/radio, and video unit (no change). Short of pullling fuses one by one to try and narrow it down, are there any other likely culprits on a v6 Auto? Connie tourer just about fully loaded: traction control, auto wipers, auto dip mirror, leccy seats etc, OEM xenons, highline, cruise control - No sunroof!

marinabrian
1st November 2017, 13:18
Dad's v6 auto is having a problem with battery drain. There's a continuous drain between 2-3.5Amps (fluctuates a bit) If left over night the battery is flattened. Tests so far have been to disconnect the Alternator (no change) and also to disconnect the highline satnav, amp/radio, and video unit (no change). Short of pullling fuses one by one to try and narrow it down, are there any other likely culprits on a v6 Auto? Connie tourer just about fully loaded: traction control, auto wipers, auto dip mirror, leccy seats etc, OEM xenons, highline, cruise control - No sunroof!

Disconnect the LSM and see if it persists ;)

Brian :D

Mickyboy
1st November 2017, 15:26
This is the sort of thing I do when I’m checking for any drains, it’s easier for me to postup a link to YouTube clip than sit here and write it as it will take ages, not only that but if you watch the video you can follow the instructions and it will probably help

https://youtu.be/lgLp8ziCNIs
Mick

Avulon
1st November 2017, 16:54
Disconnect the LSM and see if it persists ;)

If disconnecting the LSM does do the trick, does that mean that He'll need the LSM replacing?

Mickyboy
1st November 2017, 17:34
If disconnecting the LSM does do the trick, does that mean that He'll need the LSM replacing?

Yeah if the LSM is faulty you could replace it and get it coded to match the odometer mileage via T4 another program can also do this but I won’t mention it.
I have removed LSM’s before and noticed that the pins where the terminal block connects were heavily corroded
Mick

marinabrian
1st November 2017, 17:46
Normally a fault on the LSM where the led backlighting remains illuminated, prevents the BCU going to sleep, so instead of a quiescent current of 45mA, you have a constant 2.5 to 3A drain.

You can check this easily, simply look through the window of the car after dark with it locked for at least 10 minutes, if the LSM is illuminated, it's the main culprit and will need replaced.

As the car has factory xenon lamps, you will need an appropriate LSM programmed to suit the car.

I do carry YWC000200 and 201 switches in stock, and can programme them to be plug and play if required ;)

Avulon
1st November 2017, 18:57
Thanks chaps, I'll do my best to find out. Has to be by instruction over the phone until I see him next (he's over an hour away from me).