PDA

View Full Version : No power to dash

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 06:51
Hi
I have a problem with no power going to my dash, if I unplug the loom connector to the ignition switch and bridge the connectors I get the dash lit up so I bought a new switch, fitted it but still the same have checked battery,fuses all ok can anyone shed any light on this issue

rustymotor
8th November 2017, 07:20
Hi have you checked for any earthing problems? and does starter turn?

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 09:14
Thanks for replying
It started with the starter motor clicking just one click when I turned the key so I held it so I could click it in quick succession and after a while it would start but then when the journey was finished and I turned it off it went back to one click when I turned the key but one day I was clicking to get it started and all the dash lights went off along with the power windows, heater, stereo all in all nothing came to life except the side lights, main lights, hazards and central locking checked battery it was fine and fuses which I found one 5amp blown so I replaced it but to no avail
I am about to replace the relay for the engine management which is in the fuse box under the bonnet as when I wired the ignition switch connector and got the dash lights back on in the computer screen the engine management icon had a cross through it

rustymotor
8th November 2017, 09:42
Hi I'm sure someone with great knowledge will assist you soon, could the starter solenoid be playing up? Link to DMGRS. (https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-starter-motor-repair-kit-contacts-and-plunger-nad101500)

(https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-starter-motor-repair-kit-contacts-and-plunger-nad101500)
Be careful not to cause any electrical surges, and perhaps try a reset by disconnecting the battery for a while.

(https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-starter-motor-repair-kit-contacts-and-plunger-nad101500)

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 09:49
Hi
I have reset the battery(left it off all night) but still no good neither was the relay lol can the starter motor cause all ignition lights to fail? And radio etc etc totally confused me that's for sure thanks for trying though :}

clf
8th November 2017, 09:56
Hi
I have reset the battery(left it off all night) but still no good neither was the relay lol can the starter motor cause all ignition lights to fail? And radio etc etc totally confused me that's for sure thanks for trying though :}The clicking sounds like the starter solenoid issue, if the battery has been disconnected (you took off both leads?)

Another problem I have read ref the starter, has been dirty or corroded connections. Have you removed the cables and cleaned them?

As far as the dash lights, I don't see how these would be related unless there has been some kind of surge due to the leads (but there could well be some kind of association, :shrug:)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Jackstevens98
8th November 2017, 10:19
If it is your starter motor I have one for a automatic v6 for sale just depends what model you have...

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 10:30
If it is your starter motor I have one for a automatic v6 for sale just depends what model you have...

Hi jack

Thanks for this but mine is a cdti don't know if they are the same

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 10:37
Hi all
Earth lead is ok as is the live
I am thinking it could be something to do with where the ignition bundle goes is this to the ecu?

suzublu
8th November 2017, 10:55
Have you checked the ecu for water damage?

Jasdrisc
8th November 2017, 11:06
Have you checked the ecu for water damage?

Hi suzublu
I will check it but I keep my drain holes clear as I know this is a problem but anything is worth a try thanks

rustymotor
8th November 2017, 14:44
When I bought my cdti and driving up the M3 all the warning lights were flashing like a Xmas tree, after getting it home and dragging the pollen filter out it was soaking half way up, there had been quite a bit of rain the days before I got it though, I'm guessing the seller thought the ecu was US.

Cleared the holes, new filter left the hood up for a day and bingo all was well but, if yours are clean maybe check connections.