PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing replacement cost.

hinged_bap
16th January 2018, 11:30
Oh dear.

My 75 (now on a shade under 188k ) has developed low speed ABS judder. 'Hoping' it was the rear reluctor rings, I changed the rear hubs as the rear discs and pads needed replacing anyway. The backplates didn't seem that bad but I tapped down the bit that is the same diameter as the reluctor ring as a precaution ( as they'd rusted slightly from behind and raised the edge ) - I didn't want the backplate rubbing on the new rings. Went for a test and the judder is still there. Presumably, it is one of the front reluctor rings, thinking it'd be a simple(ish) job of changing the CV joint, I noticed none of the images of the 75 CV joint had a reluctor ring attached. Delving in a bit more, I learn
they are on the bearing itself and to change them, I am confronted with this very informative guide by eastpete: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=271937

I guess my question is, does anyone know what a garage would charge to do this. It looks a horrendous job.

TIA

EastPete
16th January 2018, 12:23
Are you sure it is ABS judder ? - does the ABS light flicker when the judder occurs ? If not, it could be warped front discs, so a disc/pad change may sort the issue .

If it is ABS-related, a T4 session may tell you if one of the sensors is at fault- you could then just replace that sensor.

I guess a garage would allow 2-3 hours for a front bearing change, so it would cost 100-150 pounds in labour plus parts.

Pete

hinged_bap
16th January 2018, 12:29
Hi Eastpete

No sign of the ABS light coming on at all. The judder is intermittent and i guesstimate can occasionally kick in between 5 and 15 mph. All front discs/pads are nigh on brand new and the rears are ( all unipart ). The speedo and cruise control work fine. Braking from high speed is as it should be, but get below that speed threshold and the judder CAN happen.

EastPete
16th January 2018, 12:44
Hi Eastpete

No sign of the ABS light coming on at all. The judder is intermittent and i guesstimate can occasionally kick in between 5 and 15 mph. All front discs/pads are nigh on brand new and the rears are ( all unipart ). The speedo and cruise control work fine. Braking from high speed is as it should be, but get below that speed threshold and the judder CAN happen.

I think the next steps would be to get a T4 check (I think Chris in Portsmouth offers this), and jack up the front wheels and spin them listening for signs of a worn bearing (feeling of roughness or rumbling).

Pete

hinged_bap
16th January 2018, 12:51
ok, tyvm pete, hopefully i can get the wheels up tomorrow and give em a spin. I've visited Chris before - top man.

macafee2
16th January 2018, 12:58
if you want to have a go at changing the front wheel bearing I'll give you a hand.
Could not help until February. I have most tools but no press or bearing puller but think I know a garage that can help with the press.
If you don't have the tools can be done at my place over a few days if needed. I've never done the job and am only DIY but had had some of the bolts in Eastpetes How To apart on my car

macafee2

hinged_bap
16th January 2018, 14:29
tyvm for your kind offer macafee2, I'm gonna have a think about what to do about this. The MOT isn't due until early april so I've a few weeks yet. I might go down the s/h hub route, ( and get them prepped beforehand - or possibly even use them as is ), I know nothings seized on the front struts because I did the springs and strut bearings a couple of years back. So access to a press would come in well handy. Need to see if existing bearings rumble first ( i don't think they do ) and then maybe t4 to see if its a duff sensor,

Stickman
16th January 2018, 17:55
Why not go see Chris at fareham buddy
He’s one of our trusted traders
Regards
Chris