PDA

View Full Version : Saloon Rear Window leak on both bottom corners

Ed3
17th November 2017, 19:44
1) On a Rover 75 Classic Saloon CDTi 2006 plate I recently acquired this water logged car. With boot carpets out and boot dry I can see water running down vertically from high up in two places that would at a first guess seem to be the both bottom corners of the rear window leaking.

These leaks are visible when it was just dew and frost melting as opposed rain.

What is usually the best solution for these more severe leaks around the rear window ? Is the fix expensive ?

2) At another time I used a hose pipe under the passenger n/s rear wheel arch and water flooded into the boot through the n/s boot vent. Is the fault me being daft enough to put a hose pipe towards a vent? Or is the vent leaking ?

3) The boot side carpets remain held by the one pin/scrivet. Do I just pull the pin/scrivet hard to totally remove the boot side carpets. I cannot get the pin/scrivet out at present

4) I have totally removed the back seat and foam section underneath. Any tips on getting the rear carpet out? I think both foot wells are very wet.

Just to cover other detail I have/am replacing both of the rear light seals.

Thanks

suzublu
17th November 2017, 19:52
It's a good job Rover never made submarines:duh::D The boot leaks are very well documented on this forum;) Rear window clips found by feeling in between the boot inner skin, under the window, often leak. Can be fixed by applying silicone to them, both above & below. Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure( stop sniggering) can also be applied under the rubber strip around the window.
The vents do leak also, so they can be sealed, & as you mention, rear light seals.:cool: Good luck:D

Greeners
17th November 2017, 21:16
Rear screen is bonded in so most likely to be the clips that hold the trim on, or the seam in the recess where the boot lid sits

Carpet is all one piece so you need to take the front seats and centre console out

T-Cut
17th November 2017, 22:16
Captn Tolley's Cure is a warm weather fixer that requires evaporation of water from the PVA emulsion. At this end of the year, I'd suggest levering up the rubber seal and applying a smidge of silicone between it and the glass all the way across the bottom and sides. Let the rubber relax naturally so it sqeegee's excess out the edge, but don't don't touch it. Leave it a couple of days to cure then go around the edge with a scalpel/blade so the excess bead comes away clean off the glass. If water can't soak under the rubber, it can't leak through the notorious clips. It fixed mine.

TC

Ed3
18th November 2017, 22:04
Thanks. Where are these clips for the rear window ?

The whole picture is changing all the time. It seems the rear window leaks from both bottom corners during frost or dew/light rain. So I will need to sort that.

But in windy heavier rain the n/s air vent lets very much water in and is probably the worst part of the four or more leaks. From reading forums that mean bumper off push vent in and re-seat it with sealant. And I may as well do both vents/sides.