PDA

View Full Version : Tourer rear centre seat belt mech jammed

Mangizmo
16th November 2017, 11:15
My central rear seat belt is jammed, I have unbolted it from under the seat so that I can lift the rear seat back up again, what is the solution to this ? how do I get to it as its built into the seat back Thanks

Greeners
16th November 2017, 11:54
its a right pain, make sure the seat is locked upright and it should release and come out, its just a case of trying to ever so gently and slowly pull it out.

Mangizmo
16th November 2017, 12:34
its a right pain, make sure the seat is locked upright and it should release and come out, its just a case of trying to ever so gently and slowly pull it out.

OK freed it thanks, what a pain in the a**e :duh:

Greeners
16th November 2017, 12:50
yep......:eek::eek::eek:

Andy_with_a_screwdriver
16th November 2017, 20:38
My brother's 75 failed the MOT for this reason, and a few others as well:}

Greeners
16th November 2017, 21:10
My brother's 75 failed the MOT for this reason, and a few others as well:}

You'll find a lot of tourers get their centre belts cut out to pass the MOT

Mangizmo
17th November 2017, 06:33
You'll find a lot of tourers get their centre belts cut out to pass the MOT

Is that legal ? if so I might consider doing the same :-)

aReallyNiceCar
23rd July 2018, 14:09

I would imagine that so long as it has a working centre belt, it doesn't really matter what kind of belt it is.?
Perhaps replacing the centre 'inertia-reel' belt with an adjustable 'static' belt, would be completely satisfactory for the MOT.??? :shrug: :getmecoat:

TeeCee
29th July 2018, 09:35
Mine went the other day and I spat bullets when I figured out the problem.

Wouldn't move with the seat up and no slack to "encourage" it. Plenty of slack with the seat down but then, of course, it won't move anyway.

Turned out that there's a little "button" in the belt and, if the last user let the belt snap back quickly, this can get stuck under the plastic trim where the belt enters the seat back. Solution is to shove as hard as possible on the top of the seat back where the belt enters to compress it and then wiggle the button out from under the trim. Problem solved.

I'm still trying to work out what the little button is for, apart from the obvious function of jamming the belt....

RobSun
29th July 2018, 11:16

No cars have failed the MOT where this has been done. It was something I considered when mine jammed just before the test so did some digging. Cars manufactured to be 5 seaters must have 5b seat belts working legally.

Of course that then depends on the tester and his interpretation so I asked one. He said it would be an absolute no brainer for a tester to let it go if he wanted to avoid any possible litigation should the worst happen.

aReallyNiceCar
31st July 2018, 23:34
I'm still trying to work out what the little button is for, apart from the obvious function of jamming the belt....

The little button is actually supposed to PREVENT the seat belt retracting too far, as that is a serious cause of the belt jamming.

In your case, it would appear that the button has caused not prevented the problem. ::(:

I'd suggest that you put a bigger button on the belt
or
look at the slot which the button's slipped past & see if you can close it up in some way, to stop it happening again.? :eek: :cry:

tomboy
20th October 2021, 13:34
Hi Robsun,

This post has been a real help to me today as that was an MoT failure otherwise!

Tomboy