PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Compensator - Centre console

T16
22nd January 2018, 02:42
My handbrake naturally requires sorting, even on a steep drive at a family members house 1st gear is not enough to keep the car from moving down the drive.

Question is, if I have the centre console out, how much easier does that make the job from above? Carpet still has to come up, or with the whole console out is that all that is required for access?

Finally, I forget who does the stainless ones now, is it still Arctic or....?

Sorry for all the questions, my memory is terrible and when I did the job before it was from underneath!

steve-45
22nd January 2018, 03:25
Yes, Arctic is the man for stainless compensators.

Heddy
22nd January 2018, 06:03
It is easier with the console out but doable by just lifting it. Certainly much easier when removed if you're going to fit the 'Mini' version compensator (recommended)

T16
22nd January 2018, 11:50
Im taking the console out anyway... so Im wondering how much easier does that make the job if the whole things out?

Still need to cut/raise carpets? Or is there enough clearance that its all good with the whole thing out the car?

Arctic
22nd January 2018, 11:51
HI Ross.
Yes by far easier if the console is out of the car for a Mini R53 to be fitted as the whole cable and compensator as to be replaced.

If the console is still in place then do it from the rear as in the link below fore the SSC compensator.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1670870&postcount=102

Link for the Mini R53
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257477&page=3

jordimussol
22nd January 2018, 12:01
I recently adjusted mine, was a pig to do with the console in. I just used a long reach 13mm ratchet.

I also ended up taking rear wheels off and adjusting the drum brakes. I also discovered that these cars have rear disc and drums.

The handbrake is still a bit loose, but right at the top much better. Hope it'll pass MOT in two months.

T16
22nd January 2018, 12:07
HI Ross.
Yes by far easier if the console is out of the car for a Mini R53 to be fitted as the whole cable and compensator as to be replaced.

If the console is still in place then do it from the rear as in the link below fore the SSC compensator.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1670870&postcount=102

Link for the Mini R53
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257477&page=3

I want to order up a modded stainless one, prefer that to the mine one.

If the console is out, carpets still have to come up, or is there that much better access?

cheers.

Arctic
22nd January 2018, 12:09
I recently adjusted mine, was a pig to do with the console in. I just used a long reach 13mm ratchet.

I also ended up taking rear wheels off and adjusting the drum brakes. I also discovered that these cars have rear disc and drums.

The handbrake is still a bit loose, but right at the top much better. Hope it'll pass MOT in two months.

Hi Danny
Your compensator will have stretched therefore you will not get it to hold perfectly until you changed it, have read the link above ;)

Arctic
22nd January 2018, 12:13
I want to order up a modded stainless one, prefer that to the mine one.

If the console is out, carpets still have to come up, or is there that much better access?

cheers.

If the console is out and the seats still in then yes the carpet will still need to be lifted at the rear as in the how to in the link, but the carpet will be a lot easier to lift with the console out.

Drop me a PM if you want to order one I will need your old compensator back, i modified some in the week and have a couple left.

If you prefer the Mini R53
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=257477&page=3 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257477&page=3)

rab60bit
22nd January 2018, 12:19
Take Arctic's advice, read the links.
IMHO go for the Mini R53 compensator if you can get hold of one - I think I paid around £10 plus postage for a brand new assembly, fitting was a bit of a pig but if you follow Arctic's 'How to' it's just like 1, 2, 3.... and it's a really worthwhile mod. The handbrake is now spot on and will only require adjustment if the brake shoes wear (or the unlikely possibility that the cable[s] stretch).

T16
22nd January 2018, 12:29
Im fine with the original stainless one.

Not sure why, I just prefer it, looks beefier.

madeupname
22nd January 2018, 14:27
Hi Ross, I changed Mo's with the seats and carpet out, and more recently Kims with the seats, carpet and console in place.
Mo's was by far easier, but Kims was complicated by the adjusting nut being threaded so I had to change both the compensator and the short handbrake cable. I did this by taking the handbrake off and cropping the old cable.
Once you get the back of the carpet up and have the compensator cover off, it's a piece of cake :}

T16
22nd January 2018, 14:30
I get you..

So easier to pop the front seats out, and then roll the carpet forward maybe.

madeupname
22nd January 2018, 14:56
Yep. That will also give you the opportunity to make sure the airbag/pre-tensioner connectors are clean :}
But don't forget to disconnect the battery and wait about 20/30 minutes for the airbag battery backup thingy to discharge before fiddling with the airbag connectors.

T16
22nd January 2018, 17:30
Right so seats out, console out...

On a Mk2 that mean the rear seat front and the two side trims under the sealbelt pillars have got to come off too?, or just loosened at the bottom edge?

When thats done, easiest to roll the carpet from the rear, or the side?

madeupname
22nd January 2018, 18:00
Right so seats out, console out...

On a Mk2 that mean the rear seat front and the two side trims under the sealbelt pillars have got to come off too?, or just loosened at the bottom edge?

When thats done, easiest to roll the carpet from the rear, or the side?

I'd take the back carpet strips off and just pull out the seatbelt trims.
If all you're doing is the compensator, the carpet just pulls out from beneath the two rear pillar trims, lift the rear seat cushion to do this and to unhook from the cushion studs. With the seats out the back of the carpet will fold forward enough to get at the compensator cover. I found that with the seats in place I couldn't easily get the carpet up enough to get to the side bolts on the cover.

marinabrian
22nd January 2018, 19:32
Im fine with the original stainless one.

Not sure why, I just prefer it, looks beefier.

Ross, the design of the mini compensator is just that, it is not a cable splitter like the original design, and ergo the stainless shackle variant and actually works much better in practice ;)

As you are removing the centre console, go for the mini version, I did just that actually replacing the modified compensator I had fitted to my wife's car, the handbrake will now hold the car on the steepest incline on two clicks :drool4:

Brian :D

T16
22nd January 2018, 23:04
Too late :p

Payment sent for SS version.

Stick with what I know. If i liked change I wouldnt still be knocking around in a ZT :)

Andy24601
1st November 2019, 17:32
I bought an adapted compensator from Arctic (you post him your old one after you've fitted the shiny new one - very efficient service). It works really well and, given the fact you have to take so many bits off to fit a new one, it is very reassuring to know that it won't stretch.
After fitting, it was just a case of replacing both rear back plates (unbolt/remove the wheel hubs) , springs, clips and shoes and then adjusting everything - all reasonably straightforward although I have now spent all my pocket money for the next few months - oh well...