PDA

View Full Version : How to remove locking wheel nut

pete 75
13th January 2018, 16:02
Hi All,unfortunately i am unable to remove a locking wheel bolt on my Rover 75 tourer diesel,the type i have is the one where the locking is in the end of the nut not the splined type.It has got badly mauled i imagine by the tyre fitter using the dreaded air-gun as i have not had the wheels off since the tyres were replaced.Any ideas how i can remove i do not want to damage the alloy wheels.Thanks Pete.

jordimussol
13th January 2018, 16:19
There are some of these on the market:

https://imgredirect.milanuncios.com/fg/2360/71/236071069_1.jpg?VersionId=EDCAEIohF_OXyCOOXkBfJYdH NsHGAQ1E

What they do is they grip harder as you turn to loosen the nut until the grip is harder on the head than it is on the screw part and it gives up.

Sold on most hardware stores or if you can get to any competent tyre fitter they should have some.

pete 75
13th January 2018, 16:40
Bought a set today they do not work unfortunately there is not enough room to fit them,also the locking wheel bolts have a rotating ring to stop people using that type of remover,but thanks anyway.

Dansrockin
13th January 2018, 17:58
I had the same issue with the mcgard type lockers on my old 75. Ended up taking them to a tyre place, he had to break off the rotating rings with a chisel, and then use an Irwin type socket to take the bolt out.

COLVERT
13th January 2018, 18:07
Sometimes those locking wheel bolts that have been mauled during fitting WILL undo because the un-doing bit of the bolt wasn't mauled.

You need to get that guy with the air gun to undo the bolt at the same time as applying a LOT of pressure against the nut.

Often the bolt will undo. Did this recently on my wife's car as my helpful son ruined the doing up side of the bolt.---:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

LotusLC
13th January 2018, 18:12
The only way i could remove one , and this was after a bloke with all the proper tools, who had only ever failed once before (now twice) was to weld a nut onto it and it eventually came off. Did mess the paint finish a bit tho, but at least it was off and thrown as far as i could sling it :devil:

pete 75
13th January 2018, 18:33
Unfortunately it is the undoing side that is damaged,but i will go to the tyre supplier and see if the air gun method will work,he owes me a big favour as the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- fitted the wrong size tyre and had to change them and i expect this is when he damaged the bolt as he was hurrying before his boss came back.

COLVERT
13th January 2018, 18:41
After getting the damaged bolt removed from my wife's car I took off the other three and binned them.---:eek:

Nearly every car on the market now seems to have alloy wheels and the tea-leaves have lost interest in them. Get them as cheap as chips down the breakers nowadays.-;)

topman
13th January 2018, 18:46
Only way I know and that works is to weld a nut on and get it off that way.

Always wise after the event, all the locking wheel nuts are now in the bin.

p2roverman
15th January 2018, 14:39
Call one of the guys who advertise this service. Cost about £30, they will come out to you. Cheaper than buying special tools which might still not work.

Arctic
16th January 2018, 01:56
Grind a V in the end of the bolt, and or cut through the slip ring on the bolt, use a small grinding wheel in a dremel.

Once you have a v wedge on the end of the bolt use a chisel to tap the bolt round, if you do it careful you should not damage the wheel.

Photo's below I had to do each one because the removal socket was missing so had no choice, I wanted them off so I could have the wheels refurbished, try it but go slow and take care once you have them off get rid.

Wheels before refurbish
https://i.imgur.com/Qalz0zTm.jpg1

After refurbish
https://i.imgur.com/bhEUUMFm.jpg2

Synchromesh
16th January 2018, 11:59
One of the national tyre companies over tightened my wheels. I took the car back. hey tried a breaker bar but they were too tight for this so they used the air tool. The locking bolt heads shattered. They bought a special tool. It had soft metal inserts that fitted into a reuseable punch. The tool was placed over the locking bolt head then they hit it with a big hammer. The insert moulded to the shape of the bolt head. Then they turned the punch with the air tool.

Randyjim
16th January 2018, 12:21
Swift Fit just off Cole Avenue helped me out when I mullered the same type of locking nut on my car. They have the kit that Syncromesh mentioned for making a temporary tool for dealing with damaged nuts.

Perhaps you could try them: http://swiftfit.uk.com/find-us/

pete 75
16th January 2018, 13:20
Thanks everybody for the helpful advice,i am borrowing the mig welder from work tonight,i have got the largest hexagon nut that will fit on top of the locking wheel nut bearing in mind the alloy wheels I have fitted the end of the locking nut sits below the surface of the wheel,i have drilled the centre of the nut out to 13mm hopefully that will allow me enough room to weld,fingers crossed I will let you no how it goes.

freddie
16th January 2018, 16:01
Just a question when did they change from nuts,
because mine has bolts.

roverbarmy
16th January 2018, 16:36
Just a question when did they change from nuts,
because mine has bolts.
Mine too Freddie (2005). My first job was to remove the lockers and throw them away.;) Luckily, they came off OK.