PDA

View Full Version : Red light flashing ZT190

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 20:35
Hi.. Picked up my ZT190 on Saturday, very pleased with it, though today I was over taking a 40mph slow moving vehicle, dropped down to 4th and gave it a bit of welly, I noticed a red warning light flashing on (I think) the top area of the dash.

I was too busy concentrating on the road at the time to focus on what it was, and then it went out.

Any idea what it could be?

Looking in the manual I'm thinking it could be 'low Engine Coolent' warning light, as I've had a similar scenario happen while driving my quattro.

Only thing is, in the manual it says that warning light is only for diesel models only?

suzublu
23rd January 2018, 20:43
If you have an instrument pack with digital speedo enabled, it could have been an exceed limit warning:shrug::}

Dansrockin
23rd January 2018, 20:44
Could it be low oil?

Dallas
23rd January 2018, 20:46
Hi.. Picked up my ZT190 on Saturday, very pleased with it, though today I was over taking a 40mph slow moving vehicle, dropped down to 4th and gave it a bit of welly, I noticed a red warning light flashing on (I think) the top area of the dash.

I was too busy concentrating on the road at the time to focus on what it was, and then it went out.

Looking in the manual I'm thinking it could be 'low Engine Coolent' warning light, as I've had a similar scenario happen while driving my quattro.

Only thing is, in the manual it says that warning light is only for diesel models only?

That sounds like the check door/bonnet/boot warning light, the problem will be your bonnet switch triggering the warning light. As you were overtaking at high speeds the wind would have lifted the bonnet slightly and triggered the open circuit.

sewerman
23rd January 2018, 20:51
the 120 kph speed warning symbol is red and in the bottom right hand corner of the top section of the low line instrument cluster 120 kph is about 75 mph so you might have passed it briefly?

wouldn't harm to check the coolant though.

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 20:54
If you have an instrument pack with digital speedo enabled, it could have been an exceed limit warning:shrug::}

It's not got the lcd screen if that's what you mean?
Just bog standard warning lights.

suzublu
23rd January 2018, 20:58
It's not got the lcd screen if that's what you mean?
Just bog standard warning lights.

Then I would go with Wes's theory of bonnet open warning:cool:

Typhoon190
23rd January 2018, 21:06
Check the coolant level as a matter of urgency anyway. Better safe than sorry. There isn't a coolant level sensor on these, only an engine overheat.

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 21:13
That sounds like the check door/bonnet/boot warning light, the problem will be your bonnet switch triggering the warning light. As you were overtaking at high speeds the wind would have lifted the bonnet slightly and triggered the open circuit.

Funny thing.. I felt it did have a certain look to it that looked like the door open light.

I did have the bonnet open this morning cause I was checking the condition of the air filter.

Could the bonnet need a bit more effort when closing it? :shrug:

kelvo
23rd January 2018, 21:15

Hi Gareth, glad the car is going ok. Double check the bonnet switch, I have had the bonnet warning flash up on the car a couple of times before - noticed it a couple of times in strong winds.

I always tend to the let bonnet drop the last 6" so it shuts properly

Dallas
23rd January 2018, 21:23
Funny thing.. I felt it did have a certain look to it that looked like the door open light.

I did have the bonnet open this morning cause I was checking the condition of the air filter.

Could the bonnet need a bit more effort when closing it? :shrug:

Sometimes the slam panel and bonnet will need adjusting, do you have a larger than normal gap along the front where bonnet meets grill and lights etc?

Basically the bonnet switch has its pin protruding higher than normal, you can take off the rubber sleeve and introduce a small rubber cap onto the plastic pin, and then replace the rubber sleeve on top. This allows the bonnet to reach the pin and tell the switch the bonnet is closed.

...or

You can stick a small pad under the bonnet inline with the switch, this allows the bonnet to reach and trigger the pin as above. :D

suzublu
23rd January 2018, 21:31
Plus of course the catches may not be, err, catching. The half moons may need lubrication & the slam panel bolts may need loosening a tad ;)

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 21:43
Hi Gareth, glad the car is going ok. Double check the bonnet switch, I have had the bonnet warning flash up on the car a couple of times before - noticed it a couple of times in strong winds.

I always tend to the let bonnet drop the last 6" so it shuts properly

Hi mate. That's useful to know. Hopefully that's all it is.

Might go out now and take a look.

kelvo
23rd January 2018, 21:59
Hi mate. That's useful to know. Hopefully that's all it is.

Might go out now and take a look.

That's all I did was open and shut the bonnet again, I never like pressing down on the bonnet to shut it, might be worth checking the bonnet buffers are not a bit tight - dropping the bonnet the last bit might just compress them that little bit more than just by just pushing

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 21:59
the 120 kph speed warning symbol is red and in the bottom right hand corner of the top section of the low line instrument cluster 120 kph is about 75 mph so you might have passed it briefly?

wouldn't harm to check the coolant though.

Is that speed light always active? Or does it need to be 'enabled' some how? Can't say I've ever seen it illuminated. Guess I'm just not trying hard enough.. :D

Mgaz
23rd January 2018, 22:42
Check the coolant level as a matter of urgency anyway. Better safe than sorry. There isn't a coolant level sensor on these, only an engine overheat.

That's surprising. Even my 31 year old quattro has a low coolant warning light. :shrug:

To me that seems quite an important warning light to be missing! :duh:

maxi_crawf
24th January 2018, 11:20

the 190 does have a low coolant warning light on the lowline display. it's just not connected to anything.

T-Cut
24th January 2018, 15:13
If there's a slight slop/rattle when the bonnet's fully locked down, the air ram will lift it off the sensor and pop the warning. If the locked bonnet is totally rigid, then the locking pins may be set too high. You alter this by screwing them slightly tighter into the bonnet/lock-nuts.
Quite often, just screwing the bonnet corner rubber buffers down half a turn will allow the thing to sit tighter onto the sensor switch. If that doesn't do it, stick a gap filler/cork disk on the bonnet edge where the sensor switch touches.

eDit: I have some photos, but PhotoBucket seems to be down atm.

TC

Yorkshire GOC
24th January 2018, 18:31
That's surprising. Even my 31 year old quattro has a low coolant warning light. :shrug:

To me that seems quite an important warning light to be missing! :duh:

Totally agree -that's why i fitted one of these - see link below - you can also rig up an in tank coolant level sensor -there is a how to on the site.:shrug:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Zee-K-Bus-Digital-Temperature-Gauge-for-Rover-75-MG-ZT-DIY-Self-Fit-Kit/132359953363?hash=item1ed1449bd3:g:m1cAAOSwtfhYsZw N