PDA

View Full Version : Belt noise?

peelaaa
16th November 2017, 10:41
Hi,

over the last few days I have heard a noise from engine when cold, it increases with revs and sounds like a revolving belt noise. Not rattling, but as if it would need some lubrication. When engine is warmed through, there is no noise.

Any ideas?

Diesel done 216k

roverbarmy
16th November 2017, 12:58
Check the belt tensioners for wear and the belts for contamination.

Mike Noc
17th November 2017, 05:54
Noisy water pump? You can check that and the other pulleys by removing the belts and turning them by hand checking for any roughness.

rustymotor
17th November 2017, 08:28
What I tend to do is at tick over give everything a good dose of WD40 then see what squeaks and what doesn't..alternator bearings get dry etc..

thegreatdaddo
24th November 2017, 20:03
It could be noise from the aircon compressor due to low gas (assuming you have aircon). The solution is to have re-gas. Should go away if you deselect aircon (econ button).

peelaaa
8th December 2017, 18:30
Just getting back to this.

Put a bit of water on the pulley closest to the front of car( power steering?) and noise went away for awhile.

Does this mean there is dirt on the belt causing the noise?
When engine warmed up, there is no noise

COLVERT
9th December 2017, 19:36
Just getting back to this.

Put a bit of water on the pulley closest to the front of car( power steering?) and noise went away for awhile.

Does this mean there is dirt on the belt causing the noise?
When engine warmed up, there is no noise

When you first start the engine for a short while the alternator charge rate is high. This puts an extra load on a partially worn drive belt. Hence the noise. As the load drops the noise decreases. You are artificially reducing the load by putting water on the belt so the noise stops.

Also the tensioner needs checking in case this is the cause.

jackatesme
9th December 2017, 19:44
I had similar,changed both belts and both tensioners. Fixed problem. Bought parts myself,i found reputable garage,charged about £70 to replace all.

T16
10th December 2017, 18:10
Just on this...

Ive a similar squeaking noise (Not that bad) on cold starts.. I was going to drop the belt off and investigate, if it was the Steering pump, how free is that to turn when the engine is off?

Its really annoying as the sound is almost impossible to locate, sometimes I swear its the AC Tensioner, other times I swear its coming from the PS pump.

A/C tensioner and belt are only 5000 miles old though, so I would be surprised if it was that. Could be the belt itself I suppose!

SCP440
10th December 2017, 18:42
Fan Belts can make a noise for no apparent reason, I had a Ford in recently with a noisy belt, some water on it made it silent so I fitted a new one and silence was restored. No cracks or damage on the old one but maybe as they dry out with age that is enough? All the pulleys were silent and smooth running.

I know some manufacturers recommend that belts and pulleys are replaced at 60k so maybe this should be taken into consideration?

I did all my pulleys and fan belt on my 260 at 65k and the engine is noticeably less noisy than it was before they were replaced.

COLVERT
11th December 2017, 14:30
T16--Quote--Steering pump, how free is that to turn when the engine is off?

Will turn easily.---:icon_lol:

peelaaa
21st May 2018, 17:30
Finally got this sorted. It was the auxiliary and air con belt. Air con worse condition than the auxiliary.

75driver
21st May 2018, 20:15
Finally got this sorted. It was the auxiliary and air con belt. Air con worse condition than the auxiliary.

Thanks for the update.
I think I will do likewise, as I have a noise, as you say......not a rattle but like something in need of lubrication.
Noise rises and falls in pitch, in sync with revs.

Had a look on Saturday, and saw the front pulley mounting bracket bottom bolt had worked its way out about 1/2 inch.😱
Either that, or someone before me had forgotten to tighten it up.
A right little devil to get at, without removing the engine mount brackets.
Ended up removing wheel liner, and using a flexi head ratchet spanner, held by the fingertips, while the missus pushed the head of the spanner onto the bolt from above, using a long screwdriver.😬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk