PDA

View Full Version : Bulb Failure Light on dash

pomegranitelinz
25th November 2017, 11:17
Yesterday the light came on. This morning checked all front lights, side, main, high beam, fog, indicators ofront and side and they all are working. The same at the rear removed the holder and all lights lit up checked brake and reverse. Was driving on the M6 on Wednesday in that heavy rainstorm. Any ideas

macafee2
25th November 2017, 11:39
if all bulbs checked and found working is the warning light still on?
It can come on due to a poor connection that then clears its self

macafee2

pomegranitelinz
25th November 2017, 11:41
Yes light is still on forgot to mention that

SCP440
25th November 2017, 11:41
Probably some corrosion on a bulb causing the resistance to go up so causing the light to come on. Some makes of cars are bad at this and even different makes of bulbs can cause it.

I would suggest you pull the bulbs and run some fine emery cloth over them on any points that look corroded.

TeeCee
25th November 2017, 12:05
Also look for one of the conventional filament bulbs having a shiny, black appearance.

It's on its last legs and this can sometimes trigger the failure detection even though the bulb still lights. I've seen this happen on a few cars and vans.

Fusilier
25th November 2017, 12:10
Yesterday the light came on. This morning checked all front lights, side, main, high beam, fog, indicators ofront and side and they all are working. The same at the rear removed the holder and all lights lit up checked brake and reverse. Was driving on the M6 on Wednesday in that heavy rainstorm. Any ideas

Also check your number plate lights, as they will trigger a bulb failure, and is your stop/tail ok, if that goes, then your brake light will half illuminate the bulb

Stu

pomegranitelinz
25th November 2017, 12:39
Thanks will check that both light and also check number plate is working

7T5
25th November 2017, 12:46
This used to happen on mine, the bulb was working too. Turned out to be the metal teeth if you can call them that on the tail light cluster had corroded due to a historic boot leak. I cleaned them up and the plug bit with fine wet and dry touch wood has been fine since.

jonc3725
25th November 2017, 14:37
Check your rear lights again. On these cars if the rear light fails it moves to the top bulb to give you rear illumination. So when you look you see 2 x rear lights but the one which has failed will have moved up. Good safety feature but it does catch people out:D

pomegranitelinz
25th November 2017, 16:01
Have just come in after checking lights in full darkness and the number plate lamps are both out.

Fusilier
25th November 2017, 16:04
Have just come in after checking lights in full darkness and the number plate lamps are both out.

Try cleaning the contact and also look at getting some new bulbs, and if that fails then maybe a new circuit board from Mat

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/r75-mg-zt-rear-numberplate-lamp-assembly-xfc000220mmm

Stu

pomegranitelinz
25th November 2017, 16:27
Try cleaning the contact and also look at getting some new bulbs, and if that fails then maybe a new circuit board from Mat

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/r75-mg-zt-rear-numberplate-lamp-assembly-xfc000220mmm

Stu
Tried the link and it seems to fit my needs. Mat seems to do different packages not sure how to proceed i.e. Purchase just the bulbs or complete assembly any thoughts