PDA

View Full Version : Rear demister not working

brianw
6th November 2017, 18:23
I have just got home from work and my Wife has told me that her rear screen demister did not work this morning.
It may have been gone for some time but only noticed this morning due to the frost.

I understand that it is fed from a relay in the engine compartment fusebox activated by the BCU when the temperature is below 10C or the rear or front demist button is pressed.

Does anyone know which relay it is?

Also I have seen reference to a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box on that circuit.

Anyone know which one?

My Wife will be back from work shortly so I will be able to take a look then but any heads up on just where to point my torch would be usefull.

My Wife has returned sooner than expected.
To answer my own queries it was relay No 2 and fuse no 7
Also it was working!

Roverpip
6th November 2017, 23:19
I have just got home from work and my Wife has told me that her rear screen demister did not work this morning.
It may have been gone for some time but only noticed this morning due to the frost.

I understand that it is fed from a relay in the engine compartment fusebox activated by the BCU when the temperature is below 10C or the rear or front demist button is pressed.

Does anyone know which relay it is?

Also I have seen reference to a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box on that circuit.

Anyone know which one?

My Wife will be back from work shortly so I will be able to take a look then but any heads up on just where to point my torch would be usefull.

My Wife has returned sooner than expected.
To answer my own queries it was relay No 2 and fuse no 7
Also it was working!

Hi Brian, you might want to check the module connected at the rear of the car. Drivers side, behind the quarter pillar. If you pull off the cover, you will see the rear demister module. I'd check the connections to that first.

Mine had shorted out & judging by the look of some of the ones I pulled from scrap yard donor cars, it appeared to be a common fault whereby the live plug became brittle and 'diconnected' .

Does the switch light up when pressed, or as you say, when the temp hits a certain degree?
If so then my money would be on the module, as I had similar symptoms.

Of course I could be wrong, but hope this helps

DURR, just re-read your post - you fixed it.

Phil.