PDA

View Full Version : Creamy residue in intercooler pipe

JMW
4th November 2017, 16:20
Hi, second question of the night, when I was looking at the FBH I took off the intercooler pipe to get better access to the fuel pipe.

There was a creamy residue in the silicone hose pipe, similar to what I’ve had in the past when I had a head gasket failure. I have the EGR bypass.

Has anyone had this? Know what the cause is? Know how to fix it?

Should I be concerned or is it just moisture mixing with the oil residue I the intercooler?

Many thanks

Mike Noc
5th November 2017, 08:11
I have never seen this in any of our diesels - we have 4 in the family. :}

JMW
5th November 2017, 10:06
Here is the pic

steve-45
5th November 2017, 18:54
Have you been doing lots of short trips, maybe from cold ?

JMW
5th November 2017, 19:25
Have you been doing lots of short trips, maybe from cold ?

I usually only drive a few miles to work which isn't long enough to get warmed up, but the car does get long trips like yesterday and today with a 300 mile round trip. It was very wet yesterday when we drove through the rain and there were some significant puddles and road spray.

Im replacing the intercooler pipe this week so should I flush the intercooler out with degreaser to clear out any oil residue and or fit the special air intake deflector?

Mike Noc
5th November 2017, 19:45
You should fit the air deflector plate as it was developed to protect the MAF sensor - unless you are running a MAFless remap of course. :}

JMW
5th November 2017, 20:25
You should fit the air deflector plate as it was developed to protect the MAF sensor - unless you are running a MAFless remap of course. :}

I’ve got a maf and no remap, just ordered two from DMGRS ( one for Dad as well) so will get it fitted as soon as I can.

Thanks