PDA

View Full Version : CDTi Intake modification

pugcrew
14th January 2018, 20:05
As I will shortly be removing my front bumper I have read about other jobs to do at the same time.

I understand that there is a mod to the air intake that can be done. I think I want to go for the option to just modify the existing intake but can't really understand what this involves.

Can anyone explain this please?

marinabrian
14th January 2018, 20:23
As I will shortly be removing my front bumper I have read about other jobs to do at the same time.

I understand that there is a mod to the air intake that can be done. I think I want to go for the option to just modify the existing intake but can't really understand what this involves.

Yes I can explain ;)

This modification, does not increase airflow, and serves two purposes.

1. It effectively bypasses the water shedder which is mounted underneath the slam panel, which leads to premature MAF sensor failure.

2. This is a modification championed by a person with a vested interest in selling MAF sensors.

In other words, don't do it ;)

Brian :D

grivas
14th January 2018, 20:24

Hey there, with regards to the air intake, I would suggest that you leave it exactly as it is, modifying it serves no purpose in a standard tuned car, if your vehicle is a diesel variant, the most important aspect of the air trunking is that there is a water spray deflector fitted in front of it to prevent water spray from being sucked in wetting the air filter and contaminating the MAF sensor...the deflector was not standard fit on early cars and was subject to a Rover recall, so look through the front grill at about 12 o'clock for a piece of metal two inches wide and six long, if not there get one fitted asap.

pugcrew
14th January 2018, 21:32
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

My car is a 2003 so not sure whether that counts as an early car or not but I'll check for the water shredder.

Arctic
15th January 2018, 00:22
I must have replaced at least 5 of these so called air duct modification in the last 30 months, I have a few why I don't know but I am sure that one day the cut off part will come to good use for something.

As stated above leave the air duct as it is, also you will note it as a little captive pot with an hole in it to catch water, which then drips down into the engine bay.

slovcan
15th January 2018, 01:11
Is there a possibility of the inlet collapsing on itself at WOT? I saw somewhere the suggestion of putting a bolt/washer/nut affair down through the middle of the inlet to prevent this from happening. I can't see a downside to this. What do you think?

Cheers,
Glenn

Robson Rover Repair
15th January 2018, 01:40
I must admit, as my remap is mafless ive no concern about my maf, but i did replace the paper filter with a oil base pipercross air filter (again not ideal with a maf).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Colin/Rover%2075%20Tourer/20130526_204723_zpsc3408cf8.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Colin/media/Rover%2075%20Tourer/20130526_204723_zpsc3408cf8.jpg.html)

100k miles later over 6/7 years and not a problem but I can see how it would concern people and for none mafless owners damage them long term.