PDA

View Full Version : Suspension and Lights

Karsten
5th February 2007, 15:00
Hi,
I own a pre-facelift V-reg 2.5V6 75 and I like the car very much, but after trying out how fast she goes yesterday night, I stopped at 110ish mph because the car felt unusual light on the front end. Also even on high beam I wasn't too impressed with the lights.

Any good ways to deal with these issues...?

GreyGhost
5th February 2007, 15:23
Should be good for 130mph ish flat out and should remain solid. Check tyre pressures front and rear. Get shock absorbers checked. Don't use the public road.
You can uprate the lights by installing something like Phillips Vision plus bulbs, they will allegedely be 50% brighter than the standard bulbs.

yp53
5th February 2007, 15:48
1. Make sure the lenses are clean - this time of year they do get dirty!
2. Upgrade the bulbs as suggested (Osram Silverstars are very good also) but don't expect them to last as long as the std bulbs.
3. Upgrade to xenons - either the pukka MGR xenon headlight units (excellent - they go for £200-£300 a pair on ebay) or the aftermarket HID kits which include bulbs and ballast units for £100+.

I always found that the Rover 75 headlights were pretty good (when clean!) but the xenon units are excellent and thoroughly recommended - they look cool too (not that I worry about such things, man)

Karsten
5th February 2007, 21:34
Tyre pressure is/was okay, maybe 1/10th too high.
Lenses were clean, car was just out of the car wash.

Probably it's me ... after spending time in Ireland (where I only had a rented car and where you can't speed), maybe I am overly sensitive...?

How much work is it to equip the car with Xenons? I understand that there are two options: a) get new headlights and b) reblace just the bulbs with Xenons. b seems to be cheaper, but it looks like it is a bit crammed under the bonnet - the lights need to be changed through the frond wings :confused: :confused: :confused:

Kandyman
5th February 2007, 23:13
You need to take the front of the car off to change the headlights, its not as hard as it looks.We have a how to for you to read about taking the bumper off here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=204

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/104594d5a459b4e.jpg

JohnDotCom
5th February 2007, 23:40
If you currently have the Projector Lamps,(I have in my facelift) is it a straight bulb swap for Xenon's or am I missing something?

pshuttle
6th February 2007, 08:41
My Xenons required a very small amount of modification to fit into the projector headlights (to do with how they screw lock-in).

It did not take me long however and the result is great!

Pete

Karsten
6th February 2007, 09:35
If you currently have the Projector Lamps,(I have in my facelift) is it a straight bulb swap for Xenon's or am I missing something?

No, I said "pre-facelift", so I have the damn ol' NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- standard halogen lamps.
No projectors, no "angel eyes"...

So I need to buy me two complete units (left & right), then. What's the damage...?

tigerchubs
6th February 2007, 14:53
Hi,
I own a pre-facelift V-reg 2.5V6 75 and I like the car very much, but after trying out how fast she goes yesterday night, I stopped at 110ish mph because the car felt unusual light on the front end. Also even on high beam I wasn't too impressed with the lights.

Any good ways to deal with these issues...?

On the steering issue, if tyre pressures are correct I would think the next most likely thing would be a steering alignment problem. The settings alter with the downforce applied to the vehicle while travelling at higher speeds.