PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control retrofit - simple questions (honest)

goltho
23rd January 2018, 17:16
Happily my loom is present and correct behind the switch panel. When the last of my parts arrive this week, I'll be installing, so a coupla three clarity questions about the connectors & switch.

1. Presumably C0082 (wheel) forms part of the loom and will be behind the air bag
2. C0095 (CCIU) will be behind the glove box (had no chance to look yet)
3. There will be no need to touch C0031 (ECU)

Finally, what mods do I need to do on C0749 (master switch) wiring to effectively bypass it so CC is automatically available by default.

Thanks,

Dougie.

goofysth
24th January 2018, 13:23
Happily my loom is present and correct behind the switch panel. When the last of my parts arrive this week, I'll be installing, so a coupla three clarity questions about the connectors & switch.

1. Presumably C0082 (wheel) forms part of the loom and will be behind the air bag
2. C0095 (CCIU) will be behind the glove box (had no chance to look yet)
3. There will be no need to touch C0031 (ECU)

Finally, what mods do I need to do on C0749 (master switch) wiring to effectively bypass it so CC is automatically available by default.

Thanks,

Dougie.

I retrofitted it without any mods on my CDTi Auto. But all the loom was present for me.
I don't have the wiring here atm, but i will take a look at Rave to see what you should connect to let CC be automatically ON.

Also, have in mind that you will need T4 or TOAF to reset the ECU after you retrofit everything, otherwise CC will work, but with some strange behaviour :)

goltho
24th January 2018, 14:33
I retrofitted it without any mods on my CDTi Auto. But all the loom was present for me.
I'm almost certain it is on mine too. Weather is still stopping play though, grrr.

I don't have the wiring here atm, but i will take a look at Rave to see what you should connect to let CC be automatically ON.
Great, thanks.

Also, have in mind that you will need T4 or TOAF to reset the ECU after you retrofit everything, otherwise CC will work, but with some strange behaviour :)
I've only ever seen that the Resume function is inoperative without T4, which I don't care about.

Dougie.

goofysth
24th January 2018, 14:48
I've only ever seen that the Resume function is inoperative without T4, which I don't care about.

Dougie.

Well, Resume will not work, for sure...
What happened to me is after few cycles of turning ON and OFF during one drive, it just stopped working.

There is a trick how to reset the ECU with either T4 or TOAF, you can just read the codes from ECU to the .txt file (very simple process) and ECU will be restarted. :D:D:D

You will try that in the end after retrofitting, so you can use your CC like a boss :)

pletevl
25th January 2018, 06:57
Please let me know what you think of CC on a diesel auto, especially on the motorway,

I don't use mine anymore because it just revs it's nuts off to try to get to the selected speed as fast as possible, and as for going up hills, it changes up a gear and the engine screams

Unless something is wrong with mine ? or maybe there is a special version for auto diesels ? or an option that needs ticking ?

I really do hate it on the motorway.

Pete

goltho
25th January 2018, 08:27
I don't use mine anymore because it just revs it's nuts off to try to get to the selected speed as fast as possible, and as for going up hills, it changes up a gear and the engine screams

If you're pressing and holding Set when accelerating from (say) your joining speed, it will certainly get its toe down in the same way it would if you used the accelerator heavily. It's the same on inclines. You have to judge how it will react. I often knock it off (I've had CC on other vehicles for years) when I know the incline will cause the CC to be crude about how it keeps the car up to speed, so I can drive it more steadily. If it costs me 5 or 10mph in the process on steeper inclines, that's easily regained in seconds back on the level, which is when I resume my regained speed with the CC.

There's nothing faulty with yours. It's doing exactly what you're telling it to. :) Try gaining your desired cruising speed on motorways and locking it at that point with Set. The clue's in the description (cruise control). It's not an acceleration control - that's you. ;)

Dougie.

bendrick
25th January 2018, 11:52
Please let me know what you think of CC on a diesel auto, especially on the motorway,

Unless something is wrong with mine ? or maybe there is a special version for auto diesels ? or an option that needs ticking ?

I really do hate it on the motorway.

Pete

Mines fine on a diesel auto.

I'd get it checked out.

pletevl
25th January 2018, 14:37
I fitted it, just wondering if the auto one is different to manual cars.
It just does all it can to get up the speed as quickly as possible,

like a boy racer.

goltho
25th January 2018, 15:51
It just does all it can to get up the speed as quickly as possible ....like a boy racer.

Obviously an MG part then. :laughing2:

goltho
25th January 2018, 16:04

I now have all the parts for the installation which I started today. The CCIU was a 10-min job with the unused connector sitting patiently behind the glovebox waiting to do something after 13 years. :)

At what point does the yellow CC light starting working on the dash? Switch is wired & lights up but no dash light. I'm assuming it will be when the buttons are connected on the wheel?

