PDA

View Full Version : Unusual noise when braking

hinged_bap
3rd November 2017, 08:31
Last night, I came off a motorway and was braking around a long curved slip road. I noticed a strange noise that sounded a bit like ABS pulsing but it wasn't, a bit like a cyclic rumble. Cruise control and Speedo both work fine.

I did some tests in an empty part of he works car park this morning and sometimes it makes the noise and sometimes it doesn't ( going straight or around a curve) , but its only on braking. The ABS light goes off OK.

Any ideas as to what it might be would be much appreciated.

PS: The pads and discs have been changed within the last 20k miles and they've plenty left on them.
thanks
BAP

COLVERT
4th November 2017, 10:42
Make sure the caliper bolts are tight.

A rare fault on the wife's car.

She complained of an occasional scraping sound when she braked.

It turned out the one of the caliper holding bolts had fallen out.--:eek:

It was swinging backwards and forwards and hitting the inside of the wheel. The incredible thing was the car was still braking OK.

New bolts with new lock-tight cured it.

hinged_bap
5th November 2017, 12:21
Make sure the caliper bolts are tight.

A rare fault on the wife's car.

She complained of an occasional scraping sound when she braked.

It turned out the one of the caliper holding bolts had fallen out.--:eek:

It was swinging backwards and forwards and hitting the inside of the wheel. The incredible thing was the car was still braking OK.

New bolts with new lock-tight cured it.

thanks for the suggestion. At first I thought this looks promising but having just checked them I think the bolts are in place. I have spoked fork wheels and I can get to the calipers through the gaps, the calipers seem tight ( they won't swing outwards ) but also, I can see the inside of the rim where rubbing would occur and there isn't any. I've been out in her this morning and she is still showing the fault on an intermittent basis. No ABS light on tho. At one stage, I thought the sound was a bit like air ( or vacuum ) from the servo but it was very transient and I can't be sure. When it happens, the pedal does seem to pulse a bit.