PDA

View Full Version : Help Brake master cylinder

Poacher
18th January 2018, 12:25
Please can anyone help me, my brakes have failed on my 75 Tourer and it could be the master cylinder, I have tried Rimmers and they say it is no longer available. Anyone any idea where I could get one please.

Mike Noc
18th January 2018, 13:08
They are usually pretty reliable so why not PM Mickyboy and get a used one?

roverbarmy
18th January 2018, 13:14
Please can anyone help me, my brakes have failed on my 75 Tourer and it could be the master cylinder, I have tried Rimmers and they say it is no longer available. Anyone any idea where I could get one please.
"could be"? It's usually leaking pipes or calipers. What are the symptoms? :shrug: Have you fluid loss, soft pedal, no pedal pressure?

Poacher
18th January 2018, 13:19
"could be"? It's usually leaking pipes or calipers. What are the symptoms? :shrug: Have you fluid loss, soft pedal, no pedal pressure?

The pedal pressure went and no brakes (lucky I was only a street away from home) got it home the checked the brake fluid it is right to the top, and then tried the foot brake again and it was hard and then the pressure went and it went right down again, got a friend coming to look at it later, any ideas please.

Poacher
18th January 2018, 13:20
Its just had new pads on about six weeks ago and the brakes have been spot on till this dinner time.

roverbarmy
18th January 2018, 14:29
A sticking caliper can overheat the pads and caliper, boiling the fluid. Check for any fluid leakage. Recheck the new pads. Sometimes, the clips at the back can distort on fitting. Check for air leaks on the servo piping. ;) It could be the master cylinder seals going.

Poacher
18th January 2018, 14:52
A sticking caliper can overheat the pads and caliper, boiling the fluid. Check for any fluid leakage. Recheck the new pads. Sometimes, the clips at the back can distort on fitting. Check for air leaks on the servo piping. ;) It could be the master cylinder seals going.

Just tried the brakes again and they work , the pedal is soft but stop the car went to the end of the street and back and worked but very soft and then went again..

mh007
18th January 2018, 15:42
Looks like you have double-posted.

Poacher
18th January 2018, 15:57
Looks like you have double-posted.

Sorry about double posting I put the problem on the wrong one, saw I should be on the tech forum.

philm
18th January 2018, 16:14
before spending out on a new MC try replacing the brake fluid with fresh fluid preferably pressure bled which will hopefully help to move any particles of crud that may be stopping the seals seating properly may help than again may not.

roverbarmy
18th January 2018, 16:48
As Phil says, you need to check methodically, wheel to wheel, for any leaks at the wheels, also on the pipework between, check for air (vacuum) leaks at the servo and when all has checked out, bleed the system with fresh fluid before suspecting the master cylinder. When all that is done, start looking at the MC.

Poacher
18th January 2018, 17:04
My friend who is a mechanic ( does not know much about 75's )has just had a look and he still thinks it is the master cylinder I told him about the help I have had from the members on here and the things that could be wrong with the brakes and he still thinks they are wrong without checking anything and it needs a new MC which is nearly impossible to get and when I said someone in the club ( Mickboy ) could get me a used one his answer was how long will it last and it will be a big job to do it and bleed after etc. and expensive.. After years of using him with other makes of car I am not sure if he wants to do the repair on the 75.
Can you advise me please, I think I should go to another mechanic/garage.

madeupname
18th January 2018, 17:27
With all due respect Rob, I would trust members on here, above garage mechanics, any day. Irrespective of how much experience those mechanics have.
On here we have a collection of members who between them know everything that can be known about our cars.
Have a look through the forum for traders etc. close by to you, and get in touch with one to see if they can help :}

Poacher
18th January 2018, 18:10
With all due respect Rob, I would trust members on here, above garage mechanics, any day. Irrespective of how much experience those mechanics have.
On here we have a collection of members who between them know everything that can be known about our cars.
Have a look through the forum for traders etc. close by to you, and get in touch with one to see if they can help :}

Thank you and that is why when I got my 75 Tourer I joined the club as I value experience of owners who have them, previously I had a Rover 45 Spirit S.

Mike Noc
18th January 2018, 18:50
I think I should go to another mechanic/garage.

:wot::iagree::wot: Yes I couldn't agree more. Preferably someone who knows these cars.

Mickyboy
18th January 2018, 19:17
As for how long will it last, well nobody knows that but, I don’t supply many so I’d suggest they tend to last pretty well, especially as I had one in for breaking last year with 279,000 miles and what appeared to be a original still fitted.
Mick

Poacher
19th January 2018, 06:30
As for how long will it last, well nobody knows that but, I don’t supply many so I’d suggest they tend to last pretty well, especially as I had one in for breaking last year with 279,000 miles and what appeared to be a original still fitted.
Mick

Thanks Mickyboy I will try a find someone who knows about 75's and if it is the MC i will get one from you, thank you for your help mate.

NigelOBB
19th January 2018, 20:37
Try pm’ing Trikey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COLVERT
19th January 2018, 21:21
As the brakes sort of recovered then went then recovered again indicates that the piston seal in the master cylinder is collapsing ( The fact that the reservoir is still full indicates this. )

New seals or possibly a new master cylinder is needed.

It is not a difficult job to replace no matter what that mechanic said.

Have the job done by only someone who knows his way around an R75.--:D

Poacher
22nd January 2018, 09:11
Thanks Colvert, trying to get someone who knows what he is doing to look at it today.

Vanbursta
22nd January 2018, 15:56
Quick test.

If the fluid level is not dropping:-

Sit in the car and stomp on the pedal quickly, if it goes hard then travels slowly to the floor it will be most likely be Master Cylinder. If you push it gently and it travels to the floor immediately, could be a seal leaking somewhere. Or a flexible pipe ballooning.

If the fluid level is dropping:-

There is a leak somewhere, you need to find it. Sometimes the fluid can leak past the master cylinder seals into the servo, in which case the car will have blue smoke out of the exhaust (the brake fluid gets sucked into the inlet manifold and burns off). Could be leaking at any (or all) of the following

Flexible pipes / connectors
Caliper / pipe to caliper connection
Perforated brake pipe

Wherever it's going it will be immediately obvious when you find it.

I wouldn't drive the car until you've fixed it, if you have an accident knowing the brakes to be faulty, it could be very bad.