Dougie.

marinabrian
25th January 2018, 16:51
I now have all the parts for the installation which I started today. The CCIU was a 10-min job with the unused connector sitting patiently behind the glovebox waiting to do something after 13 years. :)

At what point does the yellow CC light starting working on the dash? Switch is wired & lights up but no dash light. I'm assuming it will be when the buttons are connected on the wheel?

Dougie.

If you fancy going along to Trikey's meet on the 17th of February, I'll enable it properly for you ;)

There is nothing more annoying that having to press resume to light up the cruise symbol, and having it lit constantly whether cruise is being used or not ;)

Just like a factory install, rather than a bodge :getmecoat:

Brian :D

goltho
25th January 2018, 17:44
If you fancy going along to Trikey's meet on the 17th of February, I'll enable it properly for you ;)
Abso-f....lippin-lootly!! :grouphug: It's only up the road from me! Who do I notify?

There is nothing more annoying that having to press resume to light up the cruise symbol, and having it lit constantly whether cruise is being used or not ;)

Well since you put it that way, then I wholeheartedly agree with you!! :D You're a gentleman and possibly a scholar.

Dougie.

PS Wanna do a 160 remap for me while you're at it....??

marinabrian
25th January 2018, 18:23
Abso-f....lippin-lootly!! :grouphug: It's only up the road from me! Who do I notify?

Well since you put it that way, then I wholeheartedly agree with you!! :D You're a gentleman and possibly a scholar.

Dougie.

PS Wanna do a 160 remap for me while you're at it....??

I can sort you out with a few extra ponies, no problem :drool4:

Brian :D

goofysth
25th January 2018, 22:42

Dougie.

Yes, i think you must connect steering wheel commands to get it all working. I cannot start Rave for some reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goltho
25th January 2018, 23:34
Yes, i think you must connect steering wheel commands to get it all working. I cannot start Rave for some reason...

No worries. I've ordered Rave this evening for future work, and Brian's kindly offered (above) to put the final touch on the install so I'll have Resume working as a bonus. :)

Dougie.

goofysth
26th January 2018, 06:04
No worries. I've ordered Rave this evening for future work, and Brian's kindly offered (above) to put the final touch on the install so I'll have Resume working as a bonus. :)

Dougie.

Nice. I wish you enjoy the car totally :) and make some more mods and retrofits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goltho
27th January 2018, 18:13
:hurray:

Absolute piece of cake in the end and found it was not necessary at all to remove the steering wheel.:bigsmile: Switch & CCIU were plug & play. I pulled the airbag fuse rather than disconnect the battery and left it for 30 minutes, as whilst I'd taken the precaution to run the code-disable feature on my radio (VDO CD413x), I really did not wish to find it hadn't worked and be left with a radio with no code.

Airbag removed (T30 torx driver), removed the old horn buttons and ICE components and fitted my new ones with the CC buttons not yet mounted inside the wheel. Took the car for a test drive and found it worked (yay), although with the restrictions noted below.

It looked perfectly straightforward to make the cutout template on the plastic steering wheel body without the bullache of removing it, so used a piece of stiff paper, pressed it into the existing ICE cutout, creased the shape, cut it out, laid it in place on the right-hand side, and drew the outline on the inside of the plastic body. Then out with the dremmel, easy access, easy cut, removed the burrs, and pushed the new CC switch into place with a satisfying click. Fastened brackets, tidied loom inside the wheel, and went in for a glass of Talisker Skye seeing it was by now dark. :cool2: The airbag can whistle for it until the morning.

Restrictions
This has been a straightforward install with the CC wiring already on the car. I knew the Resume function wasn't going to work and it didn't. However, this is the sequence of operation when driving, without T4 intervention after the installation:-

1. Switch cruise on at lower panel lighted switch (beside heated seats switches)
2. Press Resume (turns on CC, indicated by dash light)
3. Press Set and use in the normal way
4. Brake (disconnects CC in the normal way)
5. Press Set again and use in the normal way
however
if you press Resume again at any point, this turns the CC off completely. Restarting it is from 1. above.

I was happy enough to live with the expectation that Resume would simply not work, but having it act this way isn't acceptable. I'm therefore looking forward to having it tweaked on 17th Feb.:D

Cost - all from eBay
CCIU: £28.50
Switch: £10.00 (came on a 4-switch panel with the other switches - perfect)
Steering wheel controls: £18.00
Total cost: £56.50, 90 minutes using 1 x Phillips screwdriver, 1 x T30 driver, 1 x dremmel, 1 x zip tie

Bargain if you ask me.:D But the main thing to mention is that I would not have contemplated it without the forum, which is a magic resource. So much so that I'm going to shell out a tenner and contribute to the cause. Thanks.

Dougie.