PDA

View Full Version : Snowballing Electrical Hassle

jacques schiddt
13th January 2018, 14:07
Hi all,

I noticed my number plate lights were only working when I opened the boot and not when I closed it. So, I opened the boot and fiddled with the bit of wiring loom that connects the boot lid to the car and the number plate lights began to go on/off/on/off etc.

Then...the boot lock actuator started making noises like I was firing the boot lock from the driver's seat.

So, I stripped some of the protective NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off the wires, to look for a break but I haven't found a break but now...neither the number plate lights, nor the boot actuator, works! Oh!, and the boot lock barrel is made of chocolate so naturally, that doesn't work either.

I am now afraid to close the boot, for fear of never being able to open it again.

Any help will be very gratefully received.

I am learning to despise this vehicle.

J.S.

suzublu
13th January 2018, 14:22
Boot noise will be machine gunning, simply turn the rubber stops out a quarter turn. Numberplate bulbs are a common fault, usually water in the pcb. This can be bypassed by using the method in the "How To" section, or replaced.:cool: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=159120

macafee2
13th January 2018, 14:23
Did you only do a visual inspection? The wires could have broken inside their insulation.
working on the assumption it is a broken wire where the boot opens I suggest using a test meter and a couple of pins. push the pins into the insulation so they come into contact with the wire. do this well inside the body and well inside the boot to try and make sure your in areas where the wiring does not move. then with a test meter test between the pins for continuity. try moving the harness where you think a break may be. To help I'd get the colour code for number plate lights and actuator and work on these first

macafee2

jacques schiddt
13th January 2018, 14:48
Thanks folks!

I have stripped some on the foamy insulation off the wire and lo and behold, most of the wires are severed! Might have been done whilst packing the boot to go camping in the summer. There are three broken black wires...I assume these are earth wires and I can reconnect them to any other broken black wires. I hope I'm right...!

If it were easy to upload a photo, I would!

J.S.

macafee2
13th January 2018, 17:02
how difficult would it be to change the wiring harness?

macafee2

jacques schiddt
13th January 2018, 17:09
I don't know and I have no intention of ever finding out!

Hehe.

J.S.

how difficult would it be to change the wiring harness?

macafee2

COLVERT
13th January 2018, 17:50
Thanks folks!

I have stripped some on the foamy insulation off the wire and lo and behold, most of the wires are severed! Might have been done whilst packing the boot to go camping in the summer. There are three broken black wires...I assume these are earth wires and I can reconnect them to any other broken black wires. I hope I'm right...!

If it were easy to upload a photo, I would!

J.S.

Unfortunately you can only up-load a photo if your name is in RED.---------------:eek: