PDA

View Full Version : How to retrofit an auto-dimming rear view mirror?

Proud owner
24th November 2017, 15:49
I've recently bought an auto-dimming rear view mirror to replace the standard one on my 2002 1.8 Connoisseur as I'm fed up with being blinded at night by the nice people glued to my back bumper.

Can anyone tell me if it is quite a simple job to do for a complete electrical novice? It came with wiring attached to it. Is there wiring already for it to connect to?

A step by step guide with photos attached would be a great help. Once its installed will it work automatically or does it need to be programmed by a T4 session?

The only electrical thing I've ever done was change my headlights to xenons but that was very straightforward as it was literally 'plug and play.'

Greeners
24th November 2017, 15:53
very easy to fit, a switched +ve, a -ve and a feed from the reversing lights to de activate it when you reverse

The is a how to somewhere, if not there is a very long thread on the subject

Greeners
24th November 2017, 15:56
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63042&highlight=mirror

jackatesme
24th November 2017, 16:07
I recently done this, was fortunate to also get complete loom off e-bay that replaced existing loom. From A pillar. This had all plugs on it,dimming mirror,front int light rear int light and high level brake light. To feed loom through head lining i used a plastic rod taped loom to it and gently pushed through to rear light.

macafee2
24th November 2017, 17:53
I may go to the scrap yard tomorrow. I seem to recall there was one there but it may also have rain sensing wipers. if I go do you want me to get it and how much do you want me to pay for it?

macafee2

macafee2
24th November 2017, 17:54
just adding this so I can get email notification

macafee2
24th November 2017, 17:57
very easy to fit, a switched +ve, a -ve and a feed from the reversing lights to de activate it when you reverse

The is a how to somewhere, if not there is a very long thread on the subject

I think you need permanent live and neutral when engine on and switched live from reversing but then you can leave off the live from reversing lights
the switched live deactivates the self dimming. apologies if I'm wrong
if you can get a harness all the better but if you run wires run extra wires for the future such as for puddle lights

macafee2

Ched
24th November 2017, 20:28
Check what colour plug you have if you get another loom as the earlier cars had a black plug at the pillar, later ones had a white plug.

Proud owner
24th November 2017, 22:52
Thanks for your replies everybody, but I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.

As I said, I'm a complete novice and I do need specific answers to my questions with as much detail as possible. I've searched the forum as suggested but can't find the answers, those threads that contain information are either for someone who knows what they're doing or say different things.

suffolk boy
25th November 2017, 17:20
as if and when you get the mirror all you need for it to work is two wires live and earth.the earth wire will be black.the live colour will depend on which mirror you get as they changed the colours later in production for the rest of the wires.the reverse feed is not needed and only works in the dark anyway.