PDA

View Full Version : Have I damaged my electric seat ecu

yellownev
7th November 2017, 17:00
My 75 tourer failed its mot today... a few bits, all doable but one frustring one was the electric seats were not working ...when I looked under there was a pair of strong magnets( kids toy) by the ECU... is it possible they have damaged the unit ? Checked fuses ok, getting 14v on the live feed ( black plug) but nothing operates?

Any thoughts

Tia

Nev

Rev Jules
7th November 2017, 17:45
My 75 tourer failed its mot today... a few bits, all doable but one frustring one was the electric seats were not working ...when I looked under there was a pair of strong magnets( kids toy) by the ECU... is it possible they have damaged the unit ? Checked fuses ok, getting 14v on the live feed ( black plug) but nothing operates?

Any thoughts

Tia

Nev

Are you saying the electric seat was one of the failures?

Rev

Mickyboy
7th November 2017, 17:52
From my experience with MOT tests the following rules apply to electric seats

Method of Inspection of Seats

1. Check the drivers and all passengers seats for security.

2. Check that the backrests of all seats front and rear can be secured in their normal upright position.

3. Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions.

Hence any MOT tester testing a car with electric seats should be testing to make sure they can move correctly, if they don’t the vehicle should be failed.
Mick

As for the seat ECU, I have seen them only work intermittently, you can often get them working by disconnecting the ECU and then reconnecting it sometimes.

If this works as a temporary measure to get the car through the MOT I would disconnect the ECU before the test then reconnect it just before the mot and it will probably work temporarily during the test.

At least this will give you a MOT while you source another seat ECU. It’s a little bit cheeky but how often do you ever adjust your seats once you’ve got them in the correct position anyway
Mick

yellownev
7th November 2017, 19:14
Are you saying the electric seat was one of the failures?

Rev

Yes, 4 things
1. near side headlight too low - sorted
2. one of the two number plate lights not working - sorted
3. seat not moveable - ordered another ecu from ebay ...as I cant think it'll be anything else (but did wonder if the magnets had fubarr'd it )
4. headlight washers not working - pump fubarr'd - another ebay purchase. but a difficult job to get access.

I think BMW had a competition when they designed the 75 to see how many different ways to design electrical block connectors - never experienced so many different ways to 'lock them' !!!

Not too bad 118,000 miles 54 plate - I really like the car and want to keep it as long as I can :}

yellownev
7th November 2017, 19:16
From my experience with MOT tests the following rules apply to electric seats

Method of Inspection of Seats

1. Check the drivers and all passengers seats for security.

2. Check that the backrests of all seats front and rear can be secured in their normal upright position.

3. Check that the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions.

Hence any MOT tester testing a car with electric seats should be testing to make sure they can move correctly, if they don’t the vehicle should be failed.
Mick

As for the seat ECU, I have seen them only work intermittently, you can often get them working by disconnecting the ECU and then reconnecting it sometimes.

If this works as a temporary measure to get the car through the MOT I would disconnect the ECU before the test then reconnect it just before the mot and it will probably work temporarily during the test.

At least this will give you a MOT while you source another seat ECU. It’s a little bit cheeky but how often do you ever adjust your seats once you’ve got them in the correct position anyway
Mick

I tried the disconnect and reconnect but to no avail....ebay one ordered for Thursday !

Thanks for taking time to reply

stevestrat
7th November 2017, 19:19
headlight washers not working - pump fubarr'd - another ebay purchase. but a difficult job to get access.Not that difficult, undo the front of the offside wheel arch liner, but awkward but you can get at the pump.

yellownev
7th November 2017, 19:27
Not that difficult, undo the front of the offside wheel arch liner, but awkward but you can get at the pump.

I got it off by taking the bottom panel off the wheel arch cover - got a arm full of washer fluid :duh: as i lifted it out of the washer bottle.

macafee2
7th November 2017, 19:57
I think for drivers side. if you remove the big plug under seat and apply 12v to the white yellow and yellow white wires that go to the seat the seat will move backwards and forwards depending on which way round you apply the 12v.

macafee2

yellownev
7th November 2017, 20:51
I think for drivers side. if you remove the big plug under seat and apply 12v to the white yellow and yellow white wires that go to the seat the seat will move backwards and forwards depending on which way round you apply the 12v.

macafee2

Thats good to know thank you - its a plan b to get the MOT if the replacement ECU does not fix the problem.

yellownev
13th November 2017, 12:37
Sorted it with a replacement ECU from ebay.... I have to presume the magnets affected the ECU ? Lesson learnt - thanks for your help

picky747
14th November 2017, 10:23
My passenger seat stopped working last week, turned out to be the relay under the seat.

yellownev
14th November 2017, 12:56
My passenger seat stopped working last week, turned out to be the relay under the seat.

There was no relay under the seat on mine just the ECU 'black box' - £17.50 delivered now fitted and MOT passed - happy days. :}