PDA

View Full Version : MOT fail corrosion

brianw
11th November 2017, 12:08
I have just had my CDT fail on the following: :eek:

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Typically on getting home I could not park anywhere near the house so have been unable to take a look yet.
It is the 'outer sill' bit that has me stumped. I thought that was the part beneath the doors and i suppose including the jacking area.

Has anyone else had this. I thought the sills where reckoned to be pretty good as a rule on our cars.

It also failed on the smoke test but the engine was cold when i took it in so am hoping a bottle of forte and italian tune up would cope with that.
It is the corrosion that concerns me.
I have always felt pretty blase on that front I guess.
Perhaps it's time to check guys.

Update:
I have just been laying in the gutter in the rain to take a look.
There is a hole on the underside of the outer sill each side near to the rear jacking points. The areas have been marked in crayon. I have not been able to get under properly to see if anymore areas are marked but from the wording I am hoping this is it.

Lancpudn
11th November 2017, 12:37
I have just had my CDT fail on the following: :eek:

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Typically on getting home I could not park anywhere near the house so have been unable to take a look yet.
It is the 'outer sill' bit that has me stumped. I thought that was the part beneath the doors and i suppose including the jacking area.

Has anyone else had this. I thought the sills where reckoned to be pretty good as a rule on our cars.

It also failed on the smoke test but the engine was cold when i took it in so am hoping a bottle of forte and italian tune up would cope with that.
It is the corrosion that concerns me.
I have always felt pretty blase on that front I guess.
Perhaps it's time to check guys.

Update:
I have just been laying in the gutter in the rain to take a look.
There is a hole on the underside of the outer sill each side near to the rear jacking points. The areas have been marked in crayon. I have not been able to get under properly to see if anymore areas are marked but from the wording I am hoping this is it.

Yeah I had this last year on the n/s rear which I cut out & welded new metal in, finding good enough metal to weld too is getting harder to find :mad: and this years MOT got advisories for the same on the o/s and two other areas for corrosion, I think that it will be it for me, I'm not prepared to chase the corrosion as I've done when I was younger, the body isn't willing anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/aeuhDJ5l.jpg

roverbarmy
11th November 2017, 12:44
I spray through the car body's drain holes with a 360 degree lance spray of cavity wax every spring and autumn. Hopefully, that should keep the tinworm at bay!:shrug:

brianw
11th November 2017, 13:11
Yeah I had this last year on the n/s rear which I cut out & welded new metal in, finding good enough metal to weld too is getting harder to find :mad: and this years MOT got advisories for the same on the o/s and two other areas for corrosion, I think that it will be it for me, I'm not prepared to chase the corrosion as I've done when I was younger, the body isn't willing anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/aeuhDJ5l.jpg

Yes that is the same location as where my problem is.
At the moment the holes are about the size of a ten pence piece but who knows how big when cleaned up.
I have in the past done a lot of welding on a transit i had and landrover. All done with an arc welder which was ok on the landrover chassis but pretty awkward on the transit.
Really need someone with a Mig for this.

brianw
11th November 2017, 13:15
I spray through the car body's drain holes with a 360 degree lance spray of cavity wax every spring and autumn. Hopefully, that should keep the tinworm at bay!:shrug:

I hope it works for you.
And to think i gave away 2 gallons of waxoyl and a sprayer that had been in my shed for years shortly before i got the 75's.
I had not felt involved enough for previous cars to use it!

Lancpudn
11th November 2017, 13:21
Yes that is the same location as where my problem is.
At the moment the holes are about the size of a ten pence piece but who knows how big when cleaned up.
I have in the past done a lot of welding on a transit i had and landrover. All done with an arc welder which was ok on the landrover chassis but pretty awkward on the transit.
Really need someone with a Mig for this.

Yes that's the trouble, by the time you've cleaned the holes up & cut out the rot they are three/four times the size, The rot/thin metal went up to the very edge of that area :mad: by the time I'd finished, all new metal welded in & new jacking pad and schultz painted.

Yes a MIG welder is a must. lying on your back welding upwards 6 inches from your face is a lousy job to say the least.

https://i.imgur.com/Exmo1YEl.jpg?1

roverbarmy
11th November 2017, 13:37
I hope it works for you.
And to think i gave away 2 gallons of waxoyl and a sprayer that had been in my shed for years shortly before i got the 75's.
I had not felt involved enough for previous cars to use it!
I use this for the suspension components:-
https://imgur.com/GH4ni5J
and clear for anywhere that it might be seen.
clear stuff (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hamber-Dynax-UC-Clear-Film-Anti-Corrosion-Wax-750ml-Aerosol-Cavity-Body/181161005563?hash=item2a2e0991fb:g:LywAAOxygLxSVRx t)

brianw
11th November 2017, 13:48
The area certainly does grow when you start cleanup.
I recall on aforementioned transit rhat i found a small hole right under the rear sping hanger. While a mate was dispatched to pick up a spring hanger i carried on cleaning up - by the time he got back i needed an adjacent outrigger plus another piece that I cannot recall now.
The initial hole was just the size of the screwdriver tip i was checking soundness with!

suzublu
11th November 2017, 14:08
Caught mine in time:o https://i.imgur.com/aE4vhjRl.jpg
There is a cavity behind the liner, where water & mud collect. If not cleaned regularly, rust starts & moves along the sill:duh: As previously said, I've sprayed into all cavities & clean often.:cool:

tonytj
12th November 2017, 20:51
I have had to weld my 2002 ZT sills this month bought the car last December with full MOT with no adviseraries think the MOT test must have been dodgey

tonytj
12th November 2017, 21:02
I bought two repair pannels for a Mercedes Sprinter outer door sill
1995 to 2005 i cut them in half and used them on all four corners the profile of these small sill pannels was close enough to the oringnal sills and they only cost £15 pounds each from ebay