PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Cost

Mothman
15th November 2017, 08:26
My 75 failed its MOT yesterday, offside rear sill needs welding and also a rear brake caliper needs replacing.

Garage has quoted £107+vat for a reconditioned brake caliper , labour & new pads will be extra. Does this sound reasonable as new ones seem to be available on ebay for £40 inc vat but not sure if this is the complete thing though, as it seems a big price difference?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-1-8-and-2-0-1999-2005-Rear-Right-Drivers-O-S-Brake-Caliper-/361851300163?hash=item544004a943

EastPete
15th November 2017, 08:29
Seems a bit steep - I think I got some reconditioned rear calipers from Sutton Auto Factors a couple of years back for about 50 pounds each.

Pete

marinabrian
15th November 2017, 16:21
The ones you linked to in your post will be fine, almost as cheap as buying new pistons and seals, which is what I did when overhauling the rear brake calipers on my 75.

Get a pair bought, even if it's the offside only at fault, the nearside won't be far behind, and it will still be cheaper than having one supplied by the garage.

I will go one step further and suggest you could even fit these yourself, two 7mm slider bolts, and one hydraulic union, and a 500ml bottle of brake fluid to bleed them.

Put into context, the job of refitting the overhauled calipers and bleeding the brakes took me 15 minutes for both sides ;)

Brian :D

The Gas Man
15th November 2017, 18:13
The ones you linked to in your post will be fine, almost as cheap as buying new pistons and seals, which is what I did when overhauling the rear brake calipers on my 75.

Get a pair bought, even if it's the offside only at fault, the nearside won't be far behind, and it will still be cheaper than having one supplied by the garage.

I will go one step further and suggest you could even fit these yourself, two 7mm slider bolts, and one hydraulic union, and a 500ml bottle of brake fluid to bleed them.

Put into context, the job of refitting the overhauled calipers and bleeding the brakes took me 15 minutes for both sides ;)

Brian :D

Second all that, fitted a pair about a year ago and their fine and still 'shine like new'. I crimped the hose near to the caliper and got wifey to apply pressure to the brake pedal before removing the clip to bleed. Don't forget new pads.

The Rovering Member
21st March 2021, 16:11
I might as well continue this rather than starting a new thread.
Offside rear caliper is binding on. I had to remove the caliper & pads with a Scottish screwdriver (No offence to our friends north of the border. ;)). Rather than faffing about trying to free it off l'll get a new one, probably a pair along with pads.
There are a plethora of calipers online from £26 upwards. What have members used that they can recommend?
The link in the first post is broken.

The Rovering Member
22nd March 2021, 22:14
Any opinions? :shrug:

If they're all much of a muchness I'll go with the cheap ones.

trikey
23rd March 2021, 09:46
I have fitted a few eBay ones for members and they have been fine

The Rovering Member
23rd March 2021, 14:56
Ok, thanks Andy. I'll go with those then.

minty2
25th March 2021, 06:38
I might as well continue this rather than starting a new thread.
Offside rear caliper is binding on. I had to remove the caliper & pads with a Scottish screwdriver (No offence to our friends north of the border. ;)). Rather than faffing about trying to free it off l'll get a new one, probably a pair along with pads.
There are a plethora of calipers online from £26 upwards. What have members used that they can recommend?
The link in the first post is broken.

The online eBay offerings are cheap as chips and should be fine but the front callipers I ordered failed to materialise and with car undriveable without replacement on at least one side, I had to cancel the order and ended up with refurbs off Euro Car Parts. These were £90 each after exchange compared with £30 off eBay; quite a difference! But I just couldn’t get a delivery date off two suppliers so I had no choice in the end. The replacements came in Pagit boxes.

The Rovering Member
25th March 2021, 07:28
I must say some of the ridiculously low prices do make me a little nervous & the generic photos show quite a poor quality casting. :D
I've enquired about a pair from Rolling Components at £102. It says they're for the vented discs though but l wouldn't have thought it would make a difference whether you have vented or solid discs, which l do. The photos of the actual calipers do show a much smoother casting & l don't mind spending a little more on a pair.

gnu
25th March 2021, 08:08
I must say some of the ridiculously low prices do make me a little nervous & the generic photos show quite a poor quality casting. :D
I've enquired about a pair from Rolling Components at £102. It says they're for the vented discs though but l wouldn't have thought it would make a difference whether you have vented or solid discs, which l do. The photos of the actual calipers do show a much smoother casting & l don't mind spending a little more on a pair.

Solid discs are often thinner, as they don’t have to make room for the air gap. This can result in different piston travel measurements.

The Rovering Member
25th March 2021, 15:07
Yes, they are thinner by about 5mm l think. But are the pistons in the vented disc calipers any shorter than the solid disc ones? If not it shouldn't make any difference to the piston how thick the discs
are, surely? It'll just come out as far as it needs to in the same way as it does to compensate for pad wear. :shrug:

madeupname
25th March 2021, 15:45
I just paid Mickyboy £25 each for all four callipers. They need cleaning and refurbing, but I'm happy with that price :}

The Rovering Member
25th March 2021, 17:24
Yes, that's cheap. :D l could refurb mine l suppose but l was looking to do a quick swap job outside the house. I could just get cheap ones & refurb my originals at leisure.

My enquiry was answered. The vented disc calipers have a larger piston than the solid disc items.

The Rovering Member
28th March 2021, 22:23
I've ordered the correct calipers from the ebay suppliers of the vented disc calipers:

https://www.jasauto.co.uk/

They are originally supplied by Rolling Components of Basildon, which l quite liked the sound of when l looked them up:

https://www.rollingcomponents.com/

You have to be registered to order direct from Rollco but you have to be trade too. They're refurbished as far as l can see but as l said, they do look much better quality than the bulk of the 'bay 'brand new' offerings.
Anyway £138 all in for the calipers & 'best quality' pads. We shall see when they arrive.

I looked at the defunct caliper at the weekend & pushed the piston back in but to be honest it all looked pretty rough & the pads didn't look as if they had been in proper contact with the disc for some time, the surfaces being very uneven & the bottom edges crumbled away in places, despite not being fitted that long ago. Most unedifying. Component quality has become so hit & miss that you yearn for the old days of reliable motor factors in every town. :shrug:

suzublu
29th March 2021, 08:44
That's where I got mine from, jasauto, no problems with them at all 👍

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The Rovering Member
2nd April 2021, 22:01
I fitted them today, quite straightforward all told. I clamped the hoses to remove them (l know some advise against this), let gravity do it's work once the new ones were on then the good lady gave the pedal a couple of pumps & presses to expel the few air bubbles there were.
I suspect the rough surfaces & crumbling edges of the pads in the sticking caliper was heat damage.
I cleaned the discs up with sandpaper & did the same with the handbrake drums & shoes.