PDA

View Full Version : One for the technical guys.

Number 6
9th November 2017, 14:46
Occasionaly when I turn the Headlights on the car/engine cuts out.:shrug:

There does not seem to be a pattern with this just randomly happens.

It has been ok for month's but in the last two day it has happened twice,when it happens you have to stop the car switch off and then it will re-start Ok,switch the lights back on and all is fine..

Any of you guys any idea as to why this happens ??

CivilSteve
9th November 2017, 14:54
Could be a ground issue. Can you get it do cut out by using any other electrical items , fans on full , interior light on etc?

Does it happen even if you leave car running for a short while before turning lights on ? Rather then start up flick lights on.

Avulon
9th November 2017, 14:59
Are you using HIDs? OEM or aftermarket.

I've had the same problem with aftermarket HIDs - did work fine but started having the same problem as you except cutting out the engine every time regardless - I've temporarily gone back to Halogen bulbs but will try a new HID ballast/starter when I have the time. In my case it was only the nearside causing the issue - no problem with that side disconnected. no problems using halogen bulbs.

Number 6
9th November 2017, 16:26
Could be a ground issue. Can you get it do cut out by using any other electrical items , fans on full , interior light on etc?

Does it happen even if you leave car running for a short while before turning lights on ? Rather then start up flick lights on.

Well the first time this week it was within seconds of starting the car as I was in an underground car park so needed the lights on,And the second time was after driving a few miles.

the very first time it happened was a couple of years back when I was on an autoroute doing about 75 MPH. As I say it is very intermittent..

Number 6
9th November 2017, 16:28

Are you using HIDs? OEM or aftermarket.

I've had the same problem with aftermarket HIDs - did work fine but started having the same problem as you except cutting out the engine every time regardless - I've temporarily gone back to Halogen bulbs but will try a new HID ballast/starter when I have the time. In my case it was only the nearside causing the issue - no problem with that side disconnected. no problems using halogen bulbs.

well yes I am using after market HID's but they always seem to work OK by that I mean they always come on OK

stevestrat
9th November 2017, 16:30
Could this be caused by the known problem of the wiring rubbing through where it passes over the front chassis leg.