PDA

View Full Version : Diesel water pump quick question

Hantsdave
24th January 2018, 08:43
Morning chaps,

This afternoon I have to change the water pump - nasty squealing and leaking.

She's done 220,000 so I can't complain.

Although there is not a specific how to on this I have found various notes on it enough to sort it but I'm wondering if its best to do this from above or below or a combination?

Also, (as Clarkson used to say) "some say" that you need to remove the wheel arch liner but I don't see the need as long as the belt tensioner can be accessed.

Responses appreciated.

Many thanks

David.

rustymotor
24th January 2018, 08:47
Hi, did my alternator, IMO it's easier to reach the tensioner from below by peeling back the liner and using a slim spanner.

EastPete
24th January 2018, 09:06
Personally, I would do it from the top, taking off the upper right hand engine mount so that you can get a good 'swing' on the belt tensioner bolt. Jacking up the engine a bit will improve access.

However, there is usually more than one way to skin a cat, as they say !Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Pete

Hantsdave
24th January 2018, 09:12
Thanks guys

I've done the tensioner before but my question regarding access above or below referred to the actual water pump swap. It's in a s0d of a place half way down.

D.

EastPete
24th January 2018, 09:16
Thanks guys

I've done the tensioner before but my question regarding access above or below referred to the actual water pump swap. It's in a s0d of a place half way down.

D.

Yes Dave, I realise you were talking about the pump swap, but you have to take the belt off first, then I think that if you jack the engine up slightly, you will get access to the pump - this will be feasible if you have removed the upper engine mount. I would think trying to do it from below or in the wheel arch will be more difficult in my opinion, but I am happy to be proved wrong !

Cheers

Pete

Hantsdave
24th January 2018, 09:22
Cheers Pete

Yes, the mounting does have to come off and the engine supported on a jack, which is what prompted my question about access.... having the engine jacked and then the car jacked to get underneath is a real pain.

I'll just do it. Shame its blowing a gale here and peeing down so I'll have to stick up a tarp.

D.

rustymotor
24th January 2018, 09:27
Personally, I would do it from the top, taking off the upper right hand engine mount so that you can get a good 'swing' on the belt tensioner bolt. Jacking up the engine a bit will improve access.

However, there is usually more than one way to skin a cat, as they say !Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Pete

Just a quick one, be careful jacking the engine one member took out his thermostat housing as he went a touch too far..

Hantsdave
24th January 2018, 10:44
just a quick one, be careful jacking the engine one member took out his thermostat housing as he went a touch too far..

ouch!!!!!!!!

Mike Noc
24th January 2018, 10:54
Morning chaps,

This afternoon I have to change the water pump - nasty squealing and leaking.

She's done 220,000 so I can't complain.

Although there is not a specific how to on this I have found various notes on it enough to sort it but I'm wondering if its best to do this from above or below or a combination?

Also, (as Clarkson used to say) "some say" that you need to remove the wheel arch liner but I don't see the need as long as the belt tensioner can be accessed.

Responses appreciated.

Many thanks

David.

David I found it best to remove the wing inner liner - you will be going in from above and below as you have to cut the tabs on the original gasket as it is fitted for that complete end of the engine at the factory.

rustymotor
24th January 2018, 11:26
Yep ouch it is see picture destroyed the belt:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/397225a687ae68b5bc.jpg

Hantsdave
24th January 2018, 11:53
David I found it best to remove the wing inner liner - you will be going in from above and below as you have to cut the tabs on the original gasket as it is fitted for that complete end of the engine at the factory.

Cheers Mike,

I saw your earlier posting on this subject.

I assume that its harder to see, access and cut the old gasket from above then....

I was just hoping to avoid taking the wheel and liner off that's all.

D.

Mike Noc
25th January 2018, 09:53
Yes plus it makes it easier to get to some of the bolts, to clean up the block mating surface, and to keep an eye on the new gasket to ensure it doesn't slip whilst the new pump is going on.

Every little helps! :D