PDA

View Full Version : Reversing sensors constant beep

crashmarks
22nd January 2018, 13:52
Hello
My car is a 2003 Rover 75 Con Se Auto CDTi Mk1 Tourer - which has recently begun to go almost straight into a constant beep when i engage reverse. The fault is intermittent in that it only happens about 50% of the time the other 50% they work exactly as they should. I have read a few older posts which suggest if a sensor is faulty it wont click but I have found that even when mine has gone into constant beep mode when it shouldn't have, all my individual sensors they are all still clicking rapidly suggesting they are working. Any other ideas has anybody come across this before.

Yorkshire GOC
22nd January 2018, 14:13
Hello
My car is a 2003 Rover 75 Con Se Auto CDTi Mk1 Tourer - which has recently begun to go almost straight into a constant beep when i engage reverse. The fault is intermittent in that it only happens about 50% of the time the other 50% they work exactly as they should. I have read a few older posts which suggest if a sensor is faulty it wont click but I have found that even when mine has gone into constant beep mode when it shouldn't have, all my individual sensors they are all still clicking rapidly suggesting they are working. Any other ideas has anybody come across this before.

I have the same , can go months and all is fine then usually following a pothole it starts the constant beep , am advised by folk well up on these things, is that there is an intermittent short/loose wire on the sensor wiring loom.

NigelOBB
22nd January 2018, 18:53
It could be a break in the loom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev75
22nd January 2018, 19:36
Check for paint bubbles on the face of the senders, mine did the same as yours,
cleaned up and painted ok since

kev

alanaslan
22nd January 2018, 21:03
Hello

Check the control pack in the Tourers they have a habit of getting damp due to the breathing vanes on the inside of the wheel arch.
Sometimes the saloons also get damp if it’s ECU pack is faulty due to damp and won’t dry out the cheapest option is to fit a ten pound aftermarket one it is about a 45 min job to do this and you would never know it had been done.
I automatically when working on others cars or when I get a new one I always coat the parking sensor control box in two or three coats of conforming spray from RS.
Also treat the diesel ECU in the front plenum with the stuff means if it ever gets wet it is protected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsemm
25th January 2018, 09:18
Hello to all :) Just bought mine and have similar problem. was getting dreaded long beep, found one of sensors failed (no click) replaced it so now they all click! but....no nothing at all when engage reverse i.e no beep .... can't be speaker as it worked before. all sensors clicking so assume problem with ecu thingy? (dead technical me!)?

Lovin the car otherwise (2002 diesel saloon) changed all oil/filters etc which was obviously a thing the previous owner considered to be a waste of time judging by the state of filters! thanks to all information here which is really useful.

bendrick
25th January 2018, 11:38
Hello

I had the same on the car that I recently bought ( described as happening occasionally by the seller. One can only presume that occasionally means 95% of the time )

Upon inspection Jules in Colwyn Bay tells me that two new sensors are required plus a small circuit board.

I had him isolate it for now to stop the intensly annoying constant beep when in reverse whilst I bring other more important things up to scratch. The repair isn't hugely expensive but can wait for now in my case

richardtricksterrichard
12th April 2022, 01:00
Hi all , just thought I'd jump in and give my experience on this matter . Same thing happened to me recently. My 2005 contemporary suffered this about 80% of the time , which made it even more difficult to trace the problem. Anyway, after all the usual tests and checks , I found the problem was the wiring loom which went to the far off side sensor , it had been rubbing on the reinforced square metal section just behind the bumper, and over the years had worn through the insulation and grounded out on the metal part and had actually become stuck to it through the arcing action, I could just manage to squeeze my hand in to release the loom from the metal, and silicon a piece of plastic between the loom and the metal it rested on .... result.... perfect working sensors once again,. And didn't have to remove the bumper......

richardtricksterrichard
12th April 2022, 01:01
Hi all , just thought I'd jump in and give my experience on this matter . Same thing happened to me recently. My 2005 contemporary suffered this about 80% of the time , which made it even more difficult to trace the problem. Anyway, after all the usual tests and checks , I found the problem was the wiring loom which went to the far off side sensor , it had been rubbing on the reinforced square metal section just behind the bumper, and over the years had worn through the insulation and grounded out on the metal part and had actually become stuck to it through the arcing action, I could just manage to squeeze my hand in to release the loom from the metal, and silicon a piece of plastic between the loom and the metal it rested on .... result.... perfect working sensors once again,. And didn't have to remove the bumper......