PDA

View Full Version : Fbh

Number 6
26th November 2017, 13:32
Now that the cold weather has come it would appear that the FBH is not working,,I do have an over ride switch which would normaly turn it on from out side the car..This morning however when I switched it on the FBH ceased to function..

So where do I start looking...please..

trikey
26th November 2017, 13:45
Now that the cold weather has come it would appear that the FBH is not working,,I do have an over ride switch which would normaly turn it on from out side the car..This morning however when I switched it on the FBH ceased to function..

So where do I start looking...please..

Firstly, do a reset, pull the fuse for five mins and see if that resurrects it.

Number 6
26th November 2017, 15:30
Firstly, do a reset, pull the fuse for five mins and see if that resurrects it.

Thanks Trikey,,,not sure which fuse as I dont have a manual (Hand Book)..Which one is it please??

GordyB
26th November 2017, 17:24
Under bonnet fuse 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number 6
26th November 2017, 19:20
Under bonnet fuse 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK thanks for that.....I pulled the fuse left it for ten minutes put it back and it still does not work:shrug:And this is using the over-ride switch....

Been Ok all summer as I periodicaly check it and now when I need it it's Kaput...

trebor
26th November 2017, 19:50
OK thanks for that.....I pulled the fuse left it for ten minutes put it back and it still does not work:shrug:And this is using the over-ride switch....

Been Ok all summer as I periodicaly check it and now when I need it it's Kaput...

Did you check the fuse was ok or just pull it and put straight back ? Worth checking the wiring to your over ride switch John just in case as the FBH would normally do something when you fire it up even if it then shuts down early.

Try starting the car when 5 degrees or below and listen to see if you get anything using as a supplementary heater without the overide switch

Number 6
26th November 2017, 20:11
Did you check the fuse was ok or just pull it and put straight back ? Worth checking the wiring to your over ride switch John just in case as the FBH would normally do something when you fire it up even if it then shuts down early.

Try starting the car when 5 degrees or below and listen to see if you get anything using as a supplementary heater without the overide switch

Hello Robert,,

Will have a go in the morning if it is cold enough,,So if it is below -5 then it should do something? even if it shuts down after a few seonds??

I will Take off the switch and see what happens ,I will also check out the over ride switch incase that is nacked..
Will let you know..

GeoffWW
26th November 2017, 21:08
Hello Number 6,

Are you sure the battery in your 5 degree override fob is ok and not in need of renewing? I found this was my problem of not starting on override last week.

trebor
26th November 2017, 21:24
John it should come on at plus 5 or below not minus 5 when you start the engine

Number 6
26th November 2017, 21:34
Hello Number 6,

Are you sure the battery in your 5 degree override fob is ok and not in need of renewing? I found this was my problem of not starting on override last week.

Hi,I dont have an over ride fob,just a manual switch that starts the FBH:}

Number 6
26th November 2017, 21:35
John it should come on at plus 5 or below not minus 5 when you start the engine

Ok ,Will check in the morning,looks like it is going to be a cold one;)

Dave-M
27th November 2017, 19:52
Same thing happened to mine a few weeks back. Had been working fine last year, but now completely dead - didn't even try to fire up.

I'd already removed the sealant from the circuit board - see https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=53896

Decided to take a quick look at the board to see if there was anything obvious and the 4.7 resistor (the one that's usually hidden under the sealant) had a kind of 'furry' coating. Cleaned it up with a little electrical contact cleaner and a cotton bud and it's been working fine since then.

Might be worth a look if nothing else cures it.

Number 6
27th November 2017, 20:49
Same thing happened to mine a few weeks back. Had been working fine last year, but now completely dead - didn't even try to fire up.

I'd already removed the sealant from the circuit board - see https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=53896

Decided to take a quick look at the board to see if there was anything obvious and the 4.7 resistor (the one that's usually hidden under the sealant) had a kind of 'furry' coating. Cleaned it up with a little electrical contact cleaner and a cotton bud and it's been working fine since then.

Might be worth a look if nothing else cures it.

OK ,thanks for that,will need to tackle it asap as it aint getting no warmer...If I cant see any thing then I think it is a postal job to French Mike..;)

Can this be done with the FBH in situ ?or do you have to remove it ??

trebor
27th November 2017, 21:29
Have you done the checks John before you remove the PCB?
If you need to remove it then no need to remove the FBH just remove the four screws from the square plastic trim top right of FBH as, you look at it then remove the plastic trim to the left of the one you have removed the screws from by pushing forward towards front of car then off so you can remove the plugs and finally remove the torx screw holding the temperature sender on the PCB and it can be removed

Ed3
28th November 2017, 01:19
I find this Youtube on how to run a fuel burning heater on a canal barge explains things well. It suggest that cutting the power makes things worse.

Using a Webasto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKMIibdAp4k

Number 6
28th November 2017, 11:44
Have you done the checks John before you remove the PCB?
If you need to remove it then no need to remove the FBH just remove the four screws from the square plastic trim top right of FBH as, you look at it then remove the plastic trim to the left of the one you have removed the screws from by pushing forward towards front of car then off so you can remove the plugs and finally remove the torx screw holding the temperature sender on the PCB and it can be removed

Hi Trebor,,,what checks would they be ?....before I start taking it apart ??

trebor
28th November 2017, 18:22
What I said in an earlier post start the car when the temp is 5 degrees plus or below and see if it starts with the engine as a supplementary heater and do you check the remote fob wiring just in case

Number 6
28th November 2017, 19:27
What I said in an earlier post start the car when the temp is 5 degrees plus or below and see if it starts with the engine as a supplementary heater and do you check the remote fob wiring just in case

An update,
I tried the FBH but the temp has not dropped low enough to switch it on,So a descided to have a look and see what I could find.

First off I checked the overide switch to make sure that it was OK,Checked out fine.

Next thing was to check the two plug in sockets which appeared OK BUT when I plugged the on nearest the battery box the FBH came alive for about 20/30 seconds and then shut off,Did the same again with the same result.

I then tried the over ride switch and the FBH started up and continued to run as normal and warmed the engine up:shrug:.

So exactly what I have done I dont have a Scooby but it all seems to be working at the moment.:}

Thanks all for the input.:bowdown: