PDA

View Full Version : CDTi cabin vibrations

goofysth
20th January 2018, 19:33
Hello to all,

I had some vibrations in cabin (steering wheel, dashboards etc.) and i found out that my lower engine mount is messed up, so i changed it.

Vibrations disappeared for some time, and now reappeared with these symptoms:
- When idling (~780 rpm), steering wheel is shaking and making lots of noise
- When accelerating (1600-1800 rpm) dashboard is making noise

I removed all the plastics and no wires or other parts behind the dashboard are making noise, so i think it is excessive noise is coming from engine bay.

After forum research i found out that maybe hydromount is making troubles, but as i can see, it looks pretty good.

Does anyone has any idea on this frustrating-vibrating situation? And how can i test the hydromount?

trebor
20th January 2018, 20:28
my dashboard doesnt make a noise but the steering wheel at idle has an awful vibration, I have replaced the bottom engine mount and fitted a brand new hydromount but its made no difference, so gearbox mount is next on my list.

By the way vibration can also be down to injectors but mine have been tested and well within spec

goofysth
20th January 2018, 21:33
my dashboard doesnt make a noise but the steering wheel at idle has an awful vibration, I have replaced the bottom engine mount and fitted a brand new hydromount but its made no difference, so gearbox mount is next on my list.

By the way vibration can also be down to injectors but mine have been tested and well within spec

Thanks Trebor.
Yep, mine injectors are also very good.

What lower engine mount you put? Powerflex or genuine? Some words say that powerflex can be the cause...

Daveluck
20th January 2018, 23:41
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=167335&highlight=Steering+column

A little light reading for you...

genpk
21st January 2018, 11:12
Hydramount can look fine but be knackered.
My diesel had similar issues, looked at the hydramount, no leaks , looked fine.
Removed it and the rubber had cracked right through but there was no leaking fluid.
Changed it and it was a lot better vibration wise.

JMW
21st January 2018, 19:57
Hello to all,

I had some vibrations in cabin (steering wheel, dashboards etc.) and i found out that my lower engine mount is messed up, so i changed it.

Vibrations disappeared for some time, and now reappeared with these symptoms:
- When idling (~780 rpm), steering wheel is shaking and making lots of noise
- When accelerating (1600-1800 rpm) dashboard is making noise

I removed all the plastics and no wires or other parts behind the dashboard are making noise, so i think it is excessive noise is coming from engine bay.

After forum research i found out that maybe hydromount is making troubles, but as i can see, it looks pretty good.

Does anyone has any idea on this frustrating-vibrating situation? And how can i test the hydromount?

I had a similar vibration with mine when I first got it, changed the lower mount, hydro and upper mount and that sorted it, the lower engine mount although looking new was in fact the wrong one, it was from the petrol version so check that yours doesn’t have a T stamped on it as that is the the wrong one for you diesel.

goofysth
22nd January 2018, 09:43
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=167335&highlight=Steering+column

A little light reading for you...

This is a nice read Daveluck :)
I have to check the hangers and hydramount.

Actually, my hydramount looks very good from the top...
How difficult is to change the hydramount?

Daveluck
22nd January 2018, 12:05
This is a nice read Daveluck :)
I have to check the hangers and hydramount.

Actually, my hydramount looks very good from the top...
How difficult is to change the hydramount?

fairly easy...you just need to take your time.

The thing is, generally you wont know if your top hydramount is OK until you take off the mount that sits on top of it. Mine looked OK but when the weight of the engine was removed and the mounting you could see it was knackered.

the hydramount has a machined top and a special tool is available to help you remove it and tighten the new one. I made my own from a length of tubing while others use a cold chisel and hammer very carefully drift the hyrdamount on and off.

There are plenty of threads about it.

bsafly
5th February 2018, 21:45
I had similar symptoms with my mk1 connie CDTI tourer, turned out to be fractured exhaust just behind the cat, may be worth a look (oddly, no exhaust smells in the cabin, and no excess exhaust noise!)

Arctic
6th February 2018, 11:15
I had a similar vibration with mine when I first got it, changed the lower mount, hydro and upper mount and that sorted it, the lower engine mount although looking new was in fact the wrong one, it was from the petrol version so check that yours doesn’t have a T stamped on it as that is the the wrong one for you diesel.

The highlighted information is wrong I am afraid, as the lower engine mount with the letter T stamped on it is in fact the correct one for the diesel, and is the original mount.

Lower engine mount for Petrol 1.8T 1.8 is stamped with a letter M

Lower engine mount for Petrol 2.5 2.0 is stamped with a letter P

Lower engine mount for diesel 2.0 is stamped with a letter T

Mickyboy
6th February 2018, 18:13
The highlighted information is wrong I am afraid, as the lower engine mount with the letter T stamped on it is in fact the correct one for the diesel, and is the original mount.

Lower engine mount for Petrol 1.8T 1.8 is stamped with a letter M

Lower engine mount for Petrol 2.5 2.0 is stamped with a letter P

Lower engine mount for diesel 2.0 is stamped with a letter T

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately the stamp marks are no longer relevant as the manufacturer now places coloured dots on the rubber mounts to indicate if they are for diesel or petrol,
I think that this can lead to all sorts of issues as people could place a coloured dot on a mount and sell it on as a diesel or as a petrol which ever they preferred.
I have attached the information that I confirmed with rimmers recently, in fact the colour dot came to my attention most recently, when I removed a lower mount and found an odd colour dot

I didn’t want to seem to be contradicting you Steve. But I thought you would be interested to know this.
Mick

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/260705a79fd2c1be5c.jpg

Arctic
7th February 2018, 01:25
Hi Mick.
Yes I knew about the above having dots put on them, personally I think it can and will lead to abuse, and 1.8 mounts will have the yellow dot added and sold as a diesel mount, but with an higher price.

I have contacted a seller whom I used to purchase the original diesel mounts from to see if they are able to still get hold of the mount with the letter T on it, I am awaiting a reply if and when I get one I will report back.

I would not want to fit one to my diesel as you can not be sure in my opinion therefore I would go for a power flex or even a Jag mount which can be modified to fit.

goofysth
7th February 2018, 08:13
Hi Mick.
Yes I knew about the above having dots put on them, personally I think it can and will lead to abuse, and 1.8 mounts will have the yellow dot added and sold as a diesel mount, but with an higher price.

I have contacted a seller whom I used to purchase the original diesel mounts from to see if they are able to still get hold of the mount with the letter T on it, I am awaiting a reply if and when I get one I will report back.

I would not want to fit one to my diesel as you can not be sure in my opinion therefore I would go for a power flex or even a Jag mount which can be modified to fit.

Great research guys :bowdown:

Well, i put powerflex 6 months ago and vibrations disappeared, and i was perfectly satisfied with it until now...

Now, vibrations reappeared, and i am quite sure that hydramount is the reason! I'll get back with the results soon.

genpk
7th February 2018, 22:25
Ive just fitted a diesel powerflex bush after having fitted a DMGR rubber one about 4 months of use.
The rubber one was still ok but I was still getting sime movement.
I did the hydramount a while back and will say initially the diesel powerflex lower mount seems a lot less vibration , so impressed thus far . Time will tell .
Make sure you use the diesel specific one.
Also put powerflex lower wishbone bushes in same time- it all helps.