PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper, grill and lights swop?

Becs512
20th November 2017, 13:45
I have recently purchased a great MG ZT saloon.
I also have kept my tourer (it wasn't the plan...lol) exact same colour code, just a year earlier and it has projector headlights fitted, not sure if they were standard or, fitted by the previous owner... I am sure he did tell me, but, at my age I can't remember yesterday, let alone what someone said to me a couple of years ago.:shrug::shrug:
My question is....and big help please : Would it be a big job for a garage to swop over the front ends (bumpers / grill) and wire in the projectors, along with 'plumbing in' the headlight washers ?
Thanks for any advice.:}:}

stevestrat
20th November 2017, 14:03
If they are both mk1s the bumper etc swap is a (relatively) easy DIY job. Headlight washers isn't straightforward if the recipient car hasn't had them fitted. It involves replacing the alarm horn and a T4 session. If you look under the cover of the passenger side plenum of the car without the washers you'll see it has an ordinary alarm horn, do the same with the donor car you'll see it has the BBUS (siren) type alarm sounder. That would have to be swapped to the recipient car along with a T4 session to tell the recipient car it now has headlight washers. For God's sake don't try fitting the BBUS sounder in the recipient car without the T4 alterations first or the siren will go off and because it has an internal battery it will not stop, even if it is removed from the car.

Becs512
21st November 2017, 13:16
Hi Steve, Many thanks.
So, if I have just someone change over the fronts and not worry about the headlamp washers, it will make it less complicated (no T4 needed).
If I take off the BBUS siren from the tourer I am guessing someone who has a T4 could plumb it all in at a later date....
Thanks again.

roverbarmy
21st November 2017, 14:03
For God's sake don't try fitting the BBUS sounder in the recipient car without the T4 alterations first or the siren will go off and because it has an internal battery it will not stop, even if it is removed from the car.
Sorry! Could you repeat that please. I couldn't hear what you were saying for this blooming horn going off! :getmecoat::D

stevestrat
21st November 2017, 15:41
Hi Steve, Many thanks.
So, if I have just someone change over the fronts and not worry about the headlamp washers, it will make it less complicated (no T4 needed).
If I take off the BBUS siren from the tourer I am guessing someone who has a T4 could plumb it all in at a later date....
Thanks again.Remember you'll need the headlight washer pump as well.

Sorry! Could you repeat that please. I couldn't hear what you were saying for this blooming horn going off! :getmecoat::DI managed to trigger one while working on it a while ago, 100+ decibels and you can't stop it . . . . http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/horror/freaked-out-smiley-emoticon.gif

dbt01
21st November 2017, 16:10
Remember you'll need the headlight washer pump as well
... and maybe a new bottle too, depending on the type you have; some did not have the headlamp washer pump hole. The pump is specifically for the headlamp washers on the BMW 5 series. Don't recall the year off hand, so best to ask someone with a R75 pump to read off its BMW number conveniently stamped on it! Second-hand ones can often be rotten inside. Get a new one or a good guarantee.

I managed to trigger one while working on it a while ago, 100+decibels and you can't stop it The one I set off died after 10 minutes in a bucket of water.

David

Rick-sta
21st November 2017, 16:28
I have recently purchased a great MG ZT saloon.
I also have kept my tourer (it wasn't the plan...lol) exact same colour code, just a year earlier and it has projector headlights fitted, not sure if they were standard or, fitted by the previous owner... I am sure he did tell me, but, at my age I can't remember yesterday, let alone what someone said to me a couple of years ago.:shrug::shrug:
My question is....and big help please : Would it be a big job for a garage to swop over the front ends (bumpers / grill) and wire in the projectors, along with 'plumbing in' the headlight washers ?
Thanks for any advice.:}:}

Hi Rebecca, where about are you based in Essex? If you're near me in thurrock, I can swap the lights, bumper and fit the headlamp washers for you. The t4 bit i'm not sure if I would be able to do, I have toaf which is an alternative to t4, it probably can be used to program in the bbus but would have to find out and get back to you.

Becs512
23rd November 2017, 10:59
Hi Rebecca, where about are you based in Essex? If you're near me in thurrock, I can swap the lights, bumper and fit the headlamp washers for you. The t4 bit i'm not sure if I would be able to do, I have toaf which is an alternative to t4, it probably can be used to program in the bbus but would have to find out and get back to you.

You are a star...I am just up the M11....
Will send you a PM.