PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox seeping

Beena wild
22nd November 2017, 08:50
My trusty 190 has just had her belts done and the mechanic showed me the underside on the ramp.

couple of issues - gearbox weeping oil
- motor oil leak - manifesting near oil cooler.

He says there is no problem with the drive shaft seal, -so question - is the gearbox sealed up in two parts by a silicone joint.? What's the cure if so?:shrug:

EastPete
22nd November 2017, 09:48
Where exactly is the gearbox oil seeping from, if indeed that is what it is ?

Fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing where the gearbox mates with the engine can be a of clutch slave cylinder leak. Is your clutch working OK (assuming your car is a manual) ?.

Pete

Beena wild
22nd November 2017, 11:33
Where exactly is the gearbox oil seeping from, if indeed that is what it is ?

Fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing where the gearbox mates with the engine can be a of clutch slave cylinder leak. Is your clutch working OK (assuming your car is a manual) ?.

Pete

Firstly , Clutch perfect as of the last 3 years' ownership.

I have known about this leak for some time - the driveway stain helping in that regard. So can't imagine there's enough clutch fluid to give this continuous drip.
Appears to be from the bellhousing alright - must be the joint. Will consult Haynes later but was hoping for some insight here on the anatomy of the gearbox.

roverbarmy
22nd November 2017, 11:43
If you can touch the drip, smell it. Gear oil smells like cat wee and clutch fluid smells completely different. Either way, it need sorting before you lose the clutch or the gears! :eek: You can check the clutch master cylinder just above the clutch pedal by looking in with a torch and mirror - getting a crick in the neck and back in the process! :}

EastPete
22nd November 2017, 11:47
Firstly , Clutch perfect as of the last 3 years' ownership.

I have known about this leak for some time - the driveway stain helping in that regard. So can't imagine there's enough clutch fluid to give this continuous drip.
Appears to be from the bellhousing alright - must be the joint. Will consult Haynes later but was hoping for some insight here on the anatomy of the gearbox.

The gearbox casing is in two halves - the front part, including the bellhousing, bolts to the rear at at a join that runs through the middle of the differential housing - there could be leak there. Have you checked your gearbox oil level ? (not that easy without a ramp, as you really need the car level to do this).

Pete

Beena wild
22nd November 2017, 12:34
The gearbox casing is in two halves - the front part, including the bellhousing, bolts to the rear at at a join that runs through the middle of the differential housing - there could be leak there. Have you checked your gearbox oil level ? (not that easy without a ramp, as you really need the car level to do this).

Pete

Will check levels at weekend. If the joint is leaking what's the solution?

EastPete
22nd November 2017, 12:58
Will check levels at weekend. If the joint is leaking what's the solution?

I've never seen one leak from this joint - it is usually the drive shaft seals or the oil seal behind the guide tube in the bellhousing that is the source of leaks. If it is the from the central seam joint of the gearbox, it is case of dismantling the box and re-sealing it - not really a DIY job, since Getrag boxes are not really designed for easy overhaul/repair.

Pete

Beena wild
22nd November 2017, 15:21
I've never seen one leak from this joint - it is usually the drive shaft seals or the oil seal behind the guide tube in the bellhousing that is the source of leaks. If it is the from the central seam joint of the gearbox, it is case of dismantling the box and re-sealing it - not really a DIY job, since Getrag boxes are not really designed for easy overhaul/repair.

Pete

Thanks for the info

Could be fun investigating........not! :getmecoat:

Mike Noc
22nd November 2017, 19:13
They are usually pretty reliable, so if you are going to the trouble of removing it from the car worth considering replacing it if it is the box joint leaking.

I've seen them cheaper than this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZTT-190-ZT-T-ROVER-75-2-5-V6-TOURER-ESTATE-5-SPEED-MANUAL-GEARBOX-GETRAG/142577999572?hash=item21324f9ed4:g:P0MAAOSwNJ5Zgzt G

Beena wild
25th November 2017, 18:00
Checked fluid level in gearbox. All good.

Does anyone remember a post on here with reference to deciding what fluids are what..,from smell or taste (I think) ta.

The Gas Man
26th November 2017, 16:58
Could it possibly be engine oil from the crankshaft seal behind the flywheel?

roverbarmy
26th November 2017, 20:01
Checked fluid level in gearbox. All good.

Does anyone remember a post on here with reference to deciding what fluids are what..,from smell or taste (I think) ta.
See post No 4 on the first page! Basically, gear oil smells like cat wee. If you place a white kitchen tissue under the drip, the colour may also help to identify what it is. :shrug: