PDA

View Full Version : Engine transplant on a 52 plate 75

victorgte
13th January 2018, 11:54
Time has come to make a major decision. The 1.8T has been ill lately and now I must decide if I spend a lot of money or break it.
Best if I list the time line of events and what I’ve been offered.
Current mileage is 126k. Car is very good all over and has just had new rear brake discs and pads as well as new shocks.
At 99k it had the dreaded HGF. £600.
At 104k the turbo was replaced. £395.
At 120k it had valves and hydraulic lifters done so the head came off again although there was no evidence of HGF. £600.
During all of this the carrier for the long driveshaft came away from the block. This has now been repaired 3 times and is the cause of the current woes. To cut a long story etc, the repair is allowing coolant and oil to escape as the channels have been breached and it leaks both in that area.
The latest repair seems to have now blocked the channels, the coolant system is pressurised and I fear it will let go somewhere pretty soon.
Ironically the car drives really well especially after the valves and lifters were done.
Now the dilemma. I can collect a working 1.8T engine for £400. Then there is paying for the transplant. Then it’s logical to fit a new clutch whilst it’s all apart. The cost is now spiralling upwards.
I would say the damage to the block with elongated holes and breached channels has rendered the engine as scrap despite the HG being fine, newish turbo and the fact it still pulls well.
Transplant is beyond my skill. Has anyone had this job done?

gary t
13th January 2018, 14:03
head gasket repair ? £600 was the gasket gold plated ? :shrug:. if who cant do the work yourself i would think your better off putting the money towards a another car. just my thoughts. around a grand would get you nice example. and save or sell the head not a hard job to do.

charlie 22
13th January 2018, 17:59
head gasket repair ? £600 was the gasket gold plated ? :shrug:. if who cant do the work yourself i would think your better off putting the money towards a another car. just my thoughts. around a grand would get you nice example. and save or sell the head not a hard job to do.As it us your pride and joy and it comes across in your post, I would go for an engine swap. See if you can find an MG 6 engine then all of your worries will be over.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

COLVERT
13th January 2018, 18:17
If the rest of the car is in good shape and you really like it then maybe the transplant is the best way to go.

As for the clutch, only replace the driven plate and slave cylinder.
Easy to do as the box has to be separated from the engine anyway.

This would then see you through quite a few good motoring years in a car you like to drive.---:D:D

If you buy another car there could be many hidden problems about to pounce.---( Better the devil you know.---;) )

mbonwick
13th January 2018, 20:12
Most of the cost in these jobs is in the labour, so if you get water pump, belts, clutch etc etc done before the transplant goes in it'll cost much less.

The K-series is generally quite straightforward so I'd go for the swap.

trikey
13th January 2018, 20:19
Swap the engines, dropping a K series in isn't a bad job at all.

victorgte
15th January 2018, 08:35
I appreciate the opinions however I am reliant on labour rates hence the higher costs. When the Head came off it also had the Cam belt and water pump done too as it’s good practice to renew when apart.
My gut feeling is to take it off the road at the end of January and plan a transplant rather than rush into a big bill. I’m lucky enough to have space. If it wasn’t for the drive shaft carrier, the engine would be fine. I’m highly reluctant to scrap a car that has nearly 5 years of care and improvements put into it. We don’t expect to get our money back. It’s about having a smart Gentleman’s carriage to waft around in, hence why my wife uses the V6. :D

rustymotor
15th January 2018, 09:29
Just 10ps worth: As you spent quite a bit already then the engine transplant sounds like a good option plus, you could swap over some of the new bits like cam belt and water pump while the donor engine is out of the car.

victorgte
28th January 2018, 13:45
I’ve now decided to take the car off the road until such time I can justify the cost involved.
SORN in a few days time and transfer the insurance to my latest purchase.
Pity really as I took it for a run today and it goes very well indeed. My focus is always on the oil and coolant levels as the leaks obviously remain.

macafee2
28th January 2018, 16:25
where ever you get your engine from make sure they are reputable.
I cant think of the name maybe someone else can but there is a firm from up north that travel and are apparently well clued up on rovers and will travel to you. they can supply and replace engines, not sure if they do 75's
pm me if the name does not get mentioned and i'll spend time looking for them

macafee2