PDA

View Full Version : Poor throttle response 2.0 CDTi

6000Karl
15th November 2017, 19:53
Have ZTT 131,2004. Problem is: Little power below 1800 r.p.m and little power over 3000 rpm. Figures approx. Pulls like a train mid-range. Have changed dodgy maf sensor. Did not fix problem, but improved fuel economy by 10%. No fault codes. I think it could be a boost issue. I can read boost pressure via app. Shows little boost till circa 1800 rpm, and boost falls off over 3000 rpm.
If I start looking at the boost control, am I in the right or wrong direction?

Did not realise I had a problem till I fitted a new clutch (had to drive with very gentle right foot). Car was purchased with dodgy clutch.

Any help appreciated.

Karl

Fusilier
15th November 2017, 20:30
Have ZTT 131,2004. Problem is: Little power below 1800 r.p.m and little power over 3000 rpm. Figures approx. Pulls like a train mid-range. Have changed dodgy maf sensor. Did not fix problem, but improved fuel economy by 10%. No fault codes. I think it could be a boost issue. I can read boost pressure via app. Shows little boost till circa 1800 rpm, and boost falls off over 3000 rpm.

Did not realise I had a problem till I fitted a new clutch (had to drive with very gentle right foot). Car was purchased with dodgy clutch.

Any help appreciated.

Karl

Karl

Firstly welcome to the forum, and also noticed that you are in durham, where exactly are you ?

If I were you, I would pop my car over to Turbo Dave (Dave Johnson), who is an MG Rover mechanic and he knows our cars inside out, and he is based in Woodstone Village, next door to the VW Camper Restorers

or you could possible ask our local T4 Guru, Marinabrian to cast his magic wand over it for you, he lives in Newcastle area, if he agrees, send him a Private Message

Regards

Stu

grivas
15th November 2017, 20:34

Any help appreciated.

Karl

Hi, first question to ask is the replacement MAF sensor a genuine Bosch one, if not, then there may well be the answer, check also EGR valve is clean, the hose attached to it is in good condition, and not covered in oily deposits at the bottom end, if it is then the elbow to the intercooler is leaking and you are loosing boost, change ring seals with Viton type.

vincentfishing
16th November 2017, 13:38
just disconnect the maf plug ,you will notice the difference straight away if its still a maf problem, driven 2 of mine with it disconnected when it lacked power at low revs, makes a big difference, just reconnected for mot in case it affected emmissions ,passed no problem.

marinabrian
16th November 2017, 15:56
just disconnect the maf plug ,you will notice the difference straight away if its still a maf problem, driven 2 of mine with it disconnected when it lacked power at low revs, makes a big difference, just reconnected for mot in case it affected emmissions ,passed no problem.

Unless it in EGR fault, in which case unplugging the MAF disables EGR operation masking the actual fault ;)

As Stu says I'm quite prepared to find out the real cause for the OP

Brian :D

6000Karl
16th November 2017, 17:53
Think I may have been on right track to start with. May have vacuum leak on turbo actuator pipe. Will try and put car on stands this weekend and check it out.
Spoken with turbo expert, checked all the live data I can get, ruled a lot of things out.
Had run car with maf disconnected, as I already know they run good in that mode, but use more fuel.
I have ruled out maf, egr, tps, turbo. Hope it is simply a piece of hose!
Thanks for suggestions, and for the guy who asked, I am in West Auckland. Not worked out how to do a direct reply on this site yet!
Will post results Monday, if not too cold at weekend.

KOH
16th November 2017, 21:09
Karl
Sorry if I am responding when my betters are already on the task
To get in touch with say MarinaBrian just LEFT click on the persons Id in their reply to you and select send personal message
or for general response - Post Reply