PDA

View Full Version : Plenum drainage

Oldmanlogan
24th November 2017, 05:50
Hi all new to forum,have just checked my plenum drainage all 3 but none have got the rubber bungs in they all gone help!!!! Where can I buy these parts Rimmer's????

Lee T
24th November 2017, 05:56
I would suggest asking 1 of the forum traders. Some break cars so may have what you need.

Lord of Hog
24th November 2017, 08:43
Lack of bungs won't cause you anything other than aesthetic issues. If you can find replacements then great. Otherwise, if your drain tubes aren't present then you can replace them with a length of the appropriate gauge hosepipe, spread at the top and secured with some decent silicone adhesive. The open end then just needs a nice bit of mesh - Aldi gutter mesh is good - to allow water through and keep leaves out.

Oldmanlogan
24th November 2017, 09:24
Many thanks as there's nothing on eBay at the moment I will try that approach and fit something in with mesh as a lot of leaves around my house

stevestrat
24th November 2017, 09:28
Lack of bungs won't cause you anything other than aesthetic issues.Some, if not all, go through double skin areas, no drain tube allows the water to get between the skins.

HarryM1BYT
24th November 2017, 09:44
Lack of bungs won't cause you anything other than aesthetic issues. If you can find replacements then great. Otherwise, if your drain tubes aren't present then you can replace them with a length of the appropriate gauge hosepipe, spread at the top and secured with some decent silicone adhesive. The open end then just needs a nice bit of mesh - Aldi gutter mesh is good - to allow water through and keep leaves out.

The plenum is double skinned and the drains need to properly fit to ensure water safely drains past the second skin, which I don't think could be achieved with ordinary hose pipe.

There is also the problem of how do you manage to silicone seal them deep at the bottom of the plenum, without the sealant forming a deep ridge which would retain water. The proper drain tubes fit into a recess as I remember, which is slightly below the plenum level.

Mickyboy
25th November 2017, 09:13

I wouldnt suggest this as water would enter the double skinned area, and problems will occur, I sell quite a few plenum tubes, I’m honestly surprised how many get removed
Mick

roverbarmy
25th November 2017, 10:04
Plenum drain tube circumcision is the best option in my opinion (without getting too religious!) :getmecoat:

Oldmanlogan
25th November 2017, 18:03
Yes as a newbie thought I should investigate the plenum drainage eventhough a one owner car and garaged I was a bit surprised to find no rubber plenum drainage tubes fitted the one on passenger side I can see it inside the double skin cavity so perhaps my elderly previous owner had attempted to clean plenum and push them out I'm not sure

Stickman
26th November 2017, 00:34
Yes as a newbie thought I should investigate the plenum drainage eventhough a one owner car and garaged I was a bit surprised to find no rubber plenum drainage tubes fitted the one on passenger side I can see it inside the double skin cavity so perhaps my elderly previous owner had attempted to clean plenum and push them out I'm not sure

Sounds indeed likely a previous guardian has pushed them through
You should be able to retrieve them
If you want a jules plenum guard I have one for sale buddy
Regards
Chris

HarryM1BYT
26th November 2017, 04:54

Possibly your elderly owner tried to make sure they were clear, with too wide a diameter implement and pushed it partially out - the top lip will not give much resistance. I would guess grab it from below and tug it all the way out, then find a similar too wide object to help reinsert it from the top again. A drop of Fairy liquid on the rubber might make it easier.

Lord of Hog
27th November 2017, 06:45
I wouldnt suggest this as water would enter the double skinned area, and problems will occur, I sell quite a few plenum tubes, I’m honestly surprised how many get removed
Mick

It doesn't if you do it properly. Or maybe I just got lucky?

grivas
27th November 2017, 13:02
Hi all new to forum,have just checked my plenum drainage all 3 but none have got the rubber bungs in they all gone help!!!! Where can I buy these parts Rimmer's????

My concern would be the missing tubing in the areas where there is double ski n may well have caused water to get in causing possible long term damage to those area, replace with genuine rubber hoses as soon as, and make sure they are fitted correctly.