PDA

View Full Version : Headlight washers worked then stopped working after pump replaced

yellownev
13th November 2017, 12:47
Hi,

Another frustrating problem I am hoping someone can help on? I posted my 75 Tourer (04 plate) failed its mot. Sorted the issues apart from the headlight washer.

I took the old pump off and checked it was seized so i got another from Ebay. Fitted it this morning and all working well apart from a leak on the pipe where pressed it onto the new pump. I swapped over the O seals from the old to the new pump and the leak was stopped but on the second test - nothing the pump had stopped working.

Checked the pump - ok. Checked the fuse under the glove box Ok checked the voltage at the pump plug - nothing ? It feels like a fuse, is there another I am missing ? Or is this a crazy reset I need to do ? Lost and my MOT runs out in 2 days. Help !!

first-things-first
13th November 2017, 13:08
Sorry, if this is obvious.

Headlamp washers only work every 5th squirt of windscreen washers and only with the dipped beam lights on. Switching dipped beam off and back on may reset the count, but not sure.

Also, water level needs to be sufficient (stops them working, before it's empty) for the headlamp washers to work as they take more water than the windscreen.

Power may only be a momentary thing, not sure on that one. Someone should be along to help.

Avulon
13th November 2017, 13:15

Headlamp washers only work every 5th squirt of windscreen washers and only with the dipped beam lights on. Switching dipped beam off and back on may reset the count, but not sure.

Also, water level needs to be sufficient for the headlamp washers to work as they take more water than the windscreen.

Power may only be a momentary thing, not sure on that one. Someone should be along to help.

:wot:

I think lights off and back on does reset the count. It's unlikely the fuse has blown after one use unless there's wiring damage or you've shorted the plug during operation.

yellownev
13th November 2017, 13:37

Also, water level needs to be sufficient (stops them working, before it's empty) for the headlamp washers to work as they take more water than the windscreen.

This forum never fails to impress, thank you for the replies. This car seems to have more intelligence than me ! It was indeed the water level. I suspect when the washer low warning comes on power to the headlight pump is cut to preserve the water for the windscreen.... I was standing in the open door so did not see the warning.... as soon as I topped up it started working again. Sometimes I think I should leave this to the professionals but there again it would cost me a lot more than a bit of frustration.

Thanks again I appreciate the speedy responses.

Re MOT tomorrow so hopefully another year with the car - it really is a nice car !

stevestrat
13th November 2017, 14:52
It was indeed the water level. I suspect when the washer low warning comes on power to the headlight pump is cut to preserve the water for the windscreenIts actually to prevent the pump running dry and burning out.

yellownev
13th November 2017, 14:59
Its actually to prevent the pump running dry and burning out.

Thanks Steve, more learning for me ! Now emboldened and onto my A/C and the demist test .... :duh